KU Football Memories

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

KU Football Memories

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Somehow, I stumbled upon old Nebraska games from the 90s and 00s. Someone would upload the entire game. Well I went back and watched the ones that were against KU. Man, Kansas football under Glen Mason and then under Terry Allen was an interesting time. The offenses were atrocious, but the defenses were fast and physical. KU and Nebraska had some battles in the early 90s. One close game, and the other games had some big differentials, but the games were close for the majority of the game. Also watched a game from 06 in Nebraska when they went to OT. That was the year Adam Barmann was the QB, my god was that offense horrendous, but they still almost pulled it out. Can see why Mangino switched schemes and got a new OC the following year.

What was your first memory of KU football?

I'm a pretty young guy (30s) and the first KU team I remember seriously watching was the 95 team. Levine, Henley, Byrd, Ashaundai, Chris Jones (From my hometown) and Keith Rodgers were my guys. Smacked CU, got smoked by kstate and Nebraska. My dad and I drove down to Stillwater to watch them play Oklahoma State as well. I remember they smacked UCLA pretty good in Hawaii that year in the bowl game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU Football Memories

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I know I watched KUFB before then, but my specific memories are also 1995. In particular, the Top 10 Kansas State matchup and the Aloha Bowl, of course. So much hype about Karim Abdul-Jabbar.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

1993 for me. That atrocious Florida St game where half our team got hurt. Then losing to KSU 10-9.

Pretty sure I attended the 1991 KU - KSU game. Uncle is a KSU grad (I forgive him, he’s a world class human being) and had season tickets, but I might be thinking of an even earlier game.

Best memory was tearing down the goalposts while in school. So much fun and drunkenness after that game.
Last edited by Cascadia on Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I was at the 2006 game in Lincoln. KU was robbed that game. Barmann clearly scored a touchdown but was denied credit for it. The ball crossed the pylon.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leawood wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:54 pm I was at the 2006 game in Lincoln. KU was robbed that game. Barmann clearly scored a touchdown but was denied credit for it. The ball crossed the pylon.
I believe that to be the case as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

And that was one of Barmann's better games.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"What was your first memory of KU football?"

Glen Mason's 95 team.
Aloha Bowl.
Best memory.
2004 v KSU - broke the 11 year loosing streak, rushed the field.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i went to South Jr. High and had David Lawrence as my teacher for Health class (i think that’s what it was), and his wife taught girls’ P.E.

almost without fail, Monday classes were devoted to talk of Saturday’s game, with the inevitable reference to Lawrence’s glory days
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:23 pm "What was your first memory of KU football?"

Glen Mason's 95 team.
Aloha Bowl.
Best memory.
2004 v KSU - broke the 11 year loosing streak, rushed the field.
While the 2008 Orange Bowl was my best memory, the 2004 victory was the most memorable. The Randle Hook and Ladder, Randle's run, Simmons 1 hand grab in the south end zone. All just great. Never heard Memorial that loud and don't know if I will again.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2008 Orange Bowl was fantastic.
In NY hosting a watch party.
But yes, 2004, finally some light at the end of the tunnel.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I was there in Miami. Flight left the next morning. Didn't sleep. Was around South Beach ALLLL NIGHT with fellow KU fans. It was incredible. The next day hurt though. Was exhausted.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Great thread idea.

First memory: 95 Aloha Bowl. Remember watching that on TV.
First real memory was June Henley. Second would be David Winbush, on the really bad Terry Allen teams. Local kid, Harrison Hill. Moran Norris. Carl ‘the Butcher’ Neismith.
First game ever attended when Billy Whitt beat MU. Was late coming into the game and was walking down the Hill when Gordon almost took the punt to the house and it sounded like AFH. That was a great day.
But, yeah as a local kid beating KSU, my freshman year was my favorite memory. Infinite years of frustration came down that night. I also knew some of the guys on that KSU team and I was standing front row in the student section so I got to heckle them. That was fun.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:17 pm Great thread idea.

First memory: 95 Aloha Bowl. Remember watching that on TV.
First real memory was June Henley. Second would be David Winbush, on the really bad Terry Allen teams. Local kid, Harrison Hill. Moran Norris. Carl ‘the Butcher’ Neismith.
First game ever attended when Billy Whitt beat MU. Was late coming into the game and was walking down the Hill when Gordon almost took the punt to the house and it sounded like AFH. That was a great day.
But, yeah as a local kid beating KSU, my freshman year was my favorite memory. Infinite years of frustration came down that night. I also knew some of the guys on that KSU team and I was standing front row in the student section so I got to heckle them. That was fun.
LOVED Winbush. He destroyed Colorado in like 98 or 99. Was there and Colorado was ranked at the time and they came in expecting a cake walk. Brought a ton of fans, brought their entire band (and marched down the hill) they were expecting a party. Winbush rushed for almost 300 yards I believe. Just ran all over them.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I remember that game. Well I remember listening to that game on the radio with Bob and Max.

Thinking out loud. How many times did Mangino run the inside, delayed shovel pass to John Randle his freshman year. It was the only successful play. Remember when he also played DB against A&M.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:02 pm I remember that game. Well I remember listening to that game on the radio with Bob and Max.

Thinking out loud. How many times did Mangino run the inside, delayed shovel pass to John Randle his freshman year. It was the only successful play. Remember when he also played DB against A&M.
The John Cornish special.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

1984. Versus OU. Worst hangover of my college life.
Sat right in front of the KU band.
Horrible.

But, we beat OU.

Have we beaten them since?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They beat them a couple of times in the 90s

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I remember the 1969 Orange Bowl. I felt like Rodgers should have kicked the damned late FG. Just a tyke, but never understood the team playing not to lose then rolling the dice. Had a great place kicker-Bell IIRC
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:49 pm They beat them a couple of times in the 90s
Actually they had a 3 game win streak against OU. 95, 96 and 97. Wild.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

At least 96 and 97 would have been John Blake’s tenure at OU aka before Stoops arrived.
I want say Ku beat OU when Aikman was the QB?
Holidaysmore - 2005