Random KUBB you remember

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Random KUBB you remember

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:58 am
TDub wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:02 pm I was at Allen in 93 when we lost to Long Beach State. It devasted 11 or 12 year old TDub. I didnt speak for 3 days. Not a word on the ride home, not a word for 3 days.
I was at that game. I kept expect the roi boyz to get their stuff together. Never happened. I also saw us loose to Richmond.
I was also in the house for the Rice loss. Another horrible game. Roy came and talked to me after that game though, which i thought was pretty cool
Just Ledoux it
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

In the four years I was at KU I bet the number of games I missed you could count on one hand. One of those games I missed was the UT / KU game.

Was talking to another KU grad last week and we reminisced about the infamous Lawrence micro burst. I was living in the Towers then and the tornado sirens are going off. My then girlfriend at the time wakes me up and asks if we should seek shelter. I told her no way. Let's get to the windows and see if we can spot it. That also happened to be the day of the KU / UT Big 12 championship game. Drove around to sports bars to find a place that still had power to watch the game.

New Years day. The Ga Tech revenge game. The loudest venue I have ever been a part of. That was pre-piped in music days. Had seats in the student section and were directly across from the players families section. Jack, is walking off the court after the end of the game and Langford's girlfriend at the time was taunting and yelling at him as he walked through the tunnel.

Freshman year Bucknell. Lived in Oliver. My roommate had met a girl, from Chicago was in town visiting KU for the KU KSU football game. Well they hit it off that night and she was coming back in town for that weekend to visit again. She was a dead on ringer for hot Jessica Simpson. I tell my boy, listen it is Spring Break and you got a 'visitor' coming I'll go home so you guys can have the place to yourself. So I go home and they watch the game in our dorm room. Well you guys all know how the game went. He tells me as soon as the game is over she starts crying, gets upset and nothing ended up happening for him. Still give him shit about that to this day.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One "under the radar" amazing game was OU in...January 2006? Good OU team, Julian beat them with a FT line jumper with about ten seconds.

I think. From memory.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually it was a Mario floater.

I was at the game. Some of the best seats I ever had too.

Down like 16 with 8 minutes left, you could just sense the young team turning a corner in real time.

Instrumental to the comeback was the paint being controlled with the solid play of a promising young big man by the name of...CJ?!
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Julian had a tip dunk that game and when ESPN panned to the student section going crazy you can see a very young holidaysmore.

That was a great game and the Fieldhouse was rocking that day. OU had Bookout and Taj. KU had a very young, athletic and smooth Rush and you are right, CJ was incredible that game. I can distinctly remember how great he was on high pick and rolls and his ability to hedge a screen and then recover to the paint. A damn shame his family screwed up his head as he could have been a star in the Self system.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I recall the microburst game well.
Was living on mass near the castle tea room. Wake up to the freight train noise. Rush downstairs screaming “it’s the apocalypse” somewhat in jest. Try to get my hungover roomie out of his bed, “Am I dead?” “No” “Then fuck it.” Day drank in the lawn on lawn chairs while some sirens went off in the afternoon and a police officer told us to go inside using his loudspeaker. Someone was life lighted that day after being pinned between two cars.

Power out across Lawrence. Windows busted out at Vermont St BBQ but they had cleaned the glass, and had a projector.
Watched Julian Wright 360 Texas in the “open air” of downtown Mass. Still remember looking back at downtown and it was pitch black. Surreal.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah that was wild.

I was laying in bed hungover when I hear this big ruckus, like a giant windstorm or something. I don’t remember the order of which happened next, but it was my phone blowing up with “are you alive” text messages and the sirens going off.

Look outside, and a tree blew over and missed my car by about 3 feet. Walk around some, and remember the bleachers at the soccer field on 19th street being bent up at one end and twisted 90 degrees. Kinda hard to fathom the wind power that must have taken.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I saw KU lose to a no-loss Indiana team because the ref called "palming" on Donnie Von Moore. Incredible bit of junk officiating.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Anyone remember the UMass "haircut" game...went to the Sprint Center to watch and could not believe how bad we played!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V