Devon

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Devon

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 pm I know we've discussed a lot on whether NCAA rules would chase off players, but have we discussed whether it'll chase off coaches?
Nah, it's just federal prison!
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm For me, it's not wishful thinking.
It's just thinking it's tougher for a guy his size to go pro early unless you're off the charts talented.
He's not Trae Young skilled or Colin Sexton athletic.

It's early. He's averaging 10 points a game and 2 assists.
I don't think it's unreasonable to say he's a three year player.
I would put the 'line' at 2.5 years. I'm just taking the over.
I certainly agree that 2.5 is the right line.
The plan all along was for 2.

Grimes is gone.

Might as well convince Doke to stay.
you think Grimes has shown enough to say that with such confidence?

he was good against sparty, but otherwise?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Grimes could probably sit down for the season and still get drafted on potential.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:05 pm Grimes could probably sit down for the season and still get drafted on potential.
Agreed. He's the only player from this year's team that I am certain would get drafted if the draft was tomorrow.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s November. We’re 5 games in.

He’s a stud freshman who hasn’t figured everything out yet. Let him stop thinking and start playing.

Once he does, oh boy!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Grimes is a stud. Hes gonna be great omce him and lagerald figure out how to play together
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:51 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 pm

I certainly agree that 2.5 is the right line.
The plan all along was for 2.

Grimes is gone.

Might as well convince Doke to stay.
you think Grimes has shown enough to say that with such confidence?

he was good against sparty, but otherwise?
We're five games in. Michigan State was a tiny glimpse into what he can do right now and he has a lot of upside to build upon that. Unless he has some emotional reason to stay, he's gone. He's isn't staying because of basketball. He's good; he'll be ready.
Deleted User 89

kinda my point...

we’re five games in and he’s really only performed well in one of those. i’ve been to two of the others, and against lesser competition he was largely unimpressive

he doesn’t seem to be impactful when not scoring, and in fact seems to just disappear. hope it’s just a slump, but i’d take Devon in a heartbeat over Grimes right now
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:42 am but i’d take Devon in a heartbeat over Grimes right now
If you were an NBA GM?

Just say you "like" Dotson more than Grimes. Or that he is better as a freshman. Saying you'd take a kid who probably wouldn't be drafted in the first round over a projected top 10 pick, based off 5 games, makes you sound silly imo.

Dotson is a small guard, who doesn't shoot well by NBA standards yet, and is averaging 2 assists per game.....what exactly would your use be for drafting a player with that skill set in the lotto (since you're talking about taking him over grimes, and that's where he'll be drafted)? You would be fired before you were on the clock for your 2nd round pick.
Deleted User 89

i should have clarified...i don’t give two shits about the nba, so my comment had nothing to do with draft stock/status
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 am i should have clarified...i don’t give two shits about the nba, so my comment had nothing to do with draft stock/status
Gotcha.

Then yes, for this team, Dotson is more important / harder to replace than Grimes. I fully agree with that after 5 games.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Except that we’ve really only looked like a title team during that first half against Michigan State. I don’t think we’re in great shape unless we’re getting at least A- games from each of them, and I think that Grimes’ game at any given level is more impactful than Dotson’s.
Deleted User 75

Winning ugly is something we can hang our hat on. Title teams can look like a lot of different things. With the lack of outside shooting that we have this year I don't think we're a team that's going to look "pretty" every night. Grind it out games may be common, but I think we're equipped to win them. I'd rather have this team in a lower scoring dogfight than a high scoring shootout tbh.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Shooting is a problem. Scoring shouldn't be. There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to blow out lesser competition.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:14 am Winning ugly is something we can hang our hat on. Title teams can look like a lot of different things. With the lack of outside shooting that we have this year I don't think we're a team that's going to look "pretty" every night. Grind it out games may be common, but I think we're equipped to win them. I'd rather have this team in a lower scoring dogfight than a high scoring shootout tbh.
I think we’ve got the tools to win any type of game. I am also sure that we haven’t seen anything close to the real Dedric yet, which is really something considering we’re talking about a two-time Big 12 POW.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

We aren't really a team yet, still just a collection of nice parts.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Dedric’s game is so sneaky

i’ll be thinking midway through a game, man, he hasn’t done anything...then check stats and he’s got 12 and 5 or something

and i agree with fish, that we looked best when Grimes was engaged and contributing. i’ve said before though that i’m troubled that he hasn’t applied himself better since then
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 am i should have clarified...i don’t give two shits about the nba, so my comment had nothing to do with draft stock/status
But we're talking specifically about whether or not Grimes leaves early for the NBA, not whether or not we think he is an immediate impact college player. That's a different conversation altogether.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Geezer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 am We aren't really a team yet, still just a collection of nice parts.
100% agree. I said in another thread, KU has beaten two really good teams and hasn't really played even a B or B+ game yet let alone an A game. In our three games against good teams, Dok hasn't managed to play more than 20 minutes yet due to foul trouble, Grimes has been good in only one of those three games, Vick has only shot 13-31 (42%) in those three and Dotson has only had 9 assists and 7 turnovers in those three. Our ceiling is WAY above our current play. And we're still really, really good right now.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:14 am
But we're talking specifically about whether or not Grimes leaves early for the NBA, not whether or not we think he is an immediate impact college player. That's a different conversation altogether.
fair enough

so everyone else thinks that, even if he were to continue playing at the level he has been since the sparty game, that he'd still be a top draft pick? based on "potential" alone?