Devon

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Devon

Post by jfish26 »

That's moving the goalposts, isn't it? If the draft was today, he'd be a first round pick, likely in the lottery. If, over the course of a 35+ game season, he averages 9/3.4/2.8 on 38.9% shooting from the floor? Then, no, he would for sure not be a lottery pick and would likely be out of the first round.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Geezer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 am We aren't really a team yet, still just a collection of nice parts.
Correct.
We'll have our January/early February slump and by, oh, February 9th we'll be crushing souls.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Let’s pump the brakes on the Grimes slump thing.

A huge reason he didn’t play much in Brooklyn is because he absolutely does not know how to defend during ball screen switches.

Of course he needs to figure that out, but that’s fixable. Will just take some clock. I wish Bill would have played him through it but I get it and appreciate the 2 wins.

The only other thing you wish he’d do is be more of an alpha killer on offense, but he’s just probably not that guy unfortunately.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 am

and i agree with fish, that we looked best when Grimes was engaged and contributing. i’ve said before though that i’m troubled that he hasn’t applied himself better since then
Part of that is simply that he made outside shots during that game. He may not hit that many 3s in a game again all season...I actually thought he looked just as good in the game he got 10 assists as he did in the game where he made a bunch of tough 3s.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:24 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:14 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 am i should have clarified...i don’t give two shits about the nba, so my comment had nothing to do with draft stock/status
But we're talking specifically about whether or not Grimes leaves early for the NBA, not whether or not we think he is an immediate impact college player. That's a different conversation altogether.
fair enough

so everyone else thinks that, even if he were to continue playing at the level he has been since the sparty game, that he'd still be a top draft pick? based on "potential" alone?
No. At least not me.

I personally feel that based on the performance in the Sparty game and his overall evaluation prior to the season that the odds of him continuing to perform at this level for the rest of the year are pretty close to zero.

"What if" that virtually zero percent chance thing actually happened? Maybe his stock drops a bunch and he goes later but who knows. Odds are much higher that this is simply a freshman playing like a freshman for a spell.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Agree. It's going to take a little while for all the pieces to fit.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Grimes is a player who is used to the ball being in his hands. His usage % so far is only 17.2

For reference dedric has a usage % of 29.2 so far. Dok at 30.6

Dotson just under 16
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

On Hawk Talk, Self says Dotson is the top of players he’s had with speed and explosiveness. Wait, maybe not Tyshawn. That’s doubtful. But Tyshawn, Dotson, and certainly Frank. Class by themselves. Best he’s been around.
I am, I said.