This team...

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: This team...

Post by ousdahl »

Heck, we still don’t even entirely know what we have in Bryce.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:57 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 am My guess is that CnB thinks we should have gotten a better PG in before Dotson left and not put all our eggs in the Marcus Garrett basket.
We got two other pg’s in the pipeline. They’re both just the type of guys who will take a couple seasons to have any impact, rather than ready-to-play studs who are apparently now more and more going G league instead.
The issue, grossly-oversimplified, is that you just can't have two non-shooters on the floor in college basketball as it exists today.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:42 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 pm Bryce Thompson was a pretty big get way after investigation started.

Bill sounds whiny, and he way mismanaged this season.
Mismanaged how so?

Kinda doubt Self told those top recruits to go G league, and told Silvio to knock some dude’s face off of his face in front of Brothers, and told Bryce to break a bone.

Ohh, but feeding the post!
He may have had few options, but there is no good reason we should have gone into the season planning on winning games through Garrett and McCormack. This team should not be struggling this much on offense.

https://twitter.com/rockchalktalk/statu ... 59907?s=20
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think I posted it in the game thread, but I found it very interesting that Fran said he thought that we would bring in a transfer PG.

Fran didn't just pull that out of nowhere, and I would take in a heartbeat. Harris and Jossell aren't it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Transfer pg is interesting.

But I also wonder what a transfer pg will do to make guys like Och and Christian stand around less, and not short the shots they do take?

I think other guys’ passiveness is likely correlated to DMac’s volume of shots too.

and either way, a transfer pg seems like a good candidate to come in and not know the system and be buried on the bench anyway. How often does a transfer pg make a splash anywhere?

And besides, we can’t land anybody cuz the ncaa feet dragging fucked up our recruiting, remember?
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think Harris can be it if he just has confidence in his shot. Yeah, he hasn't shot it a ton, but he's shooting 45% from the floor and 66% (4-6) from 3. I get it that his role is to not be a scorer, but if he keeps teams honest, he'll be a good PG. His size is a bit of a concern for how his game is, but still just a freshman and will have a major role next year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:15 am Transfer pg is interesting.

But I also wonder what a transfer pg will do to make guys like Och and Christian stand around less, and not short the shots they do take?

I think other guys’ passiveness is likely correlated to DMac’s volume of shots too.

and either way, a transfer pg seems like a good candidate to come in and not know the system and be buried on the bench anyway. How often does a transfer pg make a splash anywhere?

And besides, we can’t land anybody cuz the ncaa feet dragging fucked up our recruiting, remember?
Your first few concerns are very related to system.

How many PG's in the league are better than Mac McClung?

We could also move Garrett off the ball if he decides to stay another year. Transfer PG-MG-Braun-Wilson-DMac with Thompson/Enaruna off bench--we have something going.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Harris is a great 3rd option at PG.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:16 am I think Harris can be it if he just has confidence in his shot. Yeah, he hasn't shot it a ton, but he's shooting 45% from the floor and 66% (4-6) from 3. I get it that his role is to not be a scorer, but if he keeps teams honest, he'll be a good PG. His size is a bit of a concern for how his game is, but still just a freshman and will have a major role next year.
We will see, but so far he looks like a poor man's Aaron Miles at his peak. I just think we need and can do better. I'd almost rather have Jossell be the backup if he truly is a 50% 3P type shooter.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm

But his job is to convince guys to come despite the investigation. This works against that. It was stupid of him to validate the concern.
If he says he has no clue then he is either clueless or a liar. If he says it will be over soon and it isn't then he is a liar. I have no problem with him giving his honest opinion of the situation.
But being honest does nothing to solve the problem of not getting guys. Part of his job is to find something better to say than, "you know what, this mess we're in is really dragging us down."
I feel confident that he is giving more information to the recruits when he speaks to them in person than to the press during random Q&A sessions.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:16 am I think Harris can be it if he just has confidence in his shot. Yeah, he hasn't shot it a ton, but he's shooting 45% from the floor and 66% (4-6) from 3. I get it that his role is to not be a scorer, but if he keeps teams honest, he'll be a good PG. His size is a bit of a concern for how his game is, but still just a freshman and will have a major role next year.
Confidence only gets you so far. Then your actual technique on how to shoot better has to improve.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are we really expecting Garrett to transfer?

Say he stays. Next year, he plays alongside Wilson and Braunwith a full year of starting under their belts. And who knows, maybe Ochai actually acts like an upperclassman at some point.

*and, spoiler alert! Healthy Bryce should only improve, and even challenge those dudes for a starting spot going forward. He also can handle some pg/handling duties we need. Still have two pgs on the bench who will continue to develop.

I think at least as big a question is, what our 5 spot looks like going forward. Dave doesn’t play big minutes relatively (dead last on that Twitter list), and our frontcourt depth is a yuge question mark.

Do we double down again on Mitch? Hope Gethro develops? Dwight Coleby-type transfer? Embrace tiny ball with Jalen/Tristan and 4 guards?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's actually hard for me to see Garrett staying unless he's guaranteed to play PG next season.

I'd definitely bet on him either playing professionally or at KU.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, can I request someone with photoshop skills add some ink - at least a sleeve for Jalen, some like tribal shit for DMac, “Mama Tried” on Ochai’s shoulder, maybe even tear drops for Christian - and see what that does for this thread?
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm
If he says he has no clue then he is either clueless or a liar. If he says it will be over soon and it isn't then he is a liar. I have no problem with him giving his honest opinion of the situation.
But being honest does nothing to solve the problem of not getting guys. Part of his job is to find something better to say than, "you know what, this mess we're in is really dragging us down."
I feel confident that he is giving more information to the recruits when he speaks to them in person than to the press during random Q&A sessions.
But this being on CBS' college basketball website is him speaking to recruits (and their handlers and AAU coaches and parents etc.).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:36 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am

But this being on CBS' college basketball website is him speaking to recruits (and their handlers and AAU coaches and parents etc.).
He talks to all of these people in person. This is just fan drama.
edjayhawk

Post by edjayhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am It's actually hard for me to see Garrett staying unless he's guaranteed to play PG next season.

Oversees maybe but not NBA unless he starts in the G league.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

edjayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:22 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am It's actually hard for me to see Garrett staying unless he's guaranteed to play PG next season.

Oversees maybe but not NBA unless he starts in the G league.
Agreed. I think he could do well in a Tony Allen type role, but not sure that would be available given his bad jump shot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I thought I might have been going crazy and the staff was encouraging this stuff.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The best indicator of what type of game dave is going to have is how deep his post position is.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.