ousdahl

HOAs

Post by ousdahl »

gross
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: HOAs

Post by jhawks99 »

Yes, we have one but they pretty much keep silent.
We walked away from a really nice, new house in Olathe when they presented us with 8 pages of HOA rules.
Defense. Rebounds.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Don't buy anything with an HOA. You're a fool if you do.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the sage speaks
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

right?

The housing market advice I didn’t know I needed.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I would never own a house with an HOA. Never.
Just Ledoux it
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

HOAs are expensive. But it is nice to call downstairs and tell the front desk I need a light bulb changed or my mail picked up. Or I want my water pressure turned up.

No lawn. No roof repairs. No tree issues. No plumbing issues.

I think it is relative.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Why would you need to call someone to change a light bulb or pick up your mail? Thats just pathetic and lazy.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I never even thought about the concept of valet trash service, and then I had it. Very nice.

HOA's in a condo unit are quite different than that of a housing division.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

HOA fees are so high out here that condos have already crashed. No one wants to pay $500 a month on top of your mortgage, especially when they just cut the grass. I've heard they are going upwards of $300 in KC in some places. They are for the lazy or dumb.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

But mostly for the wealthy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Our HOA is like $50 bucks a year and pays for landscaping in public areas.
Some can be horribly invasive, but ours seems to live and let live. At least for the year and half we've been here.
Defense. Rebounds.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Like I said, it is relative. No stranger comes into my building without my approval, state-of-the-art gym, steam and sauna, pool, and staff that wait on you. Like a hotel. On the Plaza.

I don’t even lock my door.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:25 am Our HOA is like $50 bucks a year and pays for landscaping in public areas.
Some can be horribly invasive, but ours seems to live and let live. At least for the year and half we've been here.
So, nuances. The connotation of HOA is generally in line with planned neighborhoods like gated communities or architecturally unique communities that wish to maintain their uniqueness. I'm aware of one HOA whose only demand was cedar shingles on the roof.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

defixione wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:01 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:25 am Our HOA is like $50 bucks a year and pays for landscaping in public areas.
So, nuances. The connotation of HOA is generally in line with planned neighborhoods like gated communities or architecturally unique communities that wish to maintain their uniqueness. I'm aware of one HOA whose only demand was cedar shingles on the roof.
that just sounds like it’s for the lazy and dumb :lol:
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:25 pm Why would you need to call someone to change a light bulb or pick up your mail? Thats just pathetic and lazy.
light bulb - Perhaps because you are an 87 year old woman who can't climb a ladder?
mail - Perhaps because you an 87 year old woman who is hospitalized?
Perhaps those excuses are "pathetic" and "lazy" to you but they are very legitimate and real to me and my mother.

I 95% understand why HOAs are generally NOT such a good thing for a lot of people but I also realize how they can be beneficial for others.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Though it’s not even more position or my department, I often am on the receiving end of HOA complaints.

But instead of just treating the HOA like it’s the guys who replace hallway lightbulbs and shovel snow off the sidewalks, yall second homeowners treat it like a personal assistant.

“Hi, I came up this weekend and decided I wanna re-stain my deck. And I know y’all typically ask us to confirm this sorta thing in advance, but I’m instead cold calling yall at 8pm on a Saturday to ask WHY DONT YALL HAVE SEVERAL CANS OF THE APPROVED DECK STAIN COLOR JUST READY TO HAND ME RIGHT NOW?! I know y’all aren’t the right guy, but I left the HOA guy a voicemail (at 7:57 on a Saturday) and I’ve waited THREE WHOLE MINUTES and haven’t heard back! So if you’re really asking me to call the HOA guy on his night off to make him come in and dig through the maintenance shed to find the right color stain for me right now, the answer is WELL YALL CERTAINLY BETTER!”

I can’t imagine every HOA is this needy, but the thing about second homeowners tourists is, the world seems to revolve around yall.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I've been a part of 2 different HOAs. I think they were both less than $20 a year. The first one covered the cost of cutting trees down that got near power lines or blocked the road. The one I'm in now covers pot hole repair since we're outside the city limits. I think there's a clause about how long a trailor can be parked in front of a house and how much acreage is needed to own a horse.

I'm fine with it. I wasn't even aware you could buy a house without HOAs unless you bought a farm/ranch or lived in a slum.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

225.00 for the year gets me...

Pool and clubhouse.
Garbage and recycling service.
Fourth of July Party
Christmas Sleigh-ride through the neighborhood and hot cocoa with Santa.
And a code of conduct to not rent or treat your investment like Ous and Beaver.

Pretty simple stuff.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

shit, now there’s an HOA to live in hawklin’s head too?!