Mahomie

Kansas Football.
kubandalum

Re: Mahomie

Post by kubandalum »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm I think Geezer is being a bit facetious.
Interesting word, 'facetious'. To my knowledge, in one specific way, it is unique among all words in the English language.
A lot of people actually mean “facetious” when they say “ironic” or “‘sarcastic.”
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Chiefs bringing in Kelvin Benjamin today. Low risk (money wise), high reward deal.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In a vacuum, sure. Not thrilled about what it means for Watkins.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:03 pm In a vacuum, sure. Not thrilled about what it means for Watkins.
Well he did practice yesterday, no? I think he was limited, but still practiced. I do wonder if it's a buy low type of thing. Good redzone threat. Has had decent years in the league. Weight is a concern, but could be a guy used for jump ball scenarios against smaller corners.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Watkins was marked as limited yesterday.
I'm torn between if this means Sammy is hurt worse than initially thought or insurance for Conley, who will be a FA next year.
Holidaysmore - 2005
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Predictably the Chiefs have signed Benjamin to a one year deal.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sammy Watkins out 4-6 weeks. Reinjured foot during practice. Likely reason why they signed Benjamin. Mahomes and Chiefs have done just fine without Watkins, 331 ypg and 3.25 TDs per game and the Chiefs have scored 34.25 ppg without him. Benjamin could be good if Mahomes knows how to throw to him. You basically have to throw it at him, can't let him run under a ball. He like to out-muscle guys for the ball.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Sammy. What a stupid decision to sign him and literally every person said he was made of glass when the Chiefs made that move. The Chiefs have been fine till now but that offense doesn't scare you as much with just Kelce, Hill and Mahomes when before it was all of those guys plus Watkins and Hunt. No team could game plan for that. You can take away or minimize that talent now. What are you going to get from Conley, Robinson, Benjamin and Ware?

This puts a ton of pressure on the defense. Before it was just show up and be average because you knew with the talent that was on the offensive side no team could keep up. That just changed. Dramatically. This also makes the return of EB even more important. One might also wonder what in the world is going on with the Chiefs training staff particularly Burkholder.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I disagree. The Chiefs still had little idea what they had in a Mahomes. They wanted all the weapons to help him get comfortable and Sammy was the best one on the market. Yeah, it hasn’t worked out yet, but there is still a couple years left and he’s still young.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I hope you are right, Newton. Updated reports now say that the timeline is 4-6 weeks counting the 3 he has already missed. Definitely out for Baltimore and next week he will be the dreaded....'week to week.' Would love to see the Chiefs lock up a first round bye (obviously home field even though that proposition is looking less and less likely with each player the Chiefs lose) so if the timeline is correct Watkins could be back by the divisional round.
I wonder what is going on around the Chiefs medial staff as of late. Between EB and now Watkins something doesn't feel correct with the way they have been handled.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 pm Watkins hurt.
That’s something new....
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think the drop off from Sammy to Conley is immense.
We coulda used those dollars on secondary help.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I like Conley. He's had a great last couple games. I think he's been underutilized since they signed Watkins.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:31 pm I don't think the drop off from Sammy to Conley is immense.
We coulda used those dollars on secondary help.
Again, I think Watkins was signed to get Mahomes as much help as possible while he was still young. And giving him a handful of weapons can always help. But now, we see that wasn't needed because Mahomes can do a lot in terms creating without needing his playmakers to bail him out. I still think he'll be really good over the next 2 years, but still quite a bit of money to him, but I think the Chiefs made the right call to sign him.

There also wasn't much out there with secondary help. Let's look at top 5 corners available..

Malcolm Butler, Titans, below average year. Better recently.
EJ Gaines, Browns, bad year. 1 INT
Rashaan Melvin, Raiders, he stinks. 1 INT part time starter
Bryce Callahan, RFA Bears, had a good year, Bears weren't going to let him go. 2 INTs
Trumaine Johnson, Jets, Injured for 5 games. 2 INTs in 7 games. Average year.

Safety market was even worse this offseason.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Butler would have helped us significantly.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

1 yr, 185k for Benjamin. Literally low risk, high reward. Next four weeks will determine if he even makes the playoff roster.

Knowing what the Chiefs know now (current production, injuries, and long term potential) would they still consider signing Watkins?

And looking at those corners removing Gaines and Melvin all of them would be considered an upgrade over Scandrick. He has completely fallen off the last three or four weeks. Showing his age. Better yet I would have liked for the Chiefs to keep Mitchell.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:31 pm 1 yr, 185k for Benjamin. Literally low risk, high reward. Next four weeks will determine if he even makes the playoff roster.

Knowing what the Chiefs know now (current production, injuries, and long term potential) would they still consider signing Watkins?

And looking at those corners removing Gaines and Melvin all of them would be considered an upgrade over Scandrick. He has completely fallen off the last three or four weeks. Showing his age. Better yet I would have liked for the Chiefs to keep Mitchell.
I'll keep saying this. Secondary is not the problem with this team. It's the ILB play and defending backs out of the backfield and against the run. That killed them in most of their games that were close or losses except for the shootout against the Rams.

Chargers tore up the Chiefs with Ekeler and Gordon. Pats destroyed Chiefs in 1st half with Michel. Chiefs struggled with Denver's backs in both games.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense

Dead. Last.
Did you watch Goff throw pass after pass past Nelson, Scandrick on MNF just a bit ago?
Ron Parker has no idea where he is on the field.

Secondary is a major problem.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Big test for Mahomes today.
Probably the best defense he will see this season.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Some defensive holding uncalled. Sometimes a reputation is more than reality