Post by ousdahl »

Doyel I figured this could use its own thread
sdoyel wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 am The wait continues... meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/jurneesmollett/stat ... 04160?s=21
Deleted User 289

Re: Exit polls

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Dumb question time.
People talk about polls. Pre-election polls and exit polls.
I am 54 years old. I have now voted in 10 Presidential elections. Well, I guess 9 because I abstained in 1.
I have NEVER been "polled".
So..... As I say too often, unless EVERYONE is polled and EVERYONE is 100% truthful, Presidential voting polls are nothing more than assumptions. Often poor ones.
Why do "we" put so much stock in to polls?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess i'll go illy here but if you were a white man you could say the same thing and replace white people with black people, black women, college educated blacks, non-college-educated blacks, black men ( or men of color, women of color etc - the maps would be largely blue ).

So if you were a believer of Trump ( and read my 1st post in election if you want to warp this into me supporting Trump ) and extremely against the policies of the Left ( Biden/Kamala ) you could be concerned about how 'folks' aren't speaking for you.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:43 am Dumb question time.
People talk about polls. Pre-election polls and exit polls.
I am 54 years old. I have now voted in 10 Presidential elections. Well, I guess 9 because I abstained in 1.
I have NEVER been "polled".
So..... As I say too often, unless EVERYONE is polled and EVERYONE is 100% truthful, Presidential voting polls are nothing more than assumptions. Often poor ones.
Why do "we" put so much stock in to polls?
Math
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Even when that "math" has proven to be very wrong 2 elections in a row? Either intentionally or unintentionally.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:51 am Even when that "math" has proven to be very wrong 2 elections in a row? Either intentionally or unintentionally.

What math?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I prefer the polls at The Dirty Bird.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

How can there be “exit polls” when a majority of the votes are mailed in? As we all see how disparate the preference is between those who vote by mail and in person, it’s that much difficult to estimate.

Turns out that the polls weren’t that far off in the Presidential election. It’s the Senate race (Maine, NC) that were quite far off.

Much of the angst we’re facing now is because Pennsylvania was not allowed to process mail in ballots ahead of polls closing as they did in many states. If they were following the same practice as FL, TX or OH it would have all been over by Wednesday morning.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The most consistent issue with all polls is that viewers/readers always forget about the +/- factor. That’s a human problem, not a math problem
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If the popular vote percentages hold, the polling was correct. Trump had about a 44 percent approval rating consistent thru the term. 54 percent disapproved. The scary consistency of the unmovable approval voters through all the scandals was even more motivated to vote. But not quite enough. 48 percent of the vote.