Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
Kyblueblood

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by Kyblueblood »

Wiggins wants paid to play for Team Canada. This is sure to rub a few Canadians wrong considering the amount of money he makes. Has any Team USA player demanded payment?

https://nesn.com/2018/10/andrew-wiggins ... -team/amp/

https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-wiggins ... 53873.html
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Waah. He doesn't have to play for Team Canada if he doesn't want to. If something can convince him by making it worth his while and the risk, then so be it.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’m starting to wonder what Wiggs wants, what motivates him
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

You mean the same Andrew Wiggins who fired his agent after he got him the max contract - but then didn't really fire him?
The same Andrew Wiggins who when asked if he plans to buy his teammates dinner after signing his max contract said, "They can have their choice, Chipotle or Noodles".
Yes, I get that it was a supposed to be a joke. Anyways, the bottom line is Team Canada paid him before.
Why would/should he play for free now?

On another foreigner note....
How ya guys liking Svi's NBA career so far? As my mother would say, "oysh".

Games played 11/27/18...

Svi - 12 min, 1-6 fg, 1-5 3pt, 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 3 points
Wayne - 15 min, 207 fg, 1-3 3pt, 4 ast, 5 points
Josh - 22 min, 4-9 fg, 0-2 3pt, 5 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl, 8 points
Deleted User 89

re: Svi

it’s better than no nba career
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 am i’m starting to wonder what Wiggs wants, what motivates him
Money.

The same as a lot of people.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:44 am re: Svi

Agreed. Bet Malik Newman, Cliff Alexander, Perry Ellis, etc. would all gladly trade places and take his rough start to the season.
Deleted User 89

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 am i’m starting to wonder what Wiggs wants, what motivates him
Money.

if that's all it is, then it's a waste of talent

and he could arguably make more money if he really desired to be the best version of himself, not just a cash cow
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:01 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 am
Money.

if that's all it is, then it's a waste of talent

and he could arguably make more money if he really desired to be the best version of himself, not just a cash cow
I mean I guess it's a waste of talent if you truly believed he could be 1 of the 10 or so best players in the world at some point. I think at this point it's fairly easy to see that those projections were just that "projections". It was just a guess..largely based off his size and athletic ability. But it takes more than just hard work and desire to become "LeBron or MJ". He simply isn't as good as many thought he could be, but he's still pretty freaking good. Top 50 or so in the league is hardly a waste of talent. Plus he's a millionaire. So he didn't waste all of his talent.

Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think anyone has ever accused him of not working hard? He clearly works at it. He's in amazing shape.

Does he always play hard on defense? NO.

Does he always play hard when his team is getting blown out? NO.

But that's a large majority of the league, not just Wiggins.
Deleted User 89

he may just not have the alpha in him to be one of the top guys in the league...it would seem all the tools are there

nothing wrong with that, necessarily. if he's content/happy with where he's at, then good on him
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Wiggins is frustrating.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:44 am re: Svi

100% agree and clearly the kid has some serious talent (raw?) but when he's off there are literally thousands of guys who can do what he's currently doing - or better.

As far as Wiggins, he's blessed with incredible talent and unfortunately cursed with having a lack of constant warrior mentality.
My guess is the majority of coaches will tell you they would rather have a guy with less talent and more heart and more talent and less heart. At least as far as guys getting max contracts are concerned.
It's a bummer because I truly believe Wiggins has/had Kobe type talent. I was hardly alone in my thinking that.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 am he may just not have the alpha in him to be one of the top guys in the league...it would seem all the tools are there
I'd lean that the "tools" aren't really "all there".

He's not a great shooter. He's not a great ball handler. He's not good at creating for others. And his not very "creative" with the ball in his hands.

To me, it looks like when he's "attacking" a defender alot of times he has a premeditated "move" already decided. That's not a terrible thing, don't get me wrong. But it reminds me of the spin thru the lane he'd attempt it college a lot. Sometimes it works and it's amazing when it does. Other times it results in wild out of control missed shots or turnovers. He has a bag full of tricks. He picks one and goes with it.

Some of the top guys in the league seem to decide on the fly and have instincts that allow them the react in a split second and be more creative based on how the defense is reacting.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

Small sample but the Timberwolves defense is #2 since the trade. Philly 27th.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?so ... stNGames=8
Deleted User 89

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 am he may just not have the alpha in him to be one of the top guys in the league...it would seem all the tools are there

He's not a great shooter. He's not a great ball handler. He's not good at creating for others. And his not very "creative" with the ball in his hands.
but that's the thing...shooting and ball handling can be improved. it's not like he has a bad stroke
illy wrote: To me, it looks like when he's "attacking" a defender alot of times he has a premeditated "move" already decided. That's not a terrible thing, don't get me wrong. But it reminds me of the spin thru the lane he'd attempt it college a lot. Sometimes it works and it's amazing when it does. Other times it results in wild out of control missed shots or turnovers. He has a bag full of tricks. He picks one and goes with it.

Some of the top guys in the league seem to decide on the fly and have instincts that allow them the react in a split second and be more creative based on how the defense is reacting.
that probably isn't as fixable, being predictable for defenders

perhaps i should've said that all the physical tools appear to be there
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am

but that's the thing...shooting and ball handling can be improved. it's not like he has a bad stroke
illy wrote: To me, it looks like when he's "attacking" a defender alot of times he has a premeditated "move" already decided. That's not a terrible thing, don't get me wrong. But it reminds me of the spin thru the lane he'd attempt it college a lot. Sometimes it works and it's amazing when it does. Other times it results in wild out of control missed shots or turnovers. He has a bag full of tricks. He picks one and goes with it.

that probably isn't as fixable, being predictable for defenders

perhaps i should've said that all the physical tools appear to be there
The shooting thing and ball handling thing can be fixed to an extent....and they have. He's significantly better than he was at KU...but just because you try really hard doesn't mean everyone can be steph or james harden. It's not attainable for everyone.

And you mentioned physical tools, those are there.....and those are also what often gets someone labeled as having lots of "potential". But athletes are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Being skilled gets overlooked a lot...that's why a guy like steph doesn't get drafted as high as he should have been....so much stock is placed on physical tools when talking about pro potential, and it should be to an extent....but the league is so skilled that it's hard to make it to being an all star on physical ability alone. The most skilled players are typically the best players in today's NBA.

That's why Embiid is so special. All the physical tools, but also very skilled and very intelligent/creative with the ball in his hands. That stuff is harder to teach. Otherwise everyone would be able to "think" the game like LeBron and Kobe were capable of.
Deleted User 89

the skills aren't hard to teach...they just take hard work

the creativeness is different, and i'd argue can't be taught to a large extent...things like court vision and feel for the game just come more naturally to some
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

Embiid is so good. I’m just waiting on a small losing streak and Butler begins to run his mouth. Embiid isn’t KAT or Wiggins. He has a strong enough personality to handle anything Jimmy puts out, and then some.
Deleted User 75

Kyblueblood wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 am Embiid is so good. I’m just waiting on a small losing streak and Butler begins to run his mouth. Embiid isn’t KAT or Wiggins. He has a strong enough personality to handle anything Jimmy puts out, and then some.
All indications are that is not going to be an issue.

The main difference is that embiid and Simmons are both extremely hard workers. Focused. Motivated. And want to win.

In fact Butler has even said to the media that he loves the locker room and chemistry and already can see himself there long term.

What I also found interesting are the things Covington has shared since being in Minnesota. Mentioned something like "in Philly if you fuck up, the other players tell you that you fucked up, it's not personal"....I get the feeling that is not the case in Minnesota.

Embiid is also recognized by the NBA players are being special. Top 15 in the league. He carries a different level of respect than a guy like Wiggins or even KAT carry. So I think there's a mutual respect there between Jo and Butler. Butler thought he was the best player in Minnesota (he was probably right)....I think he knows embiid is the best player in philly.