We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:27 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 pm well, even if that may be -- they think they can win with this shit?
between that and changing voting rules as much as possible, i’m sure they think they can win like that

if voter turnout continues to be high, there’s no way they win
Honestly, they are right that they can if people who do not support the Trump Party don't stay energized and show up to vote. I can guarantee that Trump's supporters will be sure to vote.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Eugene Robinson dropping the truth bomb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Because fascism needs to be protected.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/20-year-o ... es&via=rss
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

They said the quiet part out loud again.

https://twitter.com/TBishUp/status/1366778043365163010
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I don't disagree that the republican party is really bad, but trying to argue the democrats are any better is hilarious. The party wants to silence people, force vaccinations, ban social media accounts, ban books, stop fair voting, see racism in everything, kill small business, etc. etc. Not a party any intellectually honest person would want to be associated with.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

:lol:
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

All that BS and then "intellectually honest".
My brain hurts.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

lobster is anything but intellectually honest
Deleted User 89

Walrus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:03 am I don't disagree that the republican party is really bad, but trying to argue the democrats are any better is hilarious. The party wants to silence people, force vaccinations, ban social media accounts, ban books, stop fair voting, see racism in everything, kill small business, etc. etc. Not a party any intellectually honest person would want to be associated with.
i know this is a waste of my time since you’re an idiot, but...

1) Colin Kaepernick says hello

2) forced vaccinations? :lol: nobody is trying to force anything. do you even know what that word means?

3) when you abuse privileges, they get taken away...not all speech is free

4) who is banning books? we’ve already covered Dr. Seuss, which you were wrong about. what are you outraged about now?

5) only one party has introduced more than 100 bills nationwide to restrict voting rights, and it isn’t the democratic party

6) :lol: there’s a lot of racist shit in this country, whether you think so or not. walk a mile in the shoes of a minority (i’m convinced you don’t have native ancestry, so you can stop with that charade)

in short, you’re accusing dems of doing things that LITERALLY, the republican party is actively doing

projection?
Deleted User 89

ya know, harvey weinstein and jeff epstein are victims of cancel culture

fuck, racism and slavery are victims of cancel culture

in a sense, it’s just society’s way of saying “that shit isn’t acceptable anymore”

only snowflakes get outraged by it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 am
Walrus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:03 am I don't disagree that the republican party is really bad, but trying to argue the democrats are any better is hilarious. The party wants to silence people, force vaccinations, ban social media accounts, ban books, stop fair voting, see racism in everything, kill small business, etc. etc. Not a party any intellectually honest person would want to be associated with.

2) forced vaccinations? :lol: nobody is trying to force anything. do you even know what that word means?

4) who is banning books? we’ve already covered Dr. Seuss, which you were wrong about. what are you outraged about now?

5) only one party has introduced more than 100 bills nationwide to restrict voting rights, and it isn’t the democratic party

6) :lol: there’s a lot of racist shit in this country, whether you think so or not. walk a mile in the shoes of a minority (i’m convinced you don’t have native ancestry, so you can stop with that charade)

in short, you’re accusing dems of doing things that LITERALLY, the republican party is actively doing

projection?
They don't even bother hiding it anymore:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 895380002/
In a hearing on Tuesday, Justice Amy Coney Barrett asked why the Arizona Republican Party was involved in trying to reinstate the law.

“What’s the interest of the Arizona RNC in keeping, say, the out-of-precinct ballot disqualification rules on the books?" she asked.

“Because it puts us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats,” replied attorney Michael Carvin, who is representing the Arizona Republican Party. “Politics is a zero-sum game. And every extra vote they get through unlawful interpretation of Section 2 (of the Voting Rights Act) hurts us. It’s the difference between winning an election 50-49 and losing an election 51 to 50.”
Deleted User 89

yet we’re the ones who aren’t intellectually honest :lol:
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The best part is how the gop attorney even goes so far as to clarify that when voter turnout is higher, republicans loose.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 am

projection?
You beat me to it!

I would have responded......

1. The "party" may want to "silence" dangerous people who are a threat to ALL Americans (and the world).
Meanwhile, we just had a PRESIDENT who did the following and my guess is you (Wally) didn't post about nor find fault in a single instance....

August 2012: Trump says Black journalist Touré, then a co-host of the MSNBC show "The Cycle," should be "forced to resign" for comments in which Touré uttered a variant of the N-word while arguing that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was using racially coded language to try to make President Barack Obama seem frightening. (Touré had apologized before Trump's demand.)
November 2012: Trump suggests the firing of then-MSNBC host Chris Matthews for saying, on the night of Obama's victory, that he was "so glad" Hurricane Sandy had occurred, because of its political impact. (Matthews had apologized before Trump's suggestion.)
December 2012: Trump calls for the firing of Vanity Fair magazine Editor Graydon Carter, with whom he had feuded for years, over what he declares the magazine's "worst ever issue."
December 2012: Trump says "Scots should boycott Glenfiddich garbage" because the whisky brand selected Michael Forbes, a farmer who refused to sell his land to make way for a Trump golf course, as "Top Scot" of the year.
March 2013: Trump says, "Everyone should cancel HBO until they fire low life dummy Bill Maher! Get going now and feel good about yourself!"
July 2013: Trump asks people to "boycott & cancel subscriptions" to Rolling Stone magazine because of a cover featuring Boston Marathon terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
October 2013: Trump urges "everybody possible" to "cancel their subscription" to New York Magazine over an insulting tweet about Trump's marriage from Dan Amira, who was online editor at the time.
March 2014: After Trump is left off a CNBC list of the most influential business leaders, he says, "Stupid poll should be canceled—no credibility."
May 2014: Trump calls for the firing of, or at least an apology from, the person at The Oklahoman newspaper who wrote a headline calling then-Oklahoma City Thunder NBA star Kevin Durant "Mr. Unreliable." (The newspaper had already apologized.)
June 2014: Trump says people should "Boycott Mexico" until a Marine reservist who was jailed for crossing the border with loaded guns is released from prison. (He was released later in the year.)
April 2015: Trump suggests that conservative writer Jonah Goldberg, then a senior editor of National Review magazine, should be forced to resign for writing that Trump had been "tweeting like a 14-year-old girl" in response to another conservative writer calling Trump a clown. Trump also suggests Fox News anchor Bret Baier should stop having Goldberg on his show.
June 2015: When Spanish-language television network Univision severed its business relationship with Trump after his campaign launch speech, in which he labeled Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, Trump tweets, "Anyone who wants strong borders and good trade deals for the US should boycott @Univision."
July 2015: Trump calls for a boycott of Macy's after Macy's discontinued its business dealings with him over those same comments about people from Mexico. Trump also tweets "Great" when someone tells him that people are canceling their Macy's credit cards.
August 2015: Trump calls for the firing of the late conservative writer and Fox News commentator Charles Krauthammer, a regular Trump critic.
September 2015: After National Review editor Rich Lowry argued on Fox News that rival Republican candidate Carly Fiorina had "cut off (Trump's) balls with the precision of a surgeon" in a primary debate, Trump says: "Incompetent @RichLowry lost it tonight on @FoxNews. He should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him!" (Lowry responds, "I love how Mr. Anti-PC now wants the FCC to fine me. #pathetic.")
December 2015: Trump calls for the firing of then-CBS News journalist Sopan Deb and NBC/MSNBC journalist Katy Tur over reporting he disputed about how he handled protesters during a rally speech.
February 2016: Trump says people should "boycott all Apple products" until the company stops fighting a government request to break into the cell phone of a deceased California terrorist.
February 2016: Trump says Fox News should fire Republican strategist and commentator Karl Rove for being insufficiently positive about his victory in the Nevada caucuses.
February 2016: Trump calls on the Wall Street Journal to fire its editorial board, which had criticized him, and its pollster, which showed results he didn't like.
March 2016: Trump proposes a boycott of Megyn Kelly's Fox News show, complaining that it is too negative toward him.
September 2016: After the Dallas Morning News and Arizona Republic newspapers endorse Hillary Clinton for president and USA Today declares Trump unfit for the office, Trump says, "The people are really smart in cancelling subscriptions to the Dallas & Arizona papers & now USA Today will lose readers! The people get it!"
September 2017: Trump tweets that NFL players and other athletes who don't stand for the National Anthem should be told, "YOU'RE FIRED." He says in another tweet, "Fire or suspend!" And at a rally, he says, "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he's fired, he's fired.' "
October 2017: Suggesting he could use the power of the state against media entities he dislikes, Trump muses about challenging the broadcast licenses of NBC and other networks over their news coverage. (He again broached the subject of reviewing NBC's license in September 2018.)
November 2017: Trump calls for a boycott of CNN.
August 2018: Trump tweets, "Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great! Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors."
June 2019: Trump suggests people stop "using or subscribing" to AT&T to pressure the company to make changes at CNN, which it owns.
September 2019: Trump suggests that actress Debra Messing should be fired for calling on a news outlet to publish the names of people attending a Trump fundraiser and for a tweet promoting a church sign that said "a black vote for Trump is mental illness." (Messing had apologized for the tweet about the church sign.)
January 2020: Trump says The New York Times should fire columnist Paul Krugman, a winner of the Nobel Prize in economics, for having incorrectly predicted a global recession after Trump's victory in 2016.
May 2020: The day after Twitter appended a fact check link to dishonest Trump claims about mail-in voting, Trump threatens to shut down social media companies: "Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen."
May 2020: Trump seeks the firing of Chuck Todd, host of NBC's "Meet the Press," for the show playing a misleadingly shortened clip of comments by Attorney General William Barr. (Todd apologized, saying it was an inadvertent mistake.) Again broaching the power of the state, Trump tags the accounts of the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates television, and its chairman, Ajit Pai.

2. "Force vaccinations". To my limited knowledge, no one has been "forced" to get a vaccination by Democrats. Sure there may be negative consequences if someone were to choose not to get vaccinated but I am yet to know of anyone who has been held down against their will and vaccinated because Democrats made them do it.
Shit, we have people such as MICH and others on here who seemingly would love to have "forced vaccinations". I'm 100% against "forced vaccinations" but 100% in support of people who are vaccinated being able to go on with their "normal" lives feeling they are now less of a risk of contracting and spreading the virus.

3. "Ban social media accounts". See my response in #1. I'll add that I happen to be against banning social media accounts (unless someone is legitimately putting other people's lives in danger by posting what they do) but people calling for accounts to be banned is hardly strictly limited to being a Democratic issue.

4. "Ban books". That's an awfully broad statement. Ban some books is what I would say. Anyways, I'm against the banning of most books but there is a difference between deciding kids shouldn't be allowed to read something in schools and putting someone in jail for having a copy of a particular book.
What are we actually discussing when we say "ban books"?
There have been books banned by people who are not Democrats. Right? Wrong? You tell me.

5. "Stop fair voting". Are you out of your fucking mind? As Trad basically stated, one party is trying to make it a lot more difficult to vote and that same party questions any and every election in which a Republican doesn't win - but it sure seems they don't question any elections in which Republicans win.

6. "see racism in everything". No, not everything. Perhaps too many things for your liking but not everything. I would rather have a political party address racism and acknowledge it exists than a party doesn't give a fuck about it and pretend it doesn't exist.
You're the guy who has basically stated systemic racism doesn't exist. I don't think you're a moron but I do think you're dumb enough to believe that's true.
You're a guy with an Asian wife. Has your wife never been a victim of racism? I have a strong feeling that she would tell me she has been a victim.
If she claims she hasn't, then I have to assume she's blind, deaf, and naive.

7. "kill small businesses".
You are the guy with all the Youtube videos and heavily biased sources. You tell me, have more small businesses been killed by Republican or Democratic leadership. It's very possible the correct answer is Democratic but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Republican.
Whatever the correct answer is, I refuse to believe that Democrats "WANT" to "kill" small businesses.

8. "Not a party any intellectually honest person would want to be associated with".
You really are clueless sometimes. I am not going to compare apples with oranges but if you truly believe that Democrats don't have intellectually honest people who happily "associate" with the party, then you probably believe ALL Republicans are "intellectually honest" people. I promise you that's false.
Deleted User 89

what’s unfortunate is i actually agree with lobs philosophically about banning books

but as has been pointed out, that’s not what’s happening with Dr. Seuss titles

maybe, just maybe if lobs could get past his ideological bent and propensity to misrepresent, if not downright lie, about issues he might find more people that agree with his sentiment