KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by Sparko »

A pulse is detected but life support required. The Norwegian Blue parrot has been replaced by something not nailed to the perch. Progress.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Interesting thought after seeing the CFB HOF nominees today:

Isn't Leipold pretty much a lock for the HOF?

And Les in the mix, but could get knocked for this last scandal?

KUFB is weird.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 am Interesting thought after seeing the CFB HOF nominees today:

Isn't Leipold pretty much a lock for the HOF?

And Les in the mix, but could get knocked for this last scandal?

KUFB is weird.
Les was semi-functional for the last decade at least. Maybe they waive some of the weird controversies.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Prunty in the portal. That was the big loss that KU should have expected but hoped to prevent.

That’s a big loss.

2 of the best players on the defense are gone.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 pm Prunty in the portal. That was the big loss that KU should have expected but hoped to prevent.

That’s a big loss.

Damn wanted to avoid that all costs but damn that sucks.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think the defense can be shored up. I am more worried about the offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Impact defensive players gone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 pm Prunty in the portal. That was the big loss that KU should have expected but hoped to prevent.

That’s a big loss.

Really sucks, but he'll get to pick from nearly any program in the country. Guessing Va Tech or SEC.

With new transfer rules, I'm not sure how we get guys like that to stick around for a rebuild. Need to be competent and competitive on the field.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sucks to see someone give up. But the portal allows undermining of teams. See Buffalo. It was a trade we had to make.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 pm

That’s a big loss.

Really sucks, but he'll get to pick from nearly any program in the country. Guessing Va Tech or SEC.

With new transfer rules, I'm not sure how we get guys like that to stick around for a rebuild. Need to be competent and competitive on the field.
I was surprised by Harris and Terry. Then when you see where they committed to I wasn't. Prunty, by all counts was on the fence the minute the season ended and for good reason. You can't fault a kid for wanting to win some where immediately.

I guess it depends on if you are a glass half empty or full regarding the portal. You lose your three best defensive players but gain six (or was it five) from Buffalo. The portal giveth, the portal taketh. Maybe NIL changes some of that but the reality is moving forward you will be recruiting your best kids every single year.
Holidaysmore - 2005
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 pm

That’s a big loss.

I was surprised by Harris and Terry. Then when you see where they committed to I wasn't. Prunty, by all counts was on the fence the minute the season ended and for good reason. You can't fault a kid for wanting to win some where immediately.

I guess it depends on if you are a glass half empty or full regarding the portal. You lose your three best defensive players but gain six (or was it five) from Buffalo. The portal giveth, the portal taketh. Maybe NIL changes some of that but the reality is moving forward you will be recruiting your best kids every single year.
7 total if you include the DE who was a grad transfer from Virginia Tech that was committed to Buffalo but flipped to play for Leipold.

3 DL
2 OL
1 WR
1 LB
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The offseason is still largely considered a success. Losing Prunty narrowed that gap, but KU needed OL help. And that's what they got. They got Novitski, Ford and Grunhard. You get a top C in CFB, a freshman who was going to be the starting RT at Buffalo and a guy who was Notre Dame's backup IOL (C and G)

Losing Harris stunk. But Wilson is a decent replacement. Terry was a loss, but he was a rotational guy, but was on his way to being a solid starter.

Prunty was THE GUY though. But he was a guy recruited by Dearmon, so he was hanging on by a thread.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

So Phog.net (24/7 Sports) started their summer preview series today with 3 questions about the quarterbacks. They noted Jason Bean isn't on campus yet. I know it's still really early but should we be maybe a little concerned he doesn't come to KU? It's not worth getting worked up because every team loses a few players/commitments when a coaching change happens (Prunty excluded, that one hurts) but maybe I'm extra nervous because I don't feel good about our quarterbacks.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 166297109/
UnholyLivingDead

Another rumored new hire in the support/administrative department. Good lord this area has been overhauled the last 3 years. Who knew there were so many possible positions KU was not utilizing??

https://footballscoop.com/news/kansas-j ... ck-knights
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We always say how could KU be so bad but the reasons have been right in front of all of us. A clear disregard for the football program since at least the Roy era, maybe even earlier. KU basketball has been the biggest gift and curse for the Athletic department.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Prunty should have stuck around. He was recognized here in a winless season and QBs avoided his side because of the sieve elsewhere. A little different at other places. Grass is greener here for CBs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As a NFL scout said recently, if you can play, you can play. Doesn't matter where. Go somewhere that you can play often, you will get recognized.

I hope he doesn't go somewhere and become a rotational piece.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Would you rather:

A. KU BB wins the B12 and makes the NCAA final next year but loose by 10. KU FB wins 1 game.

B. KU FB win 5 games but still get an invite to a minor bowl game which they narrowly win to finish 6-7. KU BB shares the B12 and looses to the 7 seed as a 2.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ll take B
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

B. But it’s more like A/B. Give me a mix.

But football HAS to be better. It makes the university better, and it takes some pressure off of bball.

But man, it’s close.