Ranking Awards/Accolades

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Ranking Awards/Accolades

Post by pdub »

I have trouble with NCAA MOP being so high because it very well could just be based on 1 or 2 good games - ( very important games ) - as opposed to 35 plus.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MOP is great for fans because of what it means for the TEAM, but as and individual accomplishment, it's based on 6 games AND is heavily dependent on teammates.

If we'd won in 18, Newman was frontrunner for MOP, but he wasn't nearly as valuable or as good throughout the season as Graham was.

Graham accomplished more all season than Newman did the lasy 6 games.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm Which would you be more willing to give back:

Frank’s POY, or Mario’s MOP?

Not to take anything away from Frank, but I really hesitate to think of 2008 as just another year.
It depends....does Mario's MOP go to Darrell Arthur? Because I'd prefer that over Caleb Swanigan Getting masons POY trophy.

If you assume the outcome of games are unaltered....POY is much more important.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:34 pm MOP is great for fans because of what it means for the TEAM, but as and individual accomplishment, it's based on 6 games AND is heavily dependent on teammates.

If we'd won in 18, Newman was frontrunner for MOP, but he wasn't nearly as valuable or as good throughout the season as Graham was.

Graham accomplished more all season than Newman did the lasy 6 games.
It is also officially called Final Four MOP. The regionals have separate awards and teams. That seems to impact some votes. Didn't think Chalmers was our best player all tournament. DiVencenzo over Brunson would also seem to indicate that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And Mario Chalmers was great and saved Kansas with that three pointer - but was he for sure the best player in those 6 games?

Rush I think statistically was better in that tournament.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CnB scooped me.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:42 pm And Mario Chalmers was great and saved Kansas with that three pointer - but was he for sure the best player in those 6 games?

Rush I think statistically was better in that tournament.
Arthur played well in the tournament too iirc.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MOP may be a more lasting legacy despite that.

20 years from now, KU fans and BBW Chads alike may remember Mario more than Frank.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:47 pm MOP may be a more lasting legacy despite that.

20 years from now, KU fans and BBW Chads alike may remember Mario more than Frank.
Pretty good point.

But, also a lot because of The Shot, though. We win by 5 in regulation and Shady takes home the MOP, that is kind of a trivia question. But, in some ways, so is NPOY with no title. Many wouldn't remember that Collison took home a NPOY.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

08 tourney stats:

Chalmers 14.8 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 3 APG
Rush 15.8 PPG, 6 RPG, 2 APG
Arthur 11 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1 APG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:47 pm MOP may be a more lasting legacy despite that.

Sure - most definitely the BBW Chads.
And a lot of people will remember the movie Avatar.
That doesn't make it a better movie than Saving Private Ryan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Those stats are skewed too cuz our first three games were blowouts...what was Matt Kleinmann’s stats?

ETA but also because they were blowouts, maybe the starter stat lines weren’t that skewed after all.

If they were, it was because balanced team more than blowouts
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rush never scored fewer than 12 points in any game.
Chalmers 11.
Arthur had four games under 8 points.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

They'll certainly remember 2008 more.

But it's not like Chalmers is Manning, he wasn't even the best player on the '08 team imho.

Part of what made that team so great is it was the consummate team.

If Chalmers gets remembered, it's for a single shot, more than for winning MOP or for how he played in the FF.

Had we won it in 2012, there's a reasonable chance EJ is named MOP. You think he goes down as a better Jayhawk than Mason?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Kleinmann had 2 boreds against Portland State, and also logged a minute against unlv, nova, and Roi.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 pm

Pretty good point.

But, also a lot because of The Shot, though. We win by 5 in regulation and Shady takes home the MOP, that is kind of a trivia question. But, in some ways, so is NPOY with no title. Many wouldn't remember that Collison took home a NPOY.

Who doesn't remember that?!?!?!

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm Had we won it in 2012, there's a reasonable chance EJ is named MOP.
TRob woulda won it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm

They'll certainly remember 2008 more.

But it's not like Chalmers is Manning, he wasn't even the best player on the '08 team imho.

Part of what made that team so great is it was the consummate team.

If Chalmers gets remembered, it's for a single shot, more than for winning MOP or for how he played in the FF.

Had we won it in 2012, there's a reasonable chance EJ is named MOP. You think he goes down as a better Jayhawk than Mason?
As had been mentioned, The Shot may skew it more than the MOP itself.

But as far as legacy - “who was the 2008 tournament MOP” and “who was the 2017 POY,” who’s gonna get that answer right more often down the road among KU fans? Or dudes named Chad with a fetish for fat chicks?

But heck, for what that’s worth, I can’t remember either most years. I think a standout performance is remembered more than the award itself.

Durant was poy right? And Blake Griffin? And Buddy the Elf? And that other OU dude with the pubes on his head? It helps that 3 in recent memory were all from our conference, and the same school. And the other was Durant.

The only mop I can think of is Kemba, and mostly cuz he went nuts. So maybe it is poy more so.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:12 pm Who doesn't remember that?!?!?!
This.
Though....I forget which he won?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s a thought:

In terms of Vegas odds or whatever, is it more difficult to guess a poy or a mop before the fact?