Devon

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Devon

Post by pdub »

Well, we've already been having this discussion in the Udoka section - Self would want Udoka playing more minutes if he could - but Udoka is a better player ( perhaps not in skill but skill doesn't matter as much when you're 7 foot 270 ) than Dotson at this point.

Vick 36.8 MPG.
Lawson 31.6 MPG.
Dotson 30.4 MPG.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we're talking professional potential of all those guys mentioned though - I think Dotson takes the cake.
Dedric's game is a little slow for the NBA - I think he'll get blocked often.
Udoka's game doesn't translate today.
Vick we know what his potential is - peak would be 2nd round pick this season.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:35 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 pmHe's probably not even top 3.
LOL. He's one of 2 players that Self nearly refuses to take off the court.
Hardest to replace doesn't mean best.

We've got 1 PG. Him. Charlie Moore is a small 2 guard....and Moore is significantly worse than dotson, so dotson has to play 40mpg.

I'm not dotson bashing. He's been amazing, I've said lots of positive things about him...but dedric and dok are clearly our best 2 players, and it's hard to put him above Vick with the way he has started the season. We'd have 2 losses without Vick most likely.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If Devonte had Devon's athleticism, no way he woulda stayed four years either.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:46 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:35 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 pmHe's probably not even top 3.
LOL. He's one of 2 players that Self nearly refuses to take off the court.
Hardest to replace doesn't mean best.

We've got 1 PG. Him. Charlie Moore is a small 2 guard....and Moore is significantly worse than dotson, so dotson has to play 40mpg.

I'm not dotson bashing. He's been amazing, I've said lots of positive things about him...but dedric and dok are clearly our best 2 players, and it's hard to put him above Vick with the way he has started the season. We'd have 2 losses without Vick most likely.
Your point about Moore doesn't negate anything I've ever said about Dotson.

Given the production, there is nothing clear at all about Udoka being better than Dotson. That would make sense for Vick, but I sense your hesitation is that we already know how good Vick is going to be for us.

Dotson as a prospect reminds me a lot of Gilgeous-Alexander last year for UK. The smart people could tell even early on that he was going to make that team run. In the 3 games against top-25 competition, he's our one guy that there has been no answer for. No one has been able to check him. It's something we haven't seen here from a freshman guard. It's awesome.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm If Devonte had Devon's athleticism, no way he woulda stayed four years either.
There's no comparison. Our fanbase just isn't used to seeing freshmen PG talent. I guess they were burned too much by Selby.

Before the season started Dotson was listed as the 51st best prospect regardless of class by Givony. That was before he showed up and looked way ahead of where even the scouts thought he was. And, our fanbase is so unfamiliar with good frosh guards that they think he's going to give a senior speech. LOL.
Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:53 pm
Dotson as a prospect reminds me a lot of Gilgeous-Alexander last year for UK. The smart people could tell even early on that he was going to make that team run. In the 3 games against top-25 competition, he's our one guy that there has been no answer for. No one has been able to check him. It's something we haven't seen here from a freshman guard. It's awesome.
I totally agree. It's been awesome and he's been awesome.

He's definitely going to be our motor because he's really our only player capable of being a primary ball handler that can make us "go".

Gilgeous-Alexander is having a surprisingly good year 1 for the Clippers too....he's 6'6, but I understand what you were saying.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sure it's unfamiliarity in part, but I think it's also wishful thinking by fans. Everybody wants to assume he'll be a 3-4 year player, as if some amateur "love of the game" will trump his opportunity to get paid playing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see senior Devon. But I'd also love to see him go lotto ASAP.
Deleted User 75

Dotsons speed is elite. There's no denying it. It could be something that gets him paid sooner rather than later.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If Dotson's here for four years - perhaps even three - it will be because he didn't develop a shot. I don't know why we'd root for that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, in that regard, speed can get a young pg paid a lot sooner than skillset. You can develop a jumper. You can't just develop being the fastest guy down the court. How many dudes get drafted on "upside" and "potential?"

If he isn't gonna develop a jumper, then he's better off getting paid before anyone realizes it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For me, it's not wishful thinking.
It's just thinking it's tougher for a guy his size to go pro early unless you're off the charts talented.
He's not Trae Young skilled or Colin Sexton athletic.

It's early. He's averaging 10 points a game and 2 assists.
I don't think it's unreasonable to say he's a three year player.
I would put the 'line' at 2.5 years. I'm just taking the over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm For me, it's not wishful thinking.
It's just thinking it's tougher for a guy his size to go pro early unless you're off the charts talented.

I certainly agree that 2.5 is the right line.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm yeah, in that regard, speed can get a young pg paid a lot sooner than skillset. You can develop a jumper. You can't just develop being the fastest guy down the court. How many dudes get drafted on "upside" and "potential?"

If he isn't gonna develop a jumper, then he's better off getting paid before anyone realizes it.
Yep. It's the easiest skill to develop.

It's weird to be talking about hoping Dedric or Doke play well enough to get into the 2nd round in 2019. What GM is taking one of those guys before Dotson?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it's win win.

we get him 3+ years, hell yeah, he'll should be a great upperclassman.

we get him 2 or less, that means he was a great underclassman.

I also wonder how much putting a 1- or 2- and done point guard into the league would help Self's recruiting in the future.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Additionally, just because a kid could get drafted higher than another doesn't mean that he's a better player for the team.

Perry Ellis was better than Diallo.

Dok might not get drafted...doesn't mean he isn't a better player for us than Dotson.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm For me, it's not wishful thinking.

I certainly agree that 2.5 is the right line.
The plan all along was for 2.

Grimes is gone.

Might as well convince Doke to stay.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pmI also wonder how much putting a 1- or 2- and done point guard into the league would help Self's recruiting in the future.
He needs it.

Well, assuming he stays in college hoops for the foreseeable future. Which . . .
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I know we've discussed a lot on whether NCAA rules would chase off players, but have we discussed whether it'll chase off coaches?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ohgod.
CnB, JFish and ous brigade.
Giddyup.