Och

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

Re: Och

Post by hasbeen »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm Gotcha. Yes, he is getting an agent, but seems like door could be open. Sure sounds like he is gone, though.

“First, I would like to thank God for blessing me and giving me the opportunity to wake up every day and play the game I love. Thank you to my family for their love and constant support since day one,” Agbaji said in a statement on Thursday. “By coming to KU, I gained an extended family that I will forever appreciate. From my teammates, to my coaches, support staff and the fans, you are simply the best! Thank you to Coach Self and the entire coaching staff for trusting me and pushing me each and every day. Not only have I become a better player but an even better man.”

Agbaji, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, will retain NCAA eligibility while testing the draft waters. Per NCAA rules, student-athletes can participate in the NBA draft process if withdrawn by Monday, July 19.

“I will be keeping my NCAA eligibility throughout this process and look forward to hearing from NBA professionals on ways I can improve my game. This is a great opportunity as I work towards my goal of being a professional basketball player,” Agbaji added.

“Ochai and I talked a lot about his basketball future over the past couple of weeks so he could determine what was best for he and his family moving forward,” said head coach Bill Self. “After thinking that through, he made the decision to enter the NBA Draft. He clearly has a skill set that translates well to the professional game, and the NBA draft process will be a great opportunity for him to be evaluated. He will sign with an agent, but will continue follow the guidelines set by the NCAA and NBA to protect his collegiate eligibility. Och will be able to gain great insight on what areas he needs to work on which could improve his draft stock. I know that will be beneficial for him this year before he decides whether he should come back or remain in the NBA Draft process.”
When I read this yesterday, I got the feeling that he's either staying in the draft or playing in college somewhere other than KU next year.

I thought we'd get an "unexpected" departure but honestly thought it would be Bruan so he could choose the same school as his brother, but I see today that Parker chose Santa Clara so that was clearly never in play.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I did not know that about Parker. The kids are smarter than mom.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This does feel a bit premature and over the top, but CB is one that I don't see sticking around long. Whether that be this spring or next year.

I personally think he could a really good player if he has confidence in himself. But it just seems like we need to see something soon with him or else he'll kind of be forced out.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CB strikes me as the kinda player Self is gonna start for the next 3 years even if more talented guys are recruited, and are signed, and are stuck on the bench high 5ing walkons and waiting for that transfer portal, while fans like Newton stuff the suggestion box otherwise.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

But, this is where ous, et al. get really ridiculous. CB is not Tyrel or Brady, skin tone aside.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t see CB leaving unless it’s via graduation or the draft
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm But, this is where ous, et al. get really ridiculous. CB is not Tyrel or Brady, skin tone aside.
I would love for CB to stick around. He just has to be confident in his shot. Sooooo many times he would hesitate on a 3 when he was somewhat open. Have to fire those if you are one of the best shooters on the team.

This year is a big year for him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You’re right, Tyrel and Brady were statistically better shooters.

does CB really have that much more upside than either?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm You’re right, Tyrel and Brady were statistically better shooters.

By a lot.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm But, this is where ous, et al. get really ridiculous. CB is not Tyrel or Brady, skin tone aside.
I would love for CB to stick around. He just has to be confident in his shot. Sooooo many times he would hesitate on a 3 when he was somewhat open. Have to fire those if you are one of the best shooters on the team.

This year is a big year for him.
For sure, he needs the Brandon Rush treadmill (oddly enough, he was compared to Rush as a freshman).

He certainly didn't shoot like anyone wanted him to, but if he were just a shooter, he wouldn't play. But, you have to play him because he has the best feel for the game of anyone on the team. As a freshman, he was telling Isaiah Moss where to go in the offense.

He also has the best nose for the ball of anyone and also offensively rebounds above his height/skill level. He just needs to put it together when he has the ball in his hands because it seems he, like the rest of us, believed he was going to come here and just be a role player off the bench until his 3rd/4th years. Offensive mindset needs to match up to his athleticism and skill.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...as long as he doesn’t have to move laterally on D, and has 45 feet of space in every direction to get his feet set for a shot?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm You’re right, Tyrel and Brady were statistically better shooters.

Criticism is fair, but stuff like this is just disqualifying. We can't go full lobster on the hoops board.

And, I'm not backing illy (never would), but is your solution really Bryce Thompson? Like that Bryce Thompson?

Because why? He's black? Braun has been much more impressive athletically, physically and skill-wise. Braun's freshman season was wildly more promising than Thompson's.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I would take Braun over Thompson all day, every day.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm I would take Braun over Thompson all day, every day.
Yes,

Caveats, being, I expect both to improve a ton, If I was going to gamble, Thompson is the one I am more confident WILL improve. (based mainly on time in the system and HS rankings).

The thing that Thompson brought to this team was energy and increased pace. That doesn't show up in the stat sheet. But otherwise Braun checks more boxes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I would too, but I think at the college level that Bruan is better suited as a 3 next to a few guards capable of creating shots for others.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:39 pm I would too, but I think at the college level that Bruan is better suited as a 3 next to a few guards capable of creating shots for others.
Yes, it was the one positive I could think of if Och stays in the draft.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

don’t ruin CnB’s bro crush you guys.

And yeah I think both are good players and am glad to have both. But I agree that Bryce has much more upside.

I think Braun’s got a certain “feel” for the game, sure. Plays within himself and usually limits mistakes. Good rebounder, and hustles too!

But I think he also kinda gets too much credit for his western Kansas HS scouting report. He’s supposedly billed as a shooter, despite the weird slow mechanics, and the fact he just went 34% on a season when he had the green light and then some. Dude hesitated to shoot unless he was wiiiiiiide open, and even then...34%

But, speaking of feel - was it just me or did he miss a lot of easy play making opportunities too this season? And I dunno if he’s ever gonna be a reliable driver.

And he’s a good leaper on a wide open break, but athletically limited otherwise. I’m afraid he’ll get the Face Ass play hard chart award, where he gets credit for good D just cuz he hustles, affording a certain pass for the fact most D1 guards are gonna blow by him.

I dunno if Braun will ever be better than the 4th or 5th option - or rather, if he is relied upon to be more than the 4th or 5th option, I fear more seasons like last.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh dang! And I missed my full blown lobster on the hoops bored joke:

...heard Braun had a lightning quick shot release until he got vaccinated...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pm don’t ruin CnB’s bro crush you guys.

And yeah I think both are good players and am glad to have both. But I agree that Bryce has much more upside.

I think Braun’s got a certain “feel” for the game, sure. Plays within himself and usually limits mistakes. Good rebounder, and hustles too!

But I think he also kinda gets too much credit for his western Kansas HS scouting report. He’s supposedly billed as a shooter, despite the weird slow mechanics, and the fact he just went 34% on a season when he had the green light and then some. Dude hesitated to shoot unless he was wiiiiiiide open, and even then...34%

But, speaking of feel - was it just me or did he miss a lot of easy play making opportunities too this season? And I dunno if he’s ever gonna be a reliable driver.

And he’s a good leaper on a wide open break, but athletically limited otherwise. I’m afraid he’ll get the Face Ass play hard chart award, where he gets credit for good D just cuz he hustles, affording a certain pass for the fact most D1 guards are gonna blow by him.

I dunno if Braun will ever be better than the 4th or 5th option - or rather, if he is relied upon to be more than the 4th or 5th option, I fear more seasons like last.
I think Braun was hesitant and didn't always make the right decision. His shot selection was questionable, both ways, and when he decided to drive too.

But he was contested no matter where he went. I don't remember him being left wide open. He shot 34% because that was the scouting report.

I don't think he's limited athletically other than lateral foot speed on defense. I think he can be a reliable driver, if he figures out when to go and when not to. Och gets a lot of credit for defense, Braun's stats (stls and blks) are almost the same. He was 3rd on the team in rebounding. Had similar assist numbers as Och. And had eFG% and TS% almost identical to your boy Wilson.

Not sure why you're so negative on him, I mean besides the obvious reason.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pmdon’t ruin CnB’s bro crush you guys.
I am going to digress from here other than respond to just this and say that I have liked CB for a long time before he moved to Lawrence, but the role he played as a sophomore was not something I expected until his senior season. It is a combination of him both being underranked out of HS and that we did not pull in any blue chip talent guards.