Top 25 polls

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Top 25 polls

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:00 pm I also think we're better than Oklahoma and OSU despite the results.
If Oklahoma is 25th, i'm comfortable being 19th.
well we split with them. so probably.

The numbers all account for the entire season. I think we're not currently playing as well as we were earlier.

The timing of the outcomes of our games with OU suggest that too. I don't put much stock in to home vs away this year.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:59 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:38 pm The defense sucking, or, at best, being inconsistent really irks me because this should be a great defensive team.
^^^^^
and as was already mentioned...if this team played better defense it’d undoubtedly help on the other end of floor
This.

If this team is in a game that comes down to scoring in the half court, it could be trouble. The best player at creating his own shot is the worst shooter. I'd actually be ok if Och, Wilson, and Braun started taking 3s with 18-20 second left on the shot clock off 1 or 2 passes simply because it might be the best look they get that possession. Just because it's early doesn't make it a bad shot. Give me a one pass open 3, without a ball reversal, over a Dave/Mitch 15 footer with 3 seconds left any possession.

If you can't score in the half court, you need to be able to use your defense to create easy points. Something Self teams have been so good at in the past, but now seem to control the ball first and advance it second. Giving the opponent time to set up even on turnovers and rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Any offensive rebound (save for putbacks) needs to be a kick out pass and a 3 point attempt. We aren't creating better shots than that right now, and it's a pretty good look either way.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:18 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:59 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:38 pm The defense sucking, or, at best, being inconsistent really irks me because this should be a great defensive team.
^^^^^
and as was already mentioned...if this team played better defense it’d undoubtedly help on the other end of floor
This.

If this team is in a game that comes down to scoring in the half court, it could be trouble. The best player at creating his own shot is the worst shooter. I'd actually be ok if Och, Wilson, and Braun started taking 3s with 18-20 second left on the shot clock off 1 or 2 passes simply because it might be the best look they get that possession. Just because it's early doesn't make it a bad shot. Give me a one pass open 3, without a ball reversal, over a Dave/Mitch 15 footer with 3 seconds left any possession.

If you can't score in the half court, you need to be able to use your defense to create easy points. Something Self teams have been so good at in the past, but now seem to control the ball first and advance it second. Giving the opponent time to set up even on turnovers and rebounds.
i had this thought during the last game, that this team just looked like it was playing slow. maybe though, it’s just that they aren’t getting out on the break, for whatever reason
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm i had this thought during the last game, that this team just looked like it was playing slow. maybe though, it’s just that they aren’t getting out on the break, for whatever reason
Well think about the guys we had previous to this year who could lightning fast take it coast to coast.
Not one dude on this team who can do that.
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm i had this thought during the last game, that this team just looked like it was playing slow. maybe though, it’s just that they aren’t getting out on the break, for whatever reason
Well think about the guys we had previous to this year who could lightning fast take it coast to coast.
Not one dude on this team who can do that.
true

so, it’s probably a bit of both - lack of fast-break opportunity due to bad defense, and a difference in personnel relative to the past few years
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It should be noted that post season play typically elevates this ranking but Kansas, at the moment, has the lowest Kenpom rank in the Bill Self era.

2021: 22

2019: 17
2015: 12
2004: 18
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What's the guess on the AP?
I think we stay in at 23.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah probably 22-25 range is a good estimate.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good call PWhitt.

KU at 23.

Baylor 2
Texas 6
OU 9
Tech 13
West Va 17
oSu 26

Other KU opponents
Zags 1
Tennessee 11
Creighton 15
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's not sexy to defend this team right now, and I don't even want to, but, if OU really is a top 10 team, then the path to the second weekend of the tournament does not seem impossible.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IFFFFFFFFFF KU makes shots like they did early in the year, they are a 2nd weekend team. If they don't make shots, they will be a first round knockout.

Deleted User 89

when was the last time KU was the 7th highest rated member of the conference (nationally, not conference standings)
Deleted User 89

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:22 am IFFFFFFFFFF KU makes shots like they did early in the year, they are a 2nd weekend team. If they don't make shots, they will be a first round knockout.
pretty much

3s are fool’s gold
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 amUgh.
because Roi famously said it, or because Bill just did?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Some of you care about streaks but our top 25 steak is on the line now.
We'll need to take care of ksu tomorrow - and then go on the road and beat WVU.
2-0 will move us up. 1-1 will move us out.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm hoping a split keeps us in just because conference play means a lot of cannibalism in the Top 25.

AP and NCAA Tourney appearance streaks are the only things that KU has over the UK's and Duke's of the world. Indicates our remarkable consistency.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Something like 230 straight weeks, right?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It obviously depends on what the teams do around us.
I just expect a loss, even a tough loss @ WVU, would knock us out.