Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by InfiniteJ »

From Max Olsen of The Athletic:

It will be interesting to see how Leipold approaches building up his staff in Lawrence this summer. Multiple sources told The Athletic that Kansas asked candidates for the job to retain a certain percentage of current staffers for Year 1. This was pitched as a move to help smooth out the transition and for the good of the players who’ve already gone through enough change in their careers. The reality is this concession would be a cost-saving measure. The final bill for moving on from all the remaining staffers whom former AD Jeff Long and Miles hired would be seriously expensive. If Leipold has to make compromises on staffing decisions from the very start, it could create issues early on in the rebuilding process.

“I would imagine that’s going to be one of the biggest challenges for the incoming head coach,” one Big 12 assistant coach argued.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Also from Olsen:

“He’s one of the guys I would be fearful of,” the Big 12 assistant said, “just from what he’s done culture-wise and the coaches he’s got.”

Fearful? Nobody inside the conference has used that word to describe Kansas football in a long time. If they can give Leipold time to figure out this job and recruit the players he needs, he can get the Jayhawks back on the road to respectability and legitimate success.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You bring in your OC and DC. Everything flows from the HC which goes to both sides of the ball. Assistants, from there are able to teach techniques based on scheme and design. You don’t like it you get gone. Pretty simple.

Im pumped. You get most of what made Leipold successful but also hopefully retain what was a 50’ish ranked class plus some really good coaches and recruiters.

If Leipold can some how fix the o-line and someone pulls a QB out of there ass....
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

sdoyel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:38 pm Hearing Schoonover (sp?) will be retained.
They’re familiar with him. He was at Bowling Green.

Saw this tonight, and didn’t realize it but Campbell brought 8 or 9 guys with him for Toledo to Iowa State. It’s not that uncommon.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Would love if they kept Jones, Wallace, Drake and Jackson. Don’t care about any others. Those have been my core 4.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Wondering if we will see some of these names announced today. I have seen some rumors pop up overnight that say all 7 of those Buffalo coaches + 3 or 4 current KU assistants will be on staff because there are some changes coming to some of these guys' current roles. The big one I have seen rumored is Ianello will be an administrator, he won't be one of the 10 "coaches" on staff. The other one I heard was Ontalu would be in an analyst role, allowing Schoonover to stay special teams coordinator and Kwahn Drak as DL coach.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 am Wondering if we will see some of these names announced today. I have seen some rumors pop up overnight that say all 7 of those Buffalo coaches + 3 or 4 current KU assistants will be on staff because there are some changes coming to some of these guys' current roles. The big one I have seen rumored is Ianello will be an administrator, he won't be one of the 10 "coaches" on staff. The other one I heard was Ontalu would be in an analyst role, allowing Schoonover to stay special teams coordinator and Kwahn Drak as DL coach.
What I've heard as well. Ianello won't be on the field. And an analyst job at Kansas may pay as much as a position coach at Buffalo. But really like that the staffs will be blending the best of the Kansas staff with the best of the Buffalo staff.

UnholyLivingDead

If Ianello is something like director of football ops, that's not as bad as having him in charge of recruiting and taking up a position coach. So let's say those 7 from Buffalo are coming and those 2 mentioned above won't be on-field coaches. That gives us 5 coaches from Buffalo with 5 other spots to fill. Jones, Schoonover, Drake, Jackson, and Eargle stick around?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Think Eargle will be an analyst. What he was a few years ago in 2019.

They'll need a LB coach and a TE coach. My guess is Kotelnicki becomes the TE coach and Jones remains the WR coach.

I think it's all but a given that Jones, Drake and Jackson are a given to remain on staff. Working to keep Wallace for RB coach.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But to answer your first post today ULD. I do think some names will be announced within a few days. Starting with the coordinators because it's publicly known that DeBord and Eliot are gone. Their twitter pages say enough.

Rest will be announced as roles from previous staff are set.

UnholyLivingDead

Leipoold's S&C coach from Buffalo is also coming to KU.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... sas-staff/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 am Leipoold's S&C coach from Buffalo is also coming to KU.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... sas-staff/
Time will tell, but I see this as the first wrong move by Leipold.

This guy is pretty inexperienced and everyone seemed very happy with Iannacchione who had great experience at Wyoming and LSU.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. Not a fan of the move. I get it though. It's not like the other coaches who had been with Leipold for seemingly forever. This guy was with him for 2 years. Just eh.

UnholyLivingDead

Agreed. I thought Iannacchione did a good job and had some good experience. Rumor is he was offered and assistant S&C position but declined.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am Agreed. I thought Iannacchione did a good job and had some good experience. Rumor is he was offered and assistant S&C position but declined.
Even if he was offered "Co" head of S&C, that's a poor and destined-to-fail-way of getting him to stay.
UnholyLivingDead

Yep. Feels more like a token offer than a sincere effort to keep him around.
UnholyLivingDead

So this is a very weird Q & A with one of the guys from Buffalo's SB Nation site. He somehow seems to come across as both mad that we hired Leipold and happy he's gone? What a strange read.

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2021/5/4/ ... -ubbullrun
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not a big fan of those RCT guys based on what they say on twitter.
UnholyLivingDead

I know they were all-in stumping for Monken so it seems like they're a little bitter about it and all too happy to help that Buffalo guy throw shade on Leipold.