21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:32 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am So right now are we looking at a rotation of...

PG - Harris Pettiford
SG - CB McKissic
SF - Ochai Bryce
PF - Wilson Clemence
C - McCormack Adams

TyTy and Aidoo would change things again.

Mitch will be a nice leader for the guys.
I hope and expect Bryce will start going forward, even if it means - eeek - that Braun comes off the bench.
I agree about Bryce, but won't be Braun. It'll be Harris.
I like your optimism on Bryce. If he can beat Dajuan for minutes at pg, we’re in good shape.

And yeah, I’m scapegoating Braun just a little, but there’s blame to be had either way. (Haven’t we blamed everyone else enough?)

He’s a good rebounder for a guard, and wins the play hard chart. But he also shoots 34% from deep on 5 attempts a game, and that’s really only taking wide open shots at that, cuz he hesitates/can’t get his shot off if any less than wide open.

He’s got decent handles I guess, but doesn’t do much with it. Dude hesitates to drive/can’t get past most defenders. When he does drive, he doesn’t drive with purpose, and is not a notable finisher, nor playmaker. 1.9:1.3 assist:TO isnt exactly remarkable.

Then there’s things like, he prob got torched on defense more than anyone else last year, certainly more than any other guard. And while he generally plays with poise, he’s also prone to bonehead moments when he just throws the ball straight to the other team - the kinda shit that got TGIF pulled, but not him?

While I’m glad to have him, I also am not sure he really deserves 30+ going forward as a role player. We have better role players, and also the hope to get minutes to somebody who’s more than a role player.

I think he’ll be killer off the bench. He can still hustle and crash boreds, and his limited lateral quickness and long shot release will be less noticeable against second units.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm
That's extremely lofty. I can see the guy making absolutely no impact. As we discussed after the ksu-fhsu game, it is just a very different level of ball.
I agree and disagree with this. D1 to D2 is absolutely a different game. Especially in a power 5 conference. Where I disagree is the top level players can still play. I'm not saying he's going to come in and compete for all-conference honors, but I have a hard time seeing a 3 time All-American having absolutely no impact.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:57 pm Cam might give us some better high-low options, with him up top and DMac on the block
toilet.gif
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:57 pm Cam might give us some better high-low options, with him up top and DMac on the block
toilet.gif
lmao
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm
That's extremely lofty. I can see the guy making absolutely no impact. As we discussed after the ksu-fhsu game, it is just a very different level of ball.
I agree and disagree with this. D1 to D2 is absolutely a different game. Especially in a power 5 conference. Where I disagree is the top level players can still play. I'm not saying he's going to come in and compete for all-conference honors, but I have a hard time seeing a 3 time All-American having absolutely no impact.
Agree, it seems like there are a couple different outcomes out there. I had him playing over Mitch, but don't know if that is definitely a given.

Only thing I wouldn't want is if he is playing stretch 4 minutes instead of Clemence IF he and Clemence look to be about the same player. But, the backup 5 spot, give him all the minutes he earns.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If getting Cam is because of Curry decommitting, it feels a little more like a desperation grab.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:57 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:32 am

I hope and expect Bryce will start going forward, even if it means - eeek - that Braun comes off the bench.
I agree about Bryce, but won't be Braun. It'll be Harris.
He’s a good rebounder for a guard, and wins the play hard chart. But he also shoots 34% from deep on 5 attempts, and that’s really only taking open shots at that, cuz he hesitates/can’t get his shot off if any less than wide open.

We have better role players, and also the hope to get minutes to somebody who’s more than a role player.

I think he’ll be killer off the bench.
You probably wanted Svi to be on the bench too.

Who are our better role players? You spent all last year saying TGF and Enaruna were better than Braun when they clearly weren't. They knew it and Self knew it, and that's why they're gone.

I think your player evaluation is off on Braun. There is a reason he started games as a freshman and your boys couldn't beat him out for minutes this year.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

KU has offered Stanley Umude, 6'6 wing, grad transfer from South Dakota. Averaged 21.5 ppg last season. He's got a long list of offers too it looks like.

https://twitter.com/ElsenMidcoSN/status ... 42917?s=19
Last edited by UnholyLivingDead on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

All I said is I wish TGIF got more of a go of it when our lineups were otherwise not effective. Braun and co were getting blown out!

We just endured some of the worst losses of the Self era, looking like perhaps the least athletic team of the Self era. I just want to switch something up to avoid that going forward.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Illy, what do you think of Self going to TGIF in the second round once other lineups got us down 30?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm All I said is I wish TGIF got more of a go of it when our lineups were otherwise not effective. Braun and co were getting blown out!

We just endured some of the worst losses of the Self era, looking like perhaps the least athletic team of the Self era. I just want to switch something up to avoid that going forward.
i would imagine those two were making the same, or even worse, mistakes in practice

the other thing is that i’d imagine Self sees a difference if the mistake is made while at least trying to do things within the offense, rather than when free-lancing
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Within the offense...you mean standing around?

TGIF indeed never really fit into the context of organized D1 ball, but he also wasn’t afraid to just put his head down and go for it. I wish we had more guys with that quality.
Deleted User 863

LOL that is ridiculous.
Deleted User 863

You've dreamed TGF up in your head. Dude averaged 3pts and took a whopping 69 shots all year. He never showed any of the things you pretend he was magically going to do if he played over the players who are better at basketball than him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If I dreamed him up, then how come Self himself was the one suggesting and even trying to use TGIF as a remedy for our lack of offense and general aggressiveness?

This season was painful, man. I just want to try things to avoid that going forward.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:47 pm If I dreamed him up, then how come Self himself was the one suggesting and even trying to use TGIF as a remedy for our lack of offense and general aggressiveness?

This season was painful, man. I just want to try things to avoid that going forward.
Playing players who are worse than the other players who play over them won't solve any problems.

Whatever Self said to the media is what it is. He played 10min or more only 8 times and we lost 3 of those games.

There is a reason he is leaving KU and it is because he wasn't going to get any more minutes than he did this year because the guys ahead of him are coming back.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ousdahl has a real unsubstantiated beef with Braun. Its weird. Hisbshots not really THAT slow either. TGF could jump high......thats about it.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

I don't think Self is perfect, far from it, but i do think he is more qualified than messageboarders to determine the depth chart and which guys are the best.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man illy, where was this when we were getting asspounded back in January? The boreds coulda used more of your aggressiveness.

You’re my favorite right now, like who cares if you don’t fit in, you just put your head down and go for it...like the TGIF of posters!
kujayhawkfan

Post by kujayhawkfan »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:02 pm If getting Cam is because of Curry decommitting, it feels a little more like a desperation grab.
curry is not goning nowere
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK