KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:59 amare you guys serious about 8 figures?
I am serious about my demand being that high to take this job.

I disagree with holiday that KU is able to offer that, but obviously don't know for sure.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I think the thing that makes me lean toward Monken over Leipold is that I think Monken could coach the rest of his career here if he has success. He clearly wants a Power 5 job. He went after the Illinois job hard (of course, that is his home state so he has midwest ties). Leipold, if he doesn't come to KU this spring, will likely have big job offers next fall. I could see Leipold turning this thing around and jumping at a bigger job offer. Do I have any evidence to back that up? Not really. Just the gut feeling I get from both guys.

Edit: Didn't realize Leipold is actually older than Monken by a couple years. That changes my mind a little bit on him potential leaving for another job.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 pm I think the thing that makes me lean toward Monken over Leipold is that I think Monken could coach the rest of his career here if he has success. He clearly wants a Power 5 job. He went after the Illinois job hard (of course, that is his home state so he has midwest ties). Leipold, if he doesn't come to KU this spring, will likely have big job offers next fall. I could see Leipold turning this thing around and jumping at a bigger job offer. Do I have any evidence to back that up? Not really. Just the gut feeling I get from both guys.

Edit: Didn't realize Leipold is actually older than Monken by a couple years. That changes my mind a little bit on him potential leaving for another job.
I don't think that can be a consideration.

We're in the middle of the ocean, every captain/crewmember has died and the ship is rapidly sinking. If we find another captain, we can't be worried about what he's going to do if we can get this thing back to port in 3 days.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Apparently Fritz's name is emerging a bit.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Looking back at this. 8 figgies would be STEEP for KU and realistically not something they would be able to offer. Something in the two million range should be able to get it done for either guy.

I'll agree that every previous captain's ship has sunk but if he can keep this roster together, or at least part of this roster together and retain a couple guys from this staff I do believe this KU job could be a great opportunity. We will find out soon enough but I believe for the first time, really in KU history Athletics seems to be backing football 100%.

Best case scenario would be in three years that either Monken or Leipold leave here for another job because that would mean they had been successful?
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:52 pm Apparently Fritz's name is emerging a bit.
Of course this is all speculative but I have heard that Fritz has removed his name from consideration or he won't be seriously considered for the job.

Reading stuff on other boards apparently KU wants to have a coach in by the Spring Game. In person interviews starting Monday or Tuesday.

I believe it will be a two horse race with Monken or Leipold and my guess would be Monken gets the job.

I would be thrilled.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am warming up on Monken because he seems lower risk.

Risk-reward with Leipold. Seth Littrell's name was so hot 2 years ago.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Can't go wrong with either of those. Slope gets slippery if you move beyond Monken and Leipold.

I mean it was pretty obvious it was Miles in 2018. It seems pretty obvious that it's going to be Monken or Leipold.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Pros and Cons of Monken and Leipold (Will only do a few)

Monken
Pros - 43-21 at Army over last like 6 years. Seems very detail-oriented. Players play for him. Has a good personality for a P5 school
Cons - Limited to Triple Option offenses during his coaching career. Why not a P5 job yet?

Leipold
Pros - Dude literally wins. Players at Buffalo love him. Kind of old-fashioned approach with details and very guarded when talking about his team.
Cons - Kind of a odd character during press conferences and functions. Somewhat socially awkward. Will get be able to get a kid from Dallas to Lawrence during recruiting? Got passed up on a few job openings last year. Is that a sign?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the worst case with Monken is a boring, but stable 4 win average season for 5 years. Best case is like 2 seasons out of 5 with 7-8 wins

I think the worst case with Leipold is falling flat on his face and we are in this same spot 5 years from now. Best case, though, could be like a 9-10 win season in 4-5 years.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, if those are the scenarios, give me Monken.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:04 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:59 amare you guys serious about 8 figures?

I disagree with holiday that KU is able to offer that, but obviously don't know for sure.
8 figures you lost your mind. Neither one of your blank check coaches make 7....
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:05 pm Yeah, if those are the scenarios, give me Monken.
Monken. Come on down.

Years 1-3 avg 4 wins be competitive in most games and build for that fourth year when you have a big, experienced senior class that could be a 8 and up win season.

Zero excuse why KU can't be competitive and successful in football when ISU and KSU are.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm

8 figures you lost your mind. Neither one of your blank check coaches make 7....
Leipold is looking at a healthy 7 figure offer less than a year from now at a more stable program.

If I were Leipold, I would be concerned that KU would be my last ever Power 5 job. Hence, double the salary offer of another Power 5 at minimum.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Leipold is looking at a healthy 7 figure offer less than a year from now at a more stable program.

If I were Leipold, I would be concerned that KU would be my last ever Power 5 job. Hence, double the salary offer of another Power 5 at minimum.
Leiplod makes 615k today at a non-power 5 program. He would jump on 1.5 million in 10 sec
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Leiplod makes 615k today at a non-power 5 program. He would jump on 1.5 million in 10 sec
Respectfully, I disagree that money alone is going to move the needle for a hot CFB coaching prospect like Leipold.

And, more to the point, this is all my opinion were I in Leipold's shoes. I would proceed with so much caution with this job. I doubt any of us would take double salary today if we knew we would be out of a job looking for work with bad prospects in 3 years.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Oh yeah by the way that DC you guys do not want. Makes more than both these guys,
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Respectfully, I disagree that money alone is going to move the needle for a hot CFB coaching prospect like Leipold.

And, more to the point, this is all my opinion were I in Leipold's shoes. I would proceed with so much caution with this job. I doubt any of us would take double salary today if we knew we would be out of a job looking for work with bad prospects in 3 years.
Hot coaching prospect??? Leipold is not a hot coaching prospect.
ISU's HC is a hot coaching prospect. You want him you gonna pay,
You want Leipold you pay 2 mill you overpayed
edjayhawk

Post by edjayhawk »

What about the guy at Coastal Carolina? Can't believe this guy is off the radar. The guy has their program at a peak and he only makes $360,000.