Another Stimulus Check?

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another Stimulus Check?

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 am at this point uncle joe and his never ending freebies are hurting more than they are helping. they are great for securing votes. terrible for a workforce.

video game sales and mtn dew sales are through the roof.
It sucks that you just spew lies based on your ignorant assumptions about people to try to make your point or get a laugh. Sales of all sodas have been on the decline for the last decade and continue to be. Video Game sales have shown no discernible change due to either the pandemic or stimulus money and have been on the rise for the last 8 years or so.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the fact that employers cannot find employees suggest otherwise.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am the fact that employers won’t pay wages competitive enough to find employees suggest otherwise.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

yup, they’re all stoners sitting on their couches living off your tax dollars, and getting fat on mt. dew

mich, you so smart
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mich, how do you feel about guys like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos not paying taxes?
Deleted User 89

patriots
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am Mich, how do you feel about guys like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos not paying taxes?
I'll save MICH the time: job-creators.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s wild.

Condone, or even glorify, dudes with more money than anyone could ever need while they enjoy however any billions in gummint handouts, while boogeymanning the poor folks who would rather stick to pandemic relief that pays them a few hundred a month better than the free market has ever been willing to.
Deleted User 89

i’m curious now

obviously it’s tough to beat the Gates crew for philanthropy. but, i wonder where musk and be is would rank as far as philanthropy as a percentage of wealth is concerned
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I see these memes like, it would cost 600 billion or something to just end homelessness in Merica. Or hunger. Or whatever.

And considering how many hundreds of billions each of those assholes is worth, they could single handedly end homelessness with little more than a drop from the bucket of their wealth.

but they don’t.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 am I see these memes like, it would cost 600 billion or something to just end homelessness in Merica. Or hunger. Or whatever.

And considering how many hundreds of billions each of those assholes is worth, they could single handedly end homelessness with little more than a drop from the bucket of their wealth.

but they don’t.
I mean, that's also kinda bullshit. Throwing money at things like homelessness wouldn't solve homelessness, the root cause isn't just people don't have money for homes. They make a cute post on reddit or twitter or whatever.

But, the point is valid that they SHOULD be doing MORE positive things with their money, They're in a position to do so, and I'd argue have a moral obligation to do so, and are not doing enough.

And they DO create jobs, and we should recognize that. But it's also ok to look at the quality and conditions of those jobs, and it's ok to think the tax burden should be higher for a multi-billionaire than it is without limiting their job creation.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferwa ... 84eacc9eba

...The biggest giver of the bunch, in terms of dollars donated, is Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffet. Forbes estimates that a whopping $40 billion of the nonagenarian’s fortune, which now stands at $73.5 billion, has been distributed to nonprofits, primarily through the foundation of his longtime friends Bill and Melinda Gates.

When measured as a percentage of net worth, the most generous giver is renowned hedge fund manager George Soros, who has donated 64% of his original fortune. The Hungarian native, now worth an estimated $8.6 billion, has distributed more than $15 billion to nonprofits through his Open Society Foundations, an international grantmaking network that supports advancing justice, education, public health and independent media...

...Bill Gates, who heads the world’s largest private foundation with his [soon-to-be ex] wife Melinda, is a notch below at a score of 4. Forbes has credited a slight majority of his foundation’s $55.2 billion in grants paid through 2019 to gifts by Buffett. Back in 2006 when the Omaha native pledged a lifetime donation of 10 million shares of Berkshire Hathaway, he stipulated that the Gates foundation must annually give away at least the value of his previous year’s donations, plus 5% of its own assets.

Eighteen other list members besides Gates, such as oil tycoon Trevor Rees-Jones and private equity billionaire David Rubenstein, scored a 4. Nearly a third of the list — including the world’s richest person, Jeff Bezos — scored a 1, which means they’ve donated less than 1% of their fortune...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 am I see these memes like, it would cost 600 billion or something to just end homelessness in Merica. Or hunger. Or whatever.

but they don’t.
There's an estimated 550,000+ homeless in the US. $600 million works out to a little under $1,100 per person. Not sure what homeless situation you're fixing for $1,100 bucks but it's not permanent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am the fact that employers cannot find employees suggest otherwise.
If they are $o de$perate to find worker$, I am $ure they can think of $ome way to entice them to come work for them. They can find workers just fine; just not at the rate they want to pay them.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

put them on a bus. send them to california. problem solved.
Deleted User 89

i’d vote to send them to michigan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno the exact figures. Re: how much it could take to “end” homelessness, and whether a single billionaire could put and end to it.

But the point is, the resources are out there!

Though instead of providing for the needs of the many, we provide for the greed of the few. We could normalize taking care of the down and out, but instead we normalize hoarding.

Heck, how many vacant homes are there compared to how many homeless people?

But again, we value personal wealth over collective lives.

Ain’t capitalism swell!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i need some idea's on how I can help. tell me what you are doing to help the homeless. minus championing the cause on the social media's.
Deleted User 89

imo, “ending” homelessness has very little, if any, to do with giving away money

even then, there are plenty that choose to be homeless
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:14 pm i need some idea's on how I can help. tell me what you are doing to help the homeless. minus championing the cause on the social media's.
what are you actually doing for any of the causes you feel strongly about?