Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by twocoach »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:45 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:23 am I gotta call bullshit on that one. I don't believe ANYONE votes solely on abortion rights.
You'd be wrong.
My brother, a proud Christian, admits that he was a one issue voter - abortion - for a decade.

Stem cell therapy has changed this stance.

And he wants Trump to die. So does his Pastor. They thinks it's the only way to heal the country.
It feels like the vacuum will just be filled by the next power hungry, money grubbing grifter so I am not optimistic that this situation will be healed by the passing of Trump. The precedent has been set and the grifters now have the game plan for how to weaponize belief.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, they’re all power hungry, money grubbing grifters.

Trump was special though. His shtick had a certain charisma to it. He can really work a room when his audience buys in (e.g. rallies), and has that rep as that lib-owning, expert-defying, “I’m not racist I’m just telling it like it is” brand of political antihero that conservatives love.

I’m sure any political anyone would be thrilled to capture that lightning in a bottle. But in a sense, it’s a tough act to follow.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 am

You'd be wrong.
My brother, a proud Christian, admits that he was a one issue voter - abortion - for a decade.

And he wants Trump to die. So does his Pastor. They think it's the only way to heal the country.
It feels like the vacuum will just be filled by the next power hungry, money grubbing grifter so I am not optimistic that this situation will be healed by the passing of Trump. The precedent has been set and the grifters now have the game plan for how to weaponize belief.
I wondered about this as well. Would Trump's death make him a martyr?

Not sure it really matters. As Matt "Rapist Drunk" Gaetz acknowledged, this is the Party of Trump. But would they be a rudderless party if he were gone? By death? Maybe. By jail?

And "the game plan" is based on how long you can continue to get 80-year-olds to believe a steady diet of lies. That game plan doesn't appear to have longevity.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:57 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am

And he wants Trump to die. So does his Pastor. They think it's the only way to heal the country.
I wondered about this as well. Would Trump's death make him a martyr?

Not sure it really matters. As Matt "Rapist Drunk" Gaetz acknowledged, this is the Party of Trump. But would they be a rudderless party if he were gone? By death? Maybe. By jail?

And "the game plan" is based on how long you can continue to get 80-year-olds to believe a steady diet of lies. That game plan doesn't appear to have longevity.
When you have no platform of your own, you inevitably become the Party of (Fill in the Blank). They are a flock of sheep waiting to be shepherded.

Considering that people have been falling for Nigerian Prince scams for decades and continue to hand over their private information and money to grifters, televangelists and scammers every single day, I have no reason to believe that this game plan has run it's course and that people will catch on to what is happening. My guess is that this nonsense will continue for decades more.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:53 am Well, they’re all power hungry, money grubbing grifters.

Trump was special though. His shtick had a certain charisma to it. He can really work a room when his audience buys in (e.g. rallies), and has that rep as that lib-owning, expert-defying, “I’m not racist I’m just telling it like it is” brand of political antihero that conservatives love.

I’m sure any political anyone would be thrilled to capture that lightning in a bottle. But in a sense, it’s a tough act to follow.
He's a B-rated actor with some money and a transactional moral code. There's more than just this one example out there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Leave Ronald Reagan outta this!
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:53 am Well, they’re all power hungry, money grubbing grifters.

He's a B-rated actor with some money and a transactional moral code. There's more than just this one example out there.
other than Home Alone 2, what was he in?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:01 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:03 am

other than Home Alone 2, what was he in?
The Apprentice.

Frankly, he lives his whole public life as a performance so much so that it has become a caricature of a character.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so apparently Roe V. Wade is effectively dead in Texas now

with cash bounties for offenders?
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

The speed at which our country is spiraling towards full-blown authoritarianism is mind-boggling.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

kubowler99 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:42 am The speed at which our country is spiraling towards full-blown authoritarianism is mind-boggling.
Who knew that electing Donald Trump would lead to the undoing of the Founding Fathers.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Sad day here in Texas.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess what makes this law unique, and not promptly shot down by scotus (aside from scotus being shamelessly stacked) is that it enables not the state, but private citizens, to enforce it by allowing any old Merican to sue anyone they suspect of assisting with an abortion.

As in, if you’re a doctor or healthcare worker or friend or spouse or rape counselor or whoever, if I think you had anything to do with an abortion, I can take you to court for $10 grand plus legal fees
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but the sincere pro-lifer in me asks, why stop there?

Damn near 60k people have died from covid in Texas, and they aren’t offering vigilante bounties for reporting those who refuse to mask or vax.
Deleted User 902

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:09 am I guess what makes this law unique, and not promptly shot down by scotus (aside from scotus being shamelessly stacked) is that it enables not the state, but private citizens, to enforce it by allowing any old Merican to sue anyone they suspect of assisting with an abortion.

As in, if you’re a doctor or healthcare worker or friend or spouse or rape counselor or whoever, if I think you had anything to do with an abortion, I can take you to court for $10 grand plus legal fees
Yeah, it gives standing, for some reason, to private citizens to bring civil suits against those who assist in getting an abortion. Does not ban abortions, but in effect it does. No way this stands because, 1. What the fuck kind of law gives standing to third parties for no reason other than to punish a constitutionally protected right, 2. will like be determined that this burdens the ability to get an abortion.

Issue is that a primary injunction should've been issued to review how the law affects Roe, but more crazily, the initial challenge to this law was basically a sham proceeding to allow the Fifth Circuit to fuck around instead of having a legitimate proceeding. It's all very fucked, but...I think I still trust the SCOTUS to do the right thing here.
Deleted User 902

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:14 am but the sincere pro-lifer in me asks, why stop there?

Damn near 60k people have died from covid in Texas, and they aren’t offering vigilante bounties for reporting those who refuse to mask or vax.
Texas guvmit means they can force a 15 year old girl to not wear a mask in school, but also force that same girl to carry to term her rapist's child. Pretty fucked.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 am but...I think I still trust the SCOTUS to do the right thing here.
This should put them right on the spot about it too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:14 am but the sincere pro-lifer in me asks, why stop there?

Texas guvmit means they can force a 15 year old girl to not wear a mask in school, but also force that same girl to carry to term her rapist's child. Pretty fucked.
and this is just spitballing and halfway cheeky but also halfway serious, buuut

Could some 15yo sue the rapist for assisting with an abortion, since there’s no possible way she’d ever get an abortion without him?
Deleted User 902

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:25 am
dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 am but...I think I still trust the SCOTUS to do the right thing here.
This should put them right on the spot about it too
There's better ways that are less dumb to attack Roe. Using this logic, legislation could literally make say sodomy laws civil standing, so random people can sue gay folks for doing gay stuff in their gay bedrooms. Or civil standing to sue anyone serving black folks in restaurants.

Sounds dumb, but that's literally this law. Created civil standing for something that is constitutionally protected.
Deleted User 902

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:27 am
dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 am

and this is just spitballing and halfway cheeky but also halfway serious, buuut

Could some 15yo sue the rapist for assisting with an abortion, since there’s no possible way she’d ever get an abortion without him?
No, that would be too attenuated. I.e. Toyota isn't going to get sued because they made the car that was used to drive to an abortion. I'm not sure rapist are really looking to pony up the cash for abortions, but hypothetically, if you found a Texas provider willing to perform an abortion, and that rapist would then pay for the abortion (or the less taxing just driving the girl to the provider) yeah, I think you would be able to sue in civil court that he assisted with getting an abortion. HOWEVER, I think the body crime and rape charges would have more teeth and be the better route. I don't think you're going to double dip on damages here.