Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:24 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:00 pm i’ll also add, that i’m nearly 100% against late-term abortions
Only about 1% of the total number of abortions happen at or after 21 weeks (of the typically 39-40 weeks).

https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-you ... r-abortion
that seems like just about the right number that could be justified, imo
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pro-lifers believe what they are told to believe by men who preach the perfection of a wedge issue. A wedge issue’s life begins when polling data shows it is strong enough to get people to vote against their own interests. Some wedge issues are old enough to retire now-like pro-life hypocrisy. But it is a boomer and keeps working to spite the next generation.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:00 pm i’ll also add, that i’m nearly 100% against late-term abortions
Only about 1% of the total number of abortions happen at or after 21 weeks (of the typically 39-40 weeks).

Makes we wonder what percentage of that 1% is the “ripped from their mother’s womb” shtick that Trump and the GOP fear mongers rail on about. Seems like yet another case of the GOP creating a non-existent problem and then freaking out about it.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:14 pm

Makes we wonder what percentage of that 1% is the “ripped from their mother’s womb” shtick that Trump and the GOP fear mongers rail on about. Seems like yet another case of the GOP creating a non-existent problem and then freaking out about it.
i think the problem isn’t nearly as big as they make it out to be for sure...but, as i said before, i definitely am against abortion being used as a form of birth control, and so see a need for it to be regulated on some level
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:14 pm

You mean like freaking out about people being pro life for the sake of a future cheap labor pool to exploit?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

do you really think he “freaked out” about it?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Considering he demanded to be taken literally....yes? Lobster gets absolutely slayed for his bs, off the wall conspiracies. Why does Qusdahl get a free pass.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 pm Considering he demanded to be taken literally....yes? Lobster gets absolutely slayed for his bs, off the wall conspiracies. Why does Qusdahl get a free pass.
i’m not giving him a free pass

i just didn’t read this thread and come away with the feeling that he freaked out
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:58 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 pm Considering he demanded to be taken literally....yes? Lobster gets absolutely slayed for his bs, off the wall conspiracies. Why does Qusdahl get a free pass.

i just didn’t read this thread and come away with the feeling that he freaked out
He repeatedly asked others position when they questioned the legitimacy of his post, repeated his statement, demanded to be taken literally and put the onus on everyone else to defend their opinions and discuss the "sincerity" of a branch of his initial statement. It was embarrassing, honestly.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:01 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:58 pm

He repeatedly asked others position when they questioned the legitimacy of his post, repeated his statement, demanded to be taken literally and put the onus on everyone else to defend their opinions and discuss the "sincerity" of a branch of his initial statement. It was embarrassing, honestly.
well when you put it that way...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Maybe i should clarify further.....for Qus.

When someone posts nonsense....and others follow that up with memes and gifs and other gag posts.....and then the original poster gets upset that no one wants to further to discussion with sincere honest dialogue (which, to PhDs credit he did follow up with a lengthy and honest response)...it is laughable.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:02 pm You realize that a lot of pro lifers are, themselves, part of the cheap labor pool?
Perhaps that’s part of it - whether certain folks have more say in when or whether to have kids, vs. less say, and how that affects education, career opportunities etc.

Regarding whether this is by design - well of course the powers that be can’t come out and just say it’s about, or even has the effect of, maintaining a supply of cheap labor. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the effect isn’t there.

Also realize:
- the measures that allow folks to decide when or whether to have kids are considerably easier to access for those on one particular end of the economic bell curve
- how quickly “pro-life” can become one of those “do as I say not as I do” kinda things
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:07 pm Maybe i should clarify further.....for Qus.

When someone posts nonsense....and others follow that up with memes and gifs and other gag posts.....and then the original poster gets upset that no one wants to further to discussion with sincere honest dialogue (which, to PhDs credit he did follow up with a lengthy and honest response)...it is laughable.
I don’t mean to post nonsense.

If I may suggest it as respectfully as I can, try to approach discussions in a less knee jerk way. No need to get so worked up.

And come on. Id posit it’s hyperbole except I think you’re for real, so I’ll just add - if you really can’t tell any difference between me and lobster, that’s on you.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:02 pm You realize that a lot of pro lifers are, themselves, part of the cheap labor pool?
Perhaps that’s part of it - whether certain folks have more say in when or whether to have kids, vs. less say, and how that affects education, career opportunities etc.

Regarding whether this is by design - well of course the powers that be can’t come out and just say it’s about, or even has the effect of, maintaining a supply of cheap labor. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the effect isn’t there.

Also realize:
- the measures that allow folks to decide when or whether to have kids are considerably easier to access for those on one particular end of the economic bell curve
- how quickly “pro-life” can become one of those “do as I say not as I do” kinda things

This is some real Qanon conspiracy shit. I will not and cannot sincerely discuss any further as long as you continue to put forth this as a legitimate stance that you mean to be taken seriously. #Qusdahl2024
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:07 pm Maybe i should clarify further.....for Qus.

I don’t mean to post nonsense.

If I may suggest it as respectfully as I can, try to approach discussions in a less knee jerk way. No need to get so worked up.

And come on. Id posit it’s hyperbole except I think you’re for real, so I’ll just add - if you really can’t tell any difference between me and lobster, that’s on you.
I think you lost yourself at solstice. Go back and find you.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:35 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 pm

Also realize:

This is some real Qanon conspiracy shit. I will not and cannot sincerely discuss any further as long as you continue to put forth this as a legitimate stance that you mean to be taken seriously. #Qusdahl2024
seriously, that is your idea of Qanon conspiracy shit? that the powers that be like their labor cheap?

remind me again why you don't work in Idaho?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Jesus Christ. The conspiracy is that there is a mysterious "powers that be" (conspiracy 1....right out of the trump playbook) that have ultimate control over any of this and that they manipulate (and have for 2k years) the construct of their followers and followers beliefs in such a way so as to make them believe that life of the unborn is important solely so that they can use the unborn as a future cheap labor source (conspiracy 2).

Im done. Have fun.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hey Ousie, it's time to admit you're drunk and sit down.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What makes this not a conspiracy theory is that nothing is done to help those having forced births escape poverty. It is a wedge issue that widens the economic gulf. Demonstrably over time. We could value life and people by allowing them to live in dignity and fully educating them. Or we can sanctify zygotes and turn on conveyor belts. And say nasty things about Ousdahl for pointing out the bloody obvious.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:40 pm Qusdahl.

For the vast majority of people who are pro-life/anti-abortion, it's very simple. They believe life begins at the moment of fertilization and from that moment on, it's a human being, whether it's a 24 week old fetus, a 24 month old baby, or a 24 year old adult, there's no difference, they are all humans. Ending the life of a fetus, is therefore akin to murder. So they're opposed to it.

When you come to the conclusion that abortion is murder, then nothing really trumps it. Economic issues, genetic issues, timing, etc. are not good reasons, just like they aren't good reasons to end a born human's life.

I think it's actually the simplicity and sincerity of that stance that has you grasping at other explanations. It's much easier to poke a hole in an anti-abortion argument on the grounds of controlling women, or financial reasons than it is to try to argue around ending a human life. You WANT the reason people are pro-life to be something else, because you WANT it to be easier to argue against.

Of course there are politicians who say they're pro-life when they aren't, of course there are nutjobs who are pro-life for weird reasons, but that's a small minority. There are probably others who say they're pro-life cause they don't want to piss off their spouse or look bad at church...but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about people who are ACTUALLY pro-life, and that's the reason, they think a fetus is a human with a soul and all the same rights as any other human...maybe moreso, because they can't defend themselves.

This is not my argument, this is what I think MOST pro-lifers think. If you have a problem with that stance you should take it up with them. Misrepresenting their stance on a message board about college sports is probably not the right platform for the answers you claim to be searching for.
This is well written, but there is no data to back this up.