2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by pdub »

This is a guy that some were saying would be groomed to be head coach eventually.

Per normal for us.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Losing has a way of doing it to you but his sideline demeanor was completely different from two years compared to last. That fire and intensity was gone. Par is the case with KUAD these days. 1 step forward and 2 back.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Supposedly, he tried to leave prior to 2020 season but nothing worked for him to move closer to home. This time it did work out as an OC retired at Mid Ten St.

He probably likes to be in the South, it's his comfort zone, close to home and if it's true that he has a family issue, you can't blame him. He's got other things going on.

But you are right, he was sooooo much different last year. Just seemed to be a statue out there. But then again, the offense didn't give him any reason to celebrate.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Coaching is such a tough life and I really don't understand guys thought processes. If he wanted to be 'closer' to home then why take the job at KU to begin with. You have to wonder what was Dearmon's end game? To leave a P5 job and go to Mid Ten St.? Seems like a huge step backwards regardless of how bad KU is.
Its not so much about Dearmon leaving it is trying to find an OC for the third time in as many years. Zero amounts of continuity for a program that could really use that right about now. Other boards have Eargle being the OC and if he is we might as all start preparing ourselves mentally for another 0'fer season.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We are either completely overselling the value of being a P5 program when the program is the worst P5 program or Dearmon truly has a family emergency to take care of. Nothing else makes sense.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I said my thoughts a bit on Dearmon and Chip Lindsey. But both worked under Malzahn in some capacity. They had a small connection. But that was Dearmon's first job outside of the southeast. He's been in Tennessee, Alabama and Arkansas before KU. Probably didn't realize how much he was homesick until he came to KU.

I don't think this has an indication on Miles or anything with the program. This is strictly an individual doing what he thinks is best for him and his family.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am We are either completely overselling the value of being a P5 program when the program is the worst P5 program or Dearmon truly has a family emergency to take care of. Nothing else makes sense.
So I just looked this up. The previous OC at Mid Ten St made $310k there. Dearmon made in essence $250k. So did he actually get a pay increase..?

Maybe he came to KU and said I'll stay if I get an increase and Miles/Long said no because of the lack of production last year.

I really don't know.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 am We are either completely overselling the value of being a P5 program when the program is the worst P5 program or Dearmon truly has a family emergency to take care of. Nothing else makes sense.
Good point. Is one of the worst P5 jobs better than one of the best D2 (or whatever they are called these days) jobs. It isn't like Mid Tenn St is a premier destination.

Maybe it truly was a family situation but I will say that family situation wasn't rearing its ugly head when Stanley was here. If it is truly a family situation wouldn't you step away from the game completely? Its not like his new job is 10 minutes away from his situation. Just because he left KU and went to Mid Ten St the coaching demands are still the same.

Seems like really odd timing. One minute we are getting articles from .com that he is on Zoom calls with the early enrollees breaking down film to the next he is leaving in the middle of the night because of a family situation. Odd.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The rumor trail I followed was that he needs to become a caretaker for a family member and the situation recently came about.

That would easily explain the whole situation and good luck to him, but we are still picking up the pieces.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, not buying the family situation. That's a bogus PR move.

But, if doesn't want to be at KU, so be it. Find someone that does.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 am Yeah, not buying the family situation. That's a bogus PR move.

If it's not a family situation and he's jumping from a P5 job that, frankly, he was very fortunate to get because of homesickness, discomfort, etc. then we need someone else anyway.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:32 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 am Yeah, not buying the family situation. That's a bogus PR move.

If it's not a family situation and he's jumping from a P5 job that, frankly, he was very fortunate to get because of homesickness, discomfort, etc. then we need someone else anyway.
BINGO

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I saw the same thing, the caretaker rumor so if that is indeed true he needs to completely step away from the game. Just because you are Mid Ten St. the demands of the job are even harder because I'm assuming they don't have the staff or the $$$ that even a bottom feeder program like KU has.

If that is indeed true good luck and I hope it pans out. The one year I had season tickets and we actually had a mostly competent team was the most fun I have had at sporting events outside of the Chiefs in a long time.

Your point rings true. When things were good you were almost the face of the program. Rumors abound that you might get a better P5 job. Your second season it was probably the worst in school history and you take a clear step down job. Some are built for this life and others aren't.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, Miles would be crazy not to consider it. He's been in top roles at big time programs.

Bring him back home* (Where he was for 5 non-consecutive years)

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Former KU assistants doing big things ya dig: 1 year WR Coach Klint Kubiak set to become OC for the Vikings. :?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Crazy. Beaty actually had a good staff that first year..

Rob Likens has only been at P5 schools over the last 8 years. In roles from WR Coach to OC.
Clint is just Clint.
Reggie Mitchell just hops around everywhere. But he's well respected.
Zach Yenser is an assistant coach for the 49ers.
Kevin Kane is tearing it up. Now Asst HC and OLB Coach at Illinois after DC at SMU.
Kubiak is thankful that his dad is a big name. But he for real can coach. Good for him.
Thibodeaux went back to Oklahoma and doing well. He's notoriously named as a top recruiter.
Kenny Perry was just Beaty's buddy.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But back to OC, because that's the important topic here.

If Les hires (Yes sir) Eargle as OC, that might mean trouble. Granted, he did some good things at FCS Austin Peay during his last tenure as OC, but he's kind of an oof and will do anything to please Miles.

Kansas Football doesn't need that. Yes, listen to Miles' advice, but have the freedom to do your own thing too.

nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I hope we get someone that is good and can do the job. Someone that is able to modify their offense to fit whichever QB on the team that gives KU the best chance to win.

I agree it sounds odd that Dearmon needs to be a caregiver for a relative but is keeping any a coaching job just at a different school. Maybe it is a little different in that him and his wife will be the caregiver so he could coach but needs to be closer. Just wish him luck and hopefully it will work out to benefit KU.
edjayhawk

Post by edjayhawk »

Doesn't make sense going from a P5 conference to a Group of 5 conference. I thought he was getting groomed to take over Miles. There must be something else to this.