Official Game thread: KU vs Tennessee

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 89

Re: Official Game thread: KU vs Tennessee

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:36 pm I know Marcus Garrett will help us and hes an asset defensively but i didnt seem to miss him tonight.
definitely didn’t miss him jacking up ill-advised 3s
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

Dotson has been great - but I still see Grimes as in there too. He’ll come along as the season progresses. As will Moore.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:36 pm I know Marcus Garrett will help us and hes an asset defensively but i didnt seem to miss him tonight.
KJ's minutes -- but with actual D
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

KJ was productive tonight.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
St_Hawkustine

Post by St_Hawkustine »

Felt like this was a big game for Dotson's improvement. He let his nuts hang out for a bit....even for just a moment. The dude will be a stud for the jayhawks.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Dotson will take command 2nd half of the season leaving charlie at scarce bench minutes in place of Dotson...but you could see them both on the floor in a 4 guard lineup.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Dotson's got guts and isn't afraid of the moment.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Geezer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 pm Dotson's got guts and isn't afraid of the moment.
Best freshman guard I've seen under Self.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:01 am
Geezer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 pm Dotson's got guts and isn't afraid of the moment.

Was Josh Jackson considered a guard or a forward? I guess more of a forward ?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:01 am

Better then Josh Jackson you think?
I count Jackson and Wiggs as wings and both were better than Dotson.

I put Dotson just ahead of McLemore given his demeanor and defense. Dotson is noticeably better than Mason/Graham/Chalmers/Taylor at the same stage.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Dotson is a rich man's Russell Robinson. Plays D like Russ Rob. But finishes at the rim and is more creative off the bounce.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Poor comparison IMO.

Dotson is Frank Mason 2.0
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dotson isnt better than Ben McLemore. And if Rush is a guard then hes not better than a freshman Rush.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That said, because our team needs a point guard, and I think Grimes is better than he is showing, and i dont think Charlie can do what Dotson can, id rather have Dotson then Ben right now.

But i wouldnt switch Dotson for McLemore on the 13 team.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 am That said, because our team needs a point guard, and I think Grimes is better than he is showing, and i dont think Charlie can do what Dotson can, id rather have Dotson then Ben right now.

But i wouldnt switch Dotson for McLemore on the 13 team.
Agreed. And I also agree that I wouldn't switch McLemore for Dotson on this year's team. Dotson the best freshman play maker under Self. Hard to compare a play maker who doesn't shoot to a shooter or a wing.

I guess I will just say that I think Dotson is far ahead of where I expected him to be at this point in the season against the level of competition that he has played. Five games in with two against Top 10 teams and almost all of them against experienced back courts and he looks calm and confident. More importantly, he knows what he is supposed to do and he is executing it. Grimes on the other hands seems to be having a little harder time identifying his role in the offense.

Maybe his struggles will lessen once we start moving the ball better on offense because we seem to be stuck as an offense going only with the primary play call and fail to pass out of it if it's not quite there. Too many turnovers from forcing it instead of passing it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Grimes has struggled since Vick got hot. They will learn to play together better as we progress.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Showed some toughness last night by playing well when it counted. These games happen to every great team, so I'm proud of our guys. Vick shined once again and not just in scoring.