KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I read that Bean won't be here for Spring ball because of the late transfer. Advantage Daniels and Locklin.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:03 pm I read that Bean won't be here for Spring ball because of the late transfer. Advantage Daniels and Locklin.
Massive advantage.

But back to Locklin, the dude tore up Texas 5A football as a QB. He gets here and Beaty puts him in as a Wildcat QB because he didn't "spin it" like Bender did.

And then his lack of reps just killed him when Miles got here.

With Jones in charge and a big fan of a wide-open attack, my guess is Locklin already has a leg up on all the other guys except for Daniels.

Still think Bean gets majority of the snaps in 2021 season.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I admittedly don't know a lot about Mike DeBord but since he's the OC and QB coach, I imagine he's going to have a lot of input into who the starter will be. Perhaps Locklin has a chance to really impress and grab the job. Although I agree that Bean likely gets the nod. I don't think he would come to KU if he didn't have a great chance at starting. Ultimately, my wish for this season is that guys like Daniels, Easter, and Hawley don't have to play a single snap. They all need a true redshirt season to learn the offense and adjust to Division 1/Power 5 football.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

All this means is Kendrick will be the starter.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Some good energy out of the program today. Finally.

Saw some videos posted today and the team seemed excited. They love Jones.

Nice that Lassiter is back.

http://m.kusports.com/news/2021/mar/30/ ... -emmett-j/
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Does it make you nervous that the ENTIRE team loves Jones? I can certainly see a scenario were the team damn near forces a mutiny to keep him as the HC. Maybe that pans out but he has even less experience than Beaty did. If they pass up on the chance to get a Monken or Leipold for Jones this program might as well fold and become a basketball program only.

And just to be clear I freaking love Jones. He will make a hell of a head coach some day but right now I'm not so sure about it. If they get one of those two I mentioned Jones would be my first call to stay on this staff as I believe he is the most important guy right now.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Jones was as much or more responsible as Les for getting the roster numbers to this point, then I don't have that much hesitation to just giving him the job for the next 4 years.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

While recruiting is important especially here at KU that is only like 25% of the HC job duties and responsibilities. While he certainly has experience running a program that was at the high school level and that is completely different than a power 5 program. I love the energy he brings. I love the passion that he brings. He can certainly relate to the players he is bringing in but that can't be the reason you give a guy a job at the one of the worst programs in D1.

If KU is serious about turning this program around they lock either Monken or Leipold in a room and say what is it going to take for you to become our next HC.
Holidaysmore - 2005
UnholyLivingDead

I agree with you. I like Jones a lot, the players love him, and they wanted him to be in this position. But outside of letting him be the interim head coach for this fall, I'm not sure he's the best choice. The more I look at coaches, the names I like are Monken, Leipold, and even Fritz. If KU can hire one of those 3 and they retain Jones on their staff, that feels like the best case scenario to me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just being realistic about who will actually take the job.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The experience we need doesn’t actually exist. Unless we want to see if Bill Snyder has anything left in the tank.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:04 pm I agree with you. I like Jones a lot, the players love him, and they wanted him to be in this position. But outside of letting him be the interim head coach for this fall, I'm not sure he's the best choice. The more I look at coaches, the names I like are Monken, Leipold, and even Fritz. If KU can hire one of those 3 and they retain Jones on their staff, that feels like the best case scenario to me.
I think the ultimate best play is Monken and he brings a hybrid option offense. Spread-focused but option tendencies and plays. But always have like 3 WRs on the field and don't be afraid to throw.

He's a damn good leader and would be incredible. And then have him keep Jones, and you are doing some things. Think schools are afraid of Monken though and him being strictly an academy option offense.

Would love Leipold. Wins everywhere that he is, no matter the level. But he may not take the job and want to get a bit of a better job that comes open in the near future like Purdue or Virginia Tech or a massive job like Michigan or USC.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We'll probably have a big candidate shakeup after the new AD is revealed.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Jayhawk Slant mentioned Tulane's AD as impressing. The article was behind a paywall and I don't subscribe, but seemed to be the tone.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I saw that Dennis Dodd commented that coaches, admins are beginning to get 'frustrated' with KU's AD search and that one 'prominent' candidate removed himself from consideration from what he called an 'elongated process'
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We're not even 3 weeks into this.

It's a two-way street, and I'm sure there are candidates showing interest in this job at this unusual time to leverage their own positions.
UnholyLivingDead

I generally trust Dodd's reporting because even though he's a national writer he is locally based and really plugged in. However he had a really weird day yesterday deleting tweets and offering zero reason for some his comments.
UnholyLivingDead

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm Jayhawk Slant mentioned Tulane's AD as impressing. The article was behind a paywall and I don't subscribe, but seemed to be the tone.
Seeing the same thing from The Athletic. Their reporter says the finalists are Troy Dannen and Travis Goff.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Dannen is cool.

Just expect Willie Fritz to be the next HC.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

A Fritz hire would be 'meh' considering all of the other names we have heard that supposedly had 'real' interest in the job.
Holidaysmore - 2005