College Basketball Media

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

College Basketball Media

Post by hasbeen »

Who do we love? More importantly, who do we hate?

Titus & Tate are about the only ones I don't constantly want to slap.

I'm sure the olds on this forum love Fran but he has been absolutely god awful ever since his kid went to OU. Dana O'Neil used to be a favorite of mine but she is clearly personally angry at Self over the NCAA allegations.

I'll give you a sneaky KU hater that it is rising quickly on my hate board: Matt Norlander.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
PhDhawk

Re: College Basketball Media

Post by PhDhawk »

Bill Raftery is the best.

I still like Bilas, but less and less over time.

The vast majority of the rest are average or worse.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Still love Raft. Also like Bilas, but he seems to never stop talking. Maybe that was always true and I just didn't notice, but I definitely do now.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bilas stands out as the best.
Seth Davis is a good writer - better than he is an analyst - but he's good generally.

Lance Banks this season makes me miss Fran.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

fran just seems so much like a name-dropper

can’t stand him anymore

give me raftery for color and bilas for analysis
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Like:
Titus
Bilas
Rothstein, even though a weirdo
DeCourcy

Hate:
Pretty much everyone else. They also are the most self-loathing journalists you can find. Absolutely hate their jobs and lives.

Particularly have a distaste for:
Forde
Dakich
O'Neil
Thamel
Wolken
Gottlieb
Greenberg
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bill Walton.

/thread
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Isn’t Fran rumored to be butthurt cuz Self wouldn’t let his kid walk on at KU?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Throw Jeff Goodman into the list of hate.
And, gasp, Vitale too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm Isn’t Fran rumored to be butthurt cuz Self wouldn’t let his kid walk on at KU?
That was the rumor back in the day, and it would not shock me at all if true. From following Fran on twitter, Fran the man is a pretty nauseating person. I like how he pimps the Big 12 and knows a lot about the league's teams, but he comes off as a pretty narrow-minded asshole outside of basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I didn't think I would but I miss Musberger.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

does gottlieb even have a job anymore?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

remember when he was a dark horse candidate to coach at ksu?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vitale is so bad, and yet just got a new contract (at like age 84!)

But fwiw every time I try to understand how Vitale is a hoops announcer, I remember there are people who like nickelback too, and it makes a little more sense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm does gottlieb even have a job anymore?
I heard he got fired from Banana Republic after he hung an entire shipment of shorts on the display racks the wrong way.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm Vitale is so bad, and yet just got a new contract (at like age 84!)

But fwiw every time I try to understand how Vitale is a hoops announcer, I remember there are people who like nickelback too, and it makes a little more sense.
Actually, back in the day when college basketball was just starting to be covered nationally, beyond the Sat/Sun CBS broadcasts, he was a breath of freshness beyond Billy Packer. He was/is in fact very knowledgeable about the sport, and shared it in an entertaining manner, bringing a level of joy and enthusiasm that was new to the broadcasting scene.

However, over time his shtick has not aged well, especially since he’s become a not-too-subtle Duke sycophant. Now he seems to be more interested in promoting his own loudmouth brand than doing the job of providing commentary on the game we, and he, are watching. Gets tiring after the first 20 seconds!
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

Watching less basketball in my life means I catch Vitale less often. I only see him in 2 games a year instead of 2 a week. I like him more the less I see him. He has a nostalgic feel where I can handle him calling the Duke Clemson 3 pm game that I have on in the background. He’s a good cheerleader for a sport that is getting less and less popular.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

hasbeen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 pm Who do we love? More importantly, who do we hate?

Titus & Tate are about the only ones I don't constantly want to slap.

I'm sure the olds on this forum love Fran but he has been absolutely god awful ever since his kid went to OU. Dana O'Neil used to be a favorite of mine but she is clearly personally angry at Self over the NCAA allegations.

I'll give you a sneaky KU hater that it is rising quickly on my hate board: Matt Norlander.
They’re all garbage, they’re all dickriders
edjayhawk

Post by edjayhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:03 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm does gottlieb even have a job anymore?
I heard he got fired from Banana Republic after he hung an entire shipment of shorts on the display racks the wrong way.
This!