Chicago

Ugh.
Deleted User 310

Re: Chicago

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:21 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Grandma wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:50 pm Two separate unrelated incidents less than an hour apart a block away from each other - and 2 blocks away from where I was when they occurred.
Two/three blocks away from where my mother lives.
A women was mugged at Superior and Rush and someone fired a gun at someone else at Huron and Rush.
It's a daily occurrence in Streeterville, the Gold Coast, and the Mag Mile areas. The "heart" of the city.
What used to be a nice place to live, work, shop, dine, etc., has become a literal war zone.
So..... I am doing my part by bitching to the Mayor, my Alderman, the Police "Superintendent", and I am attending CAPS meetings. My question is what are those who are in charge of and running the city doing about it - and what can they do about it?
I believe the correct answer is - obviously not enough and apparently it seems they don't know what if anything they can do about it - or perhaps they just don't care - because nothing is being done successfully.
I'll tell you what many of the residents and business owners are doing about it - they're not putting up with it nor accepting it and they are leaving.
As they should.
Until something is done.
Playing gutter to gutter here....

But any idea why so many of the most dangerously shitty cities in the country are run by Democrats?
I copied and pasted this here for you. You seem to need it.

"In statistics, the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" refers to the inability to legitimately deduce a cause-and-effect relationship between two variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them."
You live in Nebraska. I will stick to asking the Chicago people about Chicago.

But cool quote....

Here's a ranking of worst financially run states in the country...

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/news/ ... tates-2019

Notice anything?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

google 10 most dangerous metro areas in america

dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
dem-run
dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
pub-run
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm google 10 most dangerous metro areas in america

dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
dem-run
dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
pub-run

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:14 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm google 10 most dangerous metro areas in america

dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
dem-run
dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
pub-run

woah...i’ll admit to not actually clicking on the link when i searched, but the list in the link wasn’t the same, or at least not the same order, that popped up on the google “snapshot” (same website tho)

i think memphis was #1 and wichita #2 in the snapshot fwiw
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:22 pm
Cascadia wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:14 pm

dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
dem-run
dem-run
pub-run
pub-run
pub-run

woah...i’ll admit to not actually clicking on the link when i searched, but the list in the link wasn’t the same, or at least not the same order, that popped up on the google “snapshot” (same website tho)

i think memphis was #1 and wichita #2 in the snapshot fwiw
Either way, I think it’s fair to say that local politics are not influencing whether a city is dangerous or safe.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:30 pm

But any idea why so many of the most dangerously shitty cities in the country are run by Democrats?

"In statistics, the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" refers to the inability to legitimately deduce a cause-and-effect relationship between two variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them."

But cool quote....

Notice anything?
Maybe, what do you notice?

Those numbers are terrifying! But what do they really mean?

I wonder who puts these numbers together?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Found this interesting. Was posted on "social media" by a well known person about 5 minutes ago.
I'll let people guess who posted it.

I love you. I appreciate you. I cherish you. I value you. I’m proud of you. Where I’m from people don’t hear that enough. You have to remember it’s not the individual.. it’s the environment mixed with pain and that hood mentality. Where I’m from you can’t show NO real love or empathy.. because where I’m from that’s a sign of weakness. And by you being vulnerable by expressing real love your life can be taken away just like that. Shorty you have to BREAK the cycle. The numbers not adding up. So if you are bangin or if the streets really raised you remember the dudes that started your gang were standup dudes. They wasn’t with the killin bullshit. The system made them that way. They had principles, unity, and they tried to protect us. The dictum was not to divide. We losing Kings everyday. It’s really no one to hate. Don’t fall for the trick shorty. Appreciate yo life. CHICAGO I FUCKING LOVE YOU.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Grandma wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:49 pm Found this interesting. Was posted on "social media" by a well known person about 5 minutes ago.

I love you. I appreciate you. I cherish you. I value you. I’m proud of you. Where I’m from people don’t hear that enough. You have to remember it’s not the individual.. it’s the environment mixed with pain and that hood mentality. Where I’m from you can’t show NO real love or empathy.. because where I’m from that’s a sign of weakness. And by you being vulnerable by expressing real love your life can be taken away just like that. Shorty you have to BREAK the cycle. The numbers not adding up. So if you are bangin or if the streets really raised you remember the dudes that started your gang were standup dudes. They wasn’t with the killin bullshit. The system made them that way. They had principles, unity, and they tried to protect us. The dictum was not to divide. We losing Kings everyday. It’s really no one to hate. Don’t fall for the trick shorty. Appreciate yo life. CHICAGO I FUCKING LOVE YOU.
Riccardo Muti, you owe me a beer next time I am in Chicago.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 289

japhy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 pm
Grandma wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:49 pm Found this interesting. Was posted on "social media" by a well known person about 5 minutes ago.

Ricardo Muti, you owe me a beer next time I am in Chicago.
LOL! Wrong answer but I'll happily buy you a beer - or several.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

But cool quote....

Notice anything?
Still waiting......you brought some data, please explain how these numbers show "worst financially run States"?

Also. try and apply these accounting techniques to yours or hypothetical personal financial status.
Deleted User 310

japhy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:20 am

But cool quote....

Notice anything?
Still waiting......you brought some data, please explain how these numbers show "worst financially run States"?

Also. try and apply these accounting techniques to yours or hypothetical personal financial status.
If you click on each state it gives a detailed breakdown.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:24 am
japhy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:20 am

But cool quote....

Notice anything?

If you click on each state it gives a detailed breakdown.
Yes, it does. Now break it down for me; is there a problem? Plug a some numbers in for your personal finances and tell me what grade you get. Where would an average person show up in this grading system?
Deleted User 289

I'm left wondering if Illini lays the blame on/for the current "financial crisis" in Illinois primarily on Pritzker, Rauner, Quinn, Blago. Or someone else.
Sidenote - If I am not mistaken, in my lifetime Illinois has had 6 Dem Governors and 6 Pub Governors.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I am not an accountant but I will try to plug in some numbers and grade personal financial information by this accounting method for a hypothetical “Couple A” and “Couple B” and see what happens. Feel free to correct me if I screwed something up.

Couple A: combined income of $375,000 with no dependent children

Real Estate $1,100,000
Stocks $ 700,000
401k $ 250,000
Vehicles $ 25,000
Art & Antiques $ 50,000
Cash in bank $ 175,000

Total assets $2,300,000
Capital assets ($2,125,000) subtracted

Money to pay Bills $ 175,000

Mortgages $ 350,000
Credit Card Debt $ 2,000

Total Bills $ 352,000

Unfunded Bills $- 177,000

Household debt burden/ person -$88,500 financial grade F

Couple B: combined income of $45,000 with two dependent children

Real Estate $ 0
Stocks $ 0
401k $ 0
Vehicles $ 5,000
Art & Antiques $ 0
Cash in bank $ 1,000

Total assets $ 6,000
Capital assets ($ 5,000) subtracted

Money to pay Bills $ 1,000

Mortgages $ 0
Credit Card Debt $ 2,000

Total Bills $ 2,000

Unfunded Bills $- 1,000

Household debt burden/ person -$500 financial grade C

I think by most standards Couple A would be considered millionaires and in a better than average financial position, but this methodology gives them an F. The premise being, they are living beyond their means. Couple B has very little debt so therefore they get a C grade, they are predicted to be on the road to prosperity. If you toss out assets and revenue from your “accounting” then it tends to skew things against mortgages and State pensions; long term “bills”. But in truth they aren’t due today so you don’t really have to have money in the bank to pay them off today to be solvent. At least that is how I see my personal finances, ALEC wants you to see States finances differently. If you were going to be given the deed to a State; would you rather own California or Iowa?
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 am I'm left wondering if Illini lays the blame on/for the current "financial crisis" in Illinois primarily on Pritzker, Rauner, Quinn, Blago. Or someone else.
Sidenote - If I am not mistaken, in my lifetime Illinois has had 6 Dem Governors and 6 Pub Governors.
Truthfully if we are doing the blame game then i mostly blame madigan i suppose. All the governors have been close to equally shitty as far back as i can remember.

Pensions are likely the biggest problem.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:18 pm
Grandma wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 am I'm left wondering if Illini lays the blame on/for the current "financial crisis" in Illinois primarily on Pritzker, Rauner, Quinn, Blago. Or someone else.
Truthfully if we are doing the blame game then i mostly blame madigan i suppose. All the governors have been close to equally shitty as far back as i can remember.

And mortgages are likely the biggest problem if you ignore equity and revenue.

Where does pension money go?

How does it show up on the State financial balance sheet? Does the money evaporate?
Deleted User 310

japhy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:39 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:18 pm

And mortgages are likely the biggest problem if you ignore equity and revenue.

Where does pension money go?

How does it show up on the State financial balance sheet? Does the money evaporate?
We do not have a sustainable pension system in IL. Period. End of story.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I believe the pensions spent end up in building GDP numbers for the state and tax revenue.

I accept your surrender.

Claims without data to support are just empty words. "Couple A" in my example above when looked at through the lens of an ALEC analysis seem like they are in a tenuous financial position. My guess is they will figure it out and do OK in the end.
Deleted User 310

japhy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm I believe the pensions spent end up in building GDP numbers for the state and tax revenue.

I accept your surrender.

Claims without data to support are just empty words. "Couple A" in my example above when looked at through the lens of an ALEC analysis seem like they are in a tenuous financial position. My guess is they will figure it out and do OK in the end.
You don't think Illinois has a pension crisis?

(You're from IL right?)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:35 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm I believe the pensions spent end up in building GDP numbers for the state and tax revenue.

I accept your surrender.

You don't think Illinois has a pension crisis?

(You're from IL right?)
To play your game.....where did I say it doesn't have a pension problem?

But then again, where did you prove it has a pension problem?

My mother and grandparents are from Chicago. I have an office in Chicago although I don't work out of there.

Do you agree that the numbers shown in the "Truth in Accounting " website might be skewed with regards to assessment of financial stability?