Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 289

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 am Image

i know a lot of coloradoans didn’t vote for her, but i mean...c’mon
I wonder if more Coloradans voted for her because of her being a gun nut than those who didn't vote for her because she's a gun nut. I have to assume the answer is more voted for her because she is.
That's a/the big problem here.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:51 am

I wonder if more Coloradans voted for her because of her being a gun nut than those who didn't vote for her because she's a gun nut. I have to assume the answer is more voted for her because she is.
thoughts and prayers

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6059 ... ENEWS00001
Deleted User 89

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:51 am

Because the gun thing is a totem now, for many. Just like abortion. It's pure zero-sum tribalism.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I texted my Catholic friend, “how do we get us pro-lifers to be as concerned about gun violence as we are about abortion?”

I don’t expect a response.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://twitter.com/ericswalwell/status ... 73090?s=21

The answer very clearly is that there is not a number. There simply doesn’t exist a number of times where we won’t accept one more.
colbond

Post by colbond »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man so some peeps here are legit upset about the Boulder shooting.

Mind, these are kids who grew up in CO and had to endure the Columbine school shooting, and Aurora theater shooting, among other shootings both here and across the country.

It’s freaky. Homies are unnerved!

But if there’s a silver lining to it happening in Boulder, is that it’s an uppity progressive enough place that they might try to do something about it?

Meh prob not.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

At least you have a Democratic Governor and Democratic U.S.(eless) Senators.
I still have no freaking clue how Lauren Boebert was elected. Well, actually I kind of do if the election came down to how people feel about their guns and the fact (?) that Diane Mitsch Bush is as likable as anal warts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Her district is the west slope. Aka rural rancher maga country.

And all guns aside, she looks good in a pair of hot pants. But when you add hot pants to guns, it’s rural rancher maga boner time.

But the important thing to remember here is, it’s just too soon to politicize this...

https://twitter.com/kathleen_belew/stat ... 66250?s=21
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

wannabe gi joes playing dress up
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But it's not even about this (having their toys), and hasn't been for some time. It's for owning the libs (or, not being owned by the libs).

It's cultish, as is much on the far right.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:34 am
But it's not even about this (having their toys), and hasn't been for some time. It's for owning the libs (or, not being owned by the libs).

It's cultish, as is much on the far right.
🏆🏆. Ding, ding, ding.....Don Pardo - let the man know what he has won!!!!!
Deleted User 89

...So why is it that for all the outrage and mourning with every mass shooting, nothing seems to change? To understand that, it’s important to grasp not just the stunning statistics about gun ownership and gun violence in the United States, but also America’s unique relationship with guns — unlike that of any other developed country — and how it plays out in our politics to ensure, seemingly against all odds, that our culture and laws continue to drive the routine gun violence that marks American life...

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9444417/b ... merica-usa

...No other developed country in the world has anywhere near the same rate of gun violence as America. The US has nearly six times the gun homicide rate of Canada, more than seven times the rate of Sweden, and nearly 16 times that of Germany, according to 2012 United Nations data...

...The US has by far the highest number of privately owned guns in the world. Estimated for 2017, the number of civilian-owned firearms in the US was 120.5 guns per 100 residents, meaning there were more firearms than people. The world’s second-ranked country was Yemen, a quasi-failed state torn by civil war, where there were 52.8 guns per 100 residents...

...Another way of looking at that: Americans make up less than 5 percent of the world’s population, yet they own roughly 45 percent of all the world’s privately held firearms.

That does not, however, mean that every American adult actually owns guns. In fact, gun ownership is concentrated among a minority of the US population...

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:38 pm ...So why is it that for all the outrage and mourning with every mass shooting, nothing seems to change? To understand that, it’s important to grasp not just the stunning statistics about gun ownership and gun violence in the United States, but also America’s unique relationship with guns — unlike that of any other developed country — and how it plays out in our politics to ensure, seemingly against all odds, that our culture and laws continue to drive the routine gun violence that marks American life...

...No other developed country in the world has anywhere near the same rate of gun violence as America. The US has nearly six times the gun homicide rate of Canada, more than seven times the rate of Sweden, and nearly 16 times that of Germany, according to 2012 United Nations data...

...The US has by far the highest number of privately owned guns in the world. Estimated for 2017, the number of civilian-owned firearms in the US was 120.5 guns per 100 residents, meaning there were more firearms than people. The world’s second-ranked country was Yemen, a quasi-failed state torn by civil war, where there were 52.8 guns per 100 residents...

...Another way of looking at that: Americans make up less than 5 percent of the world’s population, yet they own roughly 45 percent of all the world’s privately held firearms.

That does not, however, mean that every American adult actually owns guns. In fact, gun ownership is concentrated among a minority of the US population...

Between this and its spiritual cousin in the Covid statistics, we're really putting a new finish on American Exceptionalism.
Deleted User 89

it's sad, really
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:44 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:38 pm ...So why is it that for all the outrage and mourning with every mass shooting, nothing seems to change? To understand that, it’s important to grasp not just the stunning statistics about gun ownership and gun violence in the United States, but also America’s unique relationship with guns — unlike that of any other developed country — and how it plays out in our politics to ensure, seemingly against all odds, that our culture and laws continue to drive the routine gun violence that marks American life...

Between this and its spiritual cousin in the Covid statistics, we're really putting a new finish on American Exceptionalism.
Brilliant.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

I think it's what we call 'polishing a turd'