Parler

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Parler

Post by TDub »

Define modern conspiracies. Because, again, you are only talking about the attitude of the Q conspiracy people.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

But that's just proving you don't understand your own hypocrisy too.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Ousy becoming lobster 2.0?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh come on.

Just cuz I’ve been trying to tell you guys that there’s a major housing crash coming this winter or sooner?

But if I may respectfully ask, what hypocrisy do you feel I’m not understanding?

I’m all for good back and for back and forth dialogue. If you’re interested in the same, I encourage you to speak up more. let’s have at it.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

so, conservatives back discrimination and it’s religious freedom

liberals back kicking potus off twitter and they’re hypocrites?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not sure if PhD, TDub or I am arguing against booting Trump...( bc fuck him )...but in general, we ain't gonna get anywhere by grouping, vilifying and silencing a large section of the population...regardless if the silencing is done by a private company ( that are under federal scrutiny and regulation for content ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Trump should have been booted.

He should be impeached, removed from office, be arrested, charged, go to trial and then prison.

None of that changes the fact that ousdahl is an enormous hypocrite lacking any sign of self-awareness.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm Not sure if PhD, TDub or I am arguing against booting Trump...( bc fuck him )...but in general, we ain't gonna get anywhere by grouping, vilifying and silencing a large section of the population...regardless if the silencing is done by a private company ( that are under federal scrutiny and regulation for content ).
Good post. I’m on bored in many ways. (After all the dumb shit he’s tweeted for years now, what’s two more weeks?)

But I suppose the other side of that coin is, where are we going to get if we give a dangerous section of the population free reign to spread misinformation and hate speech and coordinate violent attacks?

It’s tricky, and not necessarily a simple answer.

But within twitter’s explanation why the banned Trump, it was mentioned there’s already another attack that the magaheads are trying to coordinate on 1/17 on the Capitol and other state buildings. Twitter feels banning Trump can help to prevent that.

“It’s paradoxical, but in a tolerant society, intolerance should not be tolerated.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:16 pm Trump should have been booted.

He should be impeached, removed from office, be arrested, charged, go to trial and then prison.

None of that changes the fact that ousdahl is an enormous hypocrite lacking any sign of self-awareness.
Asking again - please explain why you feel I’m a hypocrite?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:18 pm
It’s tricky, and not necessarily a simple answer.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I really enjoy that ousdahl lives rent free in so many peoples heads
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I got, through my work email, a parler invite from a boat rep that have never met and barely know.
He has never answered an email, phone call or text that I have sent him in 4 years....even though I spend several million a year on his products.
Fuck him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

here is another angle of concern:

why should a handful of private for-profit corporations have so much power to silence world leaders?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Because they should. It’s been that way forever
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

So, to recap.

A group of protesters, exercising their Constitutional right to peacefully protest, is dangerous and lawless.

Using a socially media platform to orchestrate hate speech as well as develop plans to totally upset our democracy should be protected under the same Constitutional right?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

defixione wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm Parler gone. For a week, at least.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jo ... r-aws?s=01
Wow. This is getting really interesting. Again, the GA results created an Order 66 to kill (figuratively) all the right wing wackos. It's the right thing ethically in this exact case, but it also kinda scares me.

There's been talk here before about the extremism of Trump creating an opposite but equal reaction... But I think most thought it would be from the election of Bernie or eventually AOC... Not from private industry.

Amazon's power via a combination of retail and AWS is a bit frightening. Super high cost to try to compete.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And Amazon can do whatever they want, they are a private company.
But I don't know that banning extreme conservatives from all these platforms is the way to go.
I can agree with their right to do what they are doing ( as it is legally their right ), but I can disagree with their philosophy for doing so.

It's difficult because these large tech companies wield so much power in how people communicate today.

That said, an extreme conservative group is allowed to create their own server farm and websites.
And new device that runs only the apps they want on there. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to get traction because of the powers that the current industry has in squashing competition - but still possible.

It's when the government gets involved with this - i.e. forcing tech companies to ban what the government considers hate speech - that's where I would not be on board. At all.