Random KUBB you remember

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Random KUBB you remember

Post by pdub »

Prompted from the Dayton game:

What regular season games, vs non top 10 teams ( because you'll probably remember those ), do you remember watching on TV ( of course you remember the ones you attended ) or listening on the radio just because?

The Dayton game in 2019-20 wasn't top 25 at the time but I remember Toppin was a threat, was an early big time matchup with Dotson and Dok and was just a gorgeous night on the ocean, windows open, had the perfect buzz, BUD asleep on the couch, sippin' gin with the volume low, keeping my cheering at a whisper.

I also strongly recall a loss @ West Virginia in the 16-17 season where I was in Mexico, scrambling to find a VPN that would work so I could log into ESPN, when I randomly found out the game WAS on there, but broadcast in Spanish. We got our ass kicked but it was very memorable to hear the announcers agree in a different language how much bullshit the refs are in Morgantown. I created a very long thread on kusports.net.
Deleted User 89

Re: Random KUBB you remember

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i remember the Acie Law game...don’t recall rankings tho
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Was that Gilespie and A and M?
Deleted User 89

yup...and a loss at home

Law hit like a 30-footer or some shit to win it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I recall a lot of the games not at AFH around the holiday just because I get to watch in Lawrence with fam and friends.

I.e. a game at San Diego in the 15-16 season, just my little bro and I, at the bar at Wayne N Larrys. It may have been our first true roady that year and we handled them well.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:10 pm yup...and a loss at home

It was a guarded corner 3 wasnt it?
Just Ledoux it
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

TDub wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:18 pm

That is how I recall it. It was a real dagger and was fairly well guarded too.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

I also recall being at a game in the early 1990's when Woodberry hit a clutch 3 to win the game, or at least it ended up being the game winner. Anyone know what game that was? Pretty sure it was non-con.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Getting embarrassed by freshman in the preseason NIT in 02. McCants, Felton and Co. at UNC then Matt Walsh and Florida the next game.

Not so much a game, but a play I'll never forget. Against ISU in AFH, KU inbounds to Lee, against a little token pressure in a 1-2-2 press, he lobs it across the court to Miles who takes one dribble and throws a one handed 75 alley oop to CJ Giles right on the money.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Yup. Right in front of their bench.
Deleted User 89

in BRush’s grill
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cant forget senior night v Bob Knights boy and Texas Tech in 08. Everyone firing fire. Up by 30 or so at half and Knight says it's basically practice now after the meat necklace.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

pdub wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:33 pm Cant forget senior night v Bob Knights boy and Texas Tech in 08. Everyone firing fire. Up by 30 or so at half and Knight says it's basically practice now after the meat necklace.
That game was nuts. We could not miss from 3. It was ridiculous.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But I'm talking more about the random games that you remember more from other circumstances rather from the great plays.

Stories surrounding the game.

I.e. I remember taking my BUD to watch our first KU game together v ksu on a Saturday night in 15-16. We heard there was a Maine alum group at Bingas Wingas and it turned out it was just an older couple trying to keep it alive. Got drunk, ate wings, game was close but we pulled away, and I explained KU ksu and she probably was like, holy shit obsession.
Deleted User 89

i don’t remember the game, but remember RussRob’s senior night speech
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Guarded 3 in the corner over BRush. Think he scored the last like 13 points to win it for them. Just insane.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Ball State, freshman year of college, trying to figure out how to get the game with a friend also from the KC area. Finally figured out this new streaming radio thing in my dorm, we finally got it working and had a sigh of relief up 6 with less than 2 minutes to go... And we lost.

I remember a lot of the games from the junior-TRob year because I was living in London. There was no ESPN+ so I couldn't watch after the fact. However, I worked for Stats LLC at the time and they gave me access to their sling boxes that had every sports subscription imaginable. So I would wake up around 2am to watch most of the games.

One of the games that year was at some weird time so that it was middle of the day in London, so I went to Bodeans (American BBQ place) during lunch to watch the game since they had ESPN America. We won, but holy crap that was the worst BBQ I have ever had and it's not close.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

If it's mostly the stories you're looking for then all mine are of games I attended live, that are also ineligible to be named, lol.

Buddy of mine played for the Buffs their last few years in the Big 12. While waiting for him after the game met and took some pictures with all the KU players. Brady actually stuck around a few minutes and made some conversation. Best part was meeting all the CU players while wearing a bunch of KU gear. Cory Higgins laughed and made me put on a CU shirt before he would take a picture.

Another was the game at Nebraska in 17 when Svi hit a game winner in the final seconds. Between introducing Frost as the new football coach and the volleyball team playing in the national title game, I bet 90% of those in attendance didn't even know a basketball game was going on. 10 people in the row in front of me, 8 of them watching the volleyball game on their phones. Another a few rows back was reading a book. Talked to Zenger a for a few minutes before the game courtside and he confirmed my theory that being an administrator is all about who you know and not what you know.
Deleted User 89

EJ, ISU and melvin weatherwax
Deleted User 89

i also remember the Rhode Island tourney loss...watched it in an applebee’s somewhere between Lawrence and the Black Hills

maybe Grand Island?