Random KUBB you remember

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Random KUBB you remember

Post by pdub »

I remember that Ball State muscle cramp game well. I was in an art history class that would have these mandatory lectures from KU alum on weekday afternoons/nights. Sometimes they'd overlap KU games so you'd see the students get restless if it went long and you'd hear audible groans from students who either didn't know or didn't care when the guest would ask if there were questions.

I remember Ball State being one of those, racing to the car to turn on Bob and Max, and hear our players were out with cramps, and loosing.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

The Sweet 16 game against WSU in 1981 in New Orleans. One point. Every 100 miles on I-70 there were billboards that said 66-65. That’s it. Black background. Gold numbers.

The referees screwed KU on the last possession. But all Darnell Valentine had to do is make a critical layup.

That was the end of Ted Owens.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub, was that a Maui game, or am i thinking of a different one?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh man.

2006, Mario had 23 against ISU on my birthday. This chick I was dating made me let her take me to Abe and Jake’s for my bday (funny how chicks do that). Mario was there, I run up and say GOOD GAME DUDE ITS MY BIRTHDAY, he shakes my hand and wishes me happy birthday and is super cool even though I’m being a gushered birthday moron.

Fall 2007, Zona at home, I got in a wreck trying to turn into Set Em Up Jacks when some old lady T boned me. Close game, BRush just coming back with a brace on his knee, in crunch time down the stretch he’s throwing down back door lobs like classic BRush anyway.

I could go on and on
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I remember the Bud Stallworth 50-point game against Missouri. And how classless Missouri fans were.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Fall 1998 Iowa ends our home win streak.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iowa-stuns-no-10-kansas/
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:33 pm If it's mostly the stories you're looking for then all mine are of games I attended live, that are also ineligible to be named, lol.

Buddy of mine played for the Buffs their last few years in the Big 12. While waiting for him after the game met and took some pictures with all the KU players. Brady actually stuck around a few minutes and made some conversation. Best part was meeting all the CU players while wearing a bunch of KU gear. Cory Higgins laughed and made me put on a CU shirt before he would take a picture.
Was Corey Crawford part of that team? Some train of thought made me think of him this morning. Kid was such an athlete.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

I was driving back to KU from Denver and remember the Cole triple-double game via radio. It felt like he was so close all game to getting it and then boom, it happened.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tiiite

wasn’t that in the tournament tho?

Against some mid major that kept driving and getting swatted and never adjusted
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

thekid6 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:19 pm I was driving back to KU from Denver and remember the Cole triple-double game via radio. It felt like he was so close all game to getting it and then boom, it happened.
Ha, I was in the car for that one too, making the move from Des Moines to Chicago, had to listen on the radio.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:23 pm Tiiite

wasn’t that in the tournament tho?

Against some mid major that kept driving and getting swatted and never adjusted
I think Dayton?
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I too remember the Dayton game in Maui because we were in Maui and watched it at the pool/beach bar with a bunch of other KU fans.

My stand out memories are mostly of unusual circumstances where I was trying to catch the game. The famous last Mizzou game in AFH - we were in Belize and caught the second half and OT on a very snowy TV. I was on a tram in Lausanne, Switzerland hitting refresh frantically on the ESPN app for the WVU game in 2014 when Wiggs almost single handedly brought us back. Another one I remember was a GWU game back in 85 or 86 when I was driving back from visiting my uncle in TX and I got pulled over on the Turnpike near Wichita because I was trying to find a station on my car radio because I was losing the signal for the one I was listening to. I got let off with a warning, nothing remarkable about the game.

I was attending a trade show in NO in 2008 and caught the highlights of the KSU loss on the TV at a “gentlemen’s club”. Never heard the end of that one!!
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:33 pm If it's mostly the stories you're looking for then all mine are of games I attended live, that are also ineligible to be named, lol.

Buddy of mine played for the Buffs their last few years in the Big 12. While waiting for him after the game met and took some pictures with all the KU players. Brady actually stuck around a few minutes and made some conversation. Best part was meeting all the CU players while wearing a bunch of KU gear. Cory Higgins laughed and made me put on a CU shirt before he would take a picture.
Was Corey Crawford part of that team? Some train of thought made me think of him this morning. Kid was such an athlete.
I think you're thinking of Casey. KC kid that followed Bzdelik from Wake?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

zsn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 am I too remember the Dayton game in Maui because we were in Maui and watched it at the pool/beach bar with a bunch of other KU fans.

My stand out memories are mostly of unusual circumstances where I was trying to catch the game. The famous last Mizzou game in AFH - we were in Belize and caught the second half and OT on a very snowy TV. I was on a tram in Lausanne, Switzerland hitting refresh frantically on the ESPN app for the WVU game in 2014 when Wiggs almost single handedly brought us back. Another one I remember was a GWU game back in 85 or 86 when I was driving back from visiting my uncle in TX and I got pulled over on the Turnpike near Wichita because I was trying to find a station on my car radio because I was losing the signal for the one I was listening to. I got let off with a warning, nothing remarkable about the game.

I was attending a trade show in NO in 2008 and caught the highlights of the KSU loss on the TV at a “gentlemen’s club”. Never heard the end of that one!!
This is the good stuff.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NDballer13 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 am
Mjl wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 pm

I think you're thinking of Casey. KC kid that followed Bzdelik from Wake?
Sorry, yes, Casey, Corey was the older brother.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Does anyone else remember the Len Bias game with Manning? That one was a surprise to me. And kind of redoubled the tragedy of his loss later. Manning kept getting the absolute best other teams could send at him, making the 1988 championship all the sweeter. Great Alaska Shootout.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

All before my time but he was supposed to be outmatched in the OU game. That didnt happen.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm breaking my rule here but I distinctly remember a game v either 14 or 13 seed Illy Chicago in 04. Opening game.

Selfs first year, three buddies got a late start on a road trip down to South Padre, made our ksu buddy stop in some small town on the border of Kansas and Oklahoma, hole in the wall bar, bc we could not miss the game, walked in and felt like a movie. Locals. One guy had one arm and was playing pool. Cig smoke. We pull up in the corner table with some tiny mounted tv, order some burgers and beers, and soon enough, the entire bar is surrounding our table, cheering their ass off with us for KU.

Watched I think Mike Andersons UAB days later in Padre.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah.

2012 elite 8 at the WP pub, some tar heel is running his mouth the whole game, I try to be friendly but he just douches it up and runs his mouth even more, we go box and one and roi shits his pants, I start up the woo’ing and ric flair strutting around the bar, making a point to strut past Tar Heel’s table, but he apparently snuck quietly out the back door
Last edited by ousdahl on Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

WP pub?
That in CO?