Beard to Texas

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Beard to Texas

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Whoa.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Re: Beard to Texas

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kansas could always poach him from Texas. Don't know if he could be poached from UNC.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Also of note, Beard's buyout going to a Big 12 school dropped to $2M STARTING TODAY compared to $4M in previous years.

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Wow, was I wrong; I never thought that shit would happen. Texas is gonna be good for a long time.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kansas/Texas about to be an elite rivalry again.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Texas so frickin lucky in this whole thing. Bad Shaka contract just gets torn up and then a huge coaching upgrade after they fucked up the last hire.

Wonder what he’s going to get? $7-8m doesn’t seem off the table.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Would also think Tamar Bates will stay with the UT commit. They’ll be good right away.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Didn't realize he was making $4.2M at Tech. Damn. He's getting $6M+

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

quite the mulligan for the Longhorns
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess the question now becomes, how long does Beard wanna stay at Texas once he realizes no one at Texas cares about hoops
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

People didn't care much about Tech basketball either. They are now a basketball school compared to 10 years ago when they were all about Leach and football.

He's going to do some off the wall things to get Texas people involved. I loved his fireside chats he did at Tech, whether it was on a plane, in a locker room with a drawing of a fireplace in the background or whatever it may be.

kujayhawkfan

Post by kujayhawkfan »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am Would also think Tamar Bates will stay with the UT commit. They’ll be good right away.
do not think so
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
GregOsterswag

Post by GregOsterswag »

More than anything, Texas are front-runner fans. If the team is winning, people will show up. The new arena (going from 16.5 to 10K) will help a lot. Easier to fill obviously, and people like shiny new shit. Great hire.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

That is a big time hire but does he fall over the same hurdles Shaka did? Seems like Texas wants their coaches to do things the 'Texas way' and does that mean it changes how Beard coaches or runs his program?

If they allow him to do his thing Texas just hit a home run hire.
Holidaysmore - 2005
GregOsterswag

Post by GregOsterswag »

I saw something yesterday about a list of questions/demands Beard had for UT. One was basically total freedom to do what he wants, the other was that he be paid more than new football coach Steve Sarkisian. I'm guessing he heard what he needed to hear.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 am That is a big time hire but does he fall over the same hurdles Shaka did? Seems like Texas wants their coaches to do things the 'Texas way' and does that mean it changes how Beard coaches or runs his program?

If they allow him to do his thing Texas just hit a home run hire.
They better or he'll be gone.

He's got so much more personality than what Shaka did. I think that's going to win a ton of people over.

GregOsterswag

Post by GregOsterswag »

I don't know that he'd do this, but this is such a weird year in that a new coach could theoretically just invite his old players to transfer to their new school and they could play right away.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I wonder if Mac McClung will be on the move again.
Holidaysmore - 2005