KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 289

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 pm So a guy with zero head coaching experience.
Seems on brand.
Well, in regards to our last 4 coaches I would say it's more on pattern than on brand but I hear ya.
Does it really matter?
Sure I would probably prefer an experienced guy - who wasn't fired but we have had guys from all ends of the spectrum come and coach and very few have been successful.
If I am not mistaken this will be the 16th KU Football Coach in my lifetime.
A grand total of one had a winning record during his tenure and he was 50-48.
In other words, JUNK!
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I think this is a smart choice to try to keep players. They didn't name him the head coach. He can hopefully keep players from leaving (helps with our big roster issue for the last 10 years). Maybe he keeps the position for the year and the new AD gets a chance to see him do a good job. Or new AD goes another direction. This opportunity might be enough to keep Jones around as an assistant head coach to keep doing the recruiting if they go with a new coach. Another thing is naming him doesn't take away the in game responsibilities of the DC or new OC if KU is going to hold on a coaching hire until next year meaning 2022.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That’s not a bad idea. Keep the players this year when transfers will be any, but next year when “normal” is back and they have to sit a year when they transfer, the numbers should still stay high
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Both Vernon and Tully this evening are pushing that Banks Floodman has a ton of momentum for the AD job.
Deleted User 289

Dumb question/s time.
How do people know who is being considered (and who isn't) if Girod and those on the "committee" aren't sharing it publicly?
Is it wrong for me to question the integrity of those (or singular) on the committee who are sharing this with others?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK.
Deleted User 289

Who gets to do the thorough investigation of the Bank man's "incident"/"altercation" in 2012?
I believe the assumption and conclusion back then was that he was an innocent "participant".
I have no reason to believe he wasn't "innocent" but if he was the instigator - would that have a bearing on his hiring?
I only ask because we just fired a guy for something he allegedly did 9+ years ago - at another school.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Les was fired for something he did 2 years ago.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Les could have arguably have been fired after the first CC game. The BC game I still don’t believe he schemed.
UnholyLivingDead

Wonder what the buzz could be if RCT feels that way. Manning? Floodman?

https://twitter.com/rockchalktalk/statu ... 1867836418
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think Banks was loved by so many in that department and by the boosters. And Jayhawk Slant mentioned the 3 most talked about from what they've heard is Banks, Terry Mohajir and I think the guy from the Chiefs that was brought up.

Don't remember off hand.

I think Terry Mohajir is the guy they should go after hard. From KC, been in the department. Has hired 2 coaches in the last like 4 months. And both slam dunk hires for respective programs with Butch Jones to Arkansas State and Gus Malzahn to UCF.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

I think Mohajir would be a great fit. The third guy Slant mentioned is Travis Goff at Northwestern.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 am I think Mohajir would be a great fit. The third guy Slant mentioned is Travis Goff at Northwestern.
That's right. Thanks Unholy.

Go after Mohajir. Don't know if he would leave after 2 months at UCF, but ya never know.

UnholyLivingDead

There is really solid pool of candidates that have either worked at KU, have a degree from KU, or are from the state of Kansas. I'd start there and make every single one of them say no before I turned to the guy from the Chiefs or Royals or a local consulting firm.

Off the top of my head:
  • Terry Mohajir
  • Travis Goff
  • Missy Conboy
  • Mike Harrity
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Banks, was well, well liked by just about everybody during his time at WEF. Except for that guy who punched him outside of PNL. Anways.

Could he make a great AD that remains to be seen. This hire feels like it needs to be with a guy who has experience because what is coming down the pipe, at least potentially is going to be tricky.

If the rumors are true that the BMDs are driving the hiring bus then this has the potential to be an absolute disaster. I hope they are thinking just outside of what their Crimson and Blue glasses allow them to see.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Outside the box is likely the only option with this hire. I can't imagine why a sitting AD would take this job, but of course, you have to at least try.

As for the donors making the call, have to remember that they essentially pay the AD's salary, so there's that. And the glass half full view is to remember that it was a donor that hired Bill Self. Seems like a miracle now.
UnholyLivingDead

I wouldn't hate a Banks Floodman hire. At least not as much as I don't want Danny Manning to get the job. Of that list of 4 I just tossed out above, only one of those is a sitting AD. The rest are all associates within different departments (Northwestern, Notre Dame, and Army respectively) so it's possible they would jump at the the chance to head up their own athletic department now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 pm I wouldn't hate a Banks Floodman hire. At least not as much as I don't want Danny Manning to get the job. Of that list of 4 I just tossed out above, only one of those is a sitting AD. The rest are all associates within different departments (Northwestern, Notre Dame, and Army respectively) so it's possible they would jump at the the chance to head up their own athletic department now.
Yes, certainly possible wanting the promotion. I just have to wonder, even though Kansas AD sounds prestigious and pays prestigious, the job itself today, yikes. If someone's star is bright, there could be easier opportunities coming soon.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

or, it could be an opportunity to prove one’s chops, so to speak