KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Something you touched on is the importance of what happens after the hire.

If we have to reach all the way down to Kevin Kane or just retain Jones, fine, I can understand how it happened. But, run the goddamn department correctly and give him a fighting chance.

One of few silver linings here is that there shouldn't be any money issues like there have been in the past. The small buyouts + interim tag for Jones took care of that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Imagine going 9-4 in football.
Wow.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I might have been jaded by the early reports of who may or may not have been interested in the KU job and if those are true then Shannon is a step down from those early 'rumored' candidates. Of course those names could have all been complete BS.

Yes, Shannon is leaps and bounds better than Gill, Baty and Weis.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

A lot of coaches level of interest is directly related to how big of a raise they can negotiate from their current spot.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:49 pm A lot of coaches level of interest is directly related to how big of a raise they can negotiate from their current spot.
Right. Depending on who the name is that could certainly be a large determining factor. If this is still viewed as a 'dead end' almost 'no win' job then 'eh' will probably be the norm until someone can get this job right.

Maybe it is my own Crimson and Blue glasses but this job has to be more appealing than what it was when KU hired Les. If (IFFFFF!!!!) KU could just get the 'right' guy in place everything else is mostly in order for this to be a respectable program. Maybe some of that depends on who the next AD will be but I believe that hire will be because of what the candidate can do to improve and stabilize the football program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:55 pmMaybe it is my own Crimson and Blue glasses but this job has to be more appealing than what it was when KU hired Les. If (IFFFFF!!!!) KU could just get the 'right' guy in place everything else is mostly in order for this to be a respectable program. Maybe some of that depends on who the next AD will be but I believe that hire will be because of what the candidate can do to improve and stabilize the football program.
I think it is a more appealing job from a pure build a football program standpoint--better roster numbers, more money available to spend in last 2 years.

But, it has been a scary career killer job for 4 coaches in a row and there's no AD.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But you can at least look to Beaty and see how shitty he did but he still got 4 years.
You could assume Les Miles would have gotten the same amount of time.
And the bar is pretty damn low as well - a 5 win season would buy you another 4 years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:03 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:55 pmMaybe it is my own Crimson and Blue glasses but this job has to be more appealing than what it was when KU hired Les. If (IFFFFF!!!!) KU could just get the 'right' guy in place everything else is mostly in order for this to be a respectable program. Maybe some of that depends on who the next AD will be but I believe that hire will be because of what the candidate can do to improve and stabilize the football program.
I think it is a more appealing job from a pure build a football program standpoint--better roster numbers, more money available to spend in last 2 years.

But, it has been a scary career killer job for 4 coaches in a row and there's no AD.
And, if you're not a KU fan, that would require you to at least be interested enough in the job to do that level of due diligence. Which isn't a trivial hurdle that candidates have to get past. I'm pretty sure that we're viewed as a dumpster fire by most. Not sure how many have paid attention to our recent recruiting, and staff upgrades, etc.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:03 pm

And, if you're not a KU fan, that would require you to at least be interested enough in the job to do that level of due diligence. Which isn't a trivial hurdle that candidates have to get past. I'm pretty sure that we're viewed as a dumpster fire by most. Not sure how many have paid attention to our recent recruiting, and staff upgrades, etc.
I'm sure the coaches' agents know and will use it as leverage.

We have certainly paid our football coaches.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We've all seen the reports and only time will tell if they are true or not but the repeated names I've heard are... Liepold, Monken, Fritz, Lewis, Clark, Kane and Harrell. One of those names would be as close to a 'home run' hire as we could get and Randy Shannon would be a huge step back from one of those names.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kane a homerun?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm Kane a homerun?
Kane might be a double. Stand up.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Maybe I’m giving the position too much credit, but I think position coach at P5 is as low as we’d have to go. That’s Kane and was Beaty.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 pm Maybe I’m giving the position too much credit, but I think position coach at P5 is as low as we’d have to go. That’s Kane and was Beaty.
At least Kevin has been a defensive coordinator twice and was just recently named associate head coach.

I just looked it up Beaty was also the OC at Rice and co-OC at KU. Yikes.

I still believe that Kane could be the next Pat Fitz from Northwestern but he would be the last of my choices given the other options.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:44 pm Imagine going .500 in football.
Wow.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:47 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm Kane a homerun?
Kane might be a double. Stand up.
Single plus one base fielding error (E9).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I like Danny, but he's been a little too loud on this for me.

And, it seems he's clearly more journalist here than insider.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Mark Mangino endorsed the same guy.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I would be pleased if we hired him. Danny's endorsement probably means more in the way of he's not a candidate for the job so I'm taking this as good news.