Star Article

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 89

Re: Star Article

Post by Deleted User 89 »

who else here thinks Caperton made racially charged comments towards teammates?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:20 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:52 pm What are they supposed to do? Just not report anything that everyone involved doesn't agree to or that isn't in 4K with perfect sound? Good grief.

For nobody else involved to even issue a denial...what else do you want?
I think in cases where a person's livelihood and well-being are involved, you need to be perfect. I'm sensitive because I was nearly a victim of a situation where a person was telling an untrue story to try to make me lose my job. Luckily, I retained an attorney who told them "If you print that, we're going through it with a fine-toothed comb. If there is even the smallest inconsistency, we'll be suing you for everything you have." Thankfully, they backed down. I've never liked the press after that.
And you don't think everyone that was named here had that opportunity? Let alone the opportunity to tell their side?

You can't just wash your hands of something just because people won't talk.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:52 pm What are they supposed to do? Just not report anything that everyone involved doesn't agree to or that isn't in 4K with perfect sound? Good grief.

For nobody else involved to even issue a denial...what else do you want?
I think in cases where a person's livelihood and well-being are involved, you need to be perfect. I'm sensitive because I was nearly a victim of a situation where a person was telling an untrue story to try to make me lose my job. Luckily, I retained an attorney who told them "If you print that, we're going through it with a fine-toothed comb. If there is even the smallest inconsistency, we'll be suing you for everything you have." Thankfully, they backed down. I've never liked the press after that.
And you don't think everyone that was named here had that opportunity? Let alone the opportunity to tell their side?

I don't disagree with that. It's just not a matter of life and death. It is people who signed a NDA, were still pissed off, and wanted retribution. Seems cheap to me.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:38 pm who else here thinks Caperton made racially charged comments towards teammates?
Not out of the question. But nobody knows except the players and coaches on the team.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:34 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:38 pm who else here thinks Caperton made racially charged comments towards teammates?
Not out of the question. But nobody knows except the players and coaches on the team.
absolutely...and maybe it’s irresponsible of me to be speculating. i’m just running through all of the things that could have transpired to have resulted in a guy worrying about having to check lug nuts (presuming that’s even true)

and, that whatever happened involved multiple other players, so it doesn’t seem like it would be something along the lines of sleeping with a teammate’s girl
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:40 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:34 pm
absolutely...and maybe it’s irresponsible of me to be speculating. i’m just running through all of the things that could have transpired to have resulted in a guy worrying about having to check lug nuts (presuming that’s even true)

and, that whatever happened involved multiple other players, so it doesn’t seem like it would be something along the lines of sleeping with a teammate’s girl
Teenage/early 20's boys regularly do all of the above. Hard to imagine that any/all of those were not a contributing factor. Which is why you need a strong coach to step in and say "Enough."
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Deleted User 89

kids in their 20s regularly use racially inflammatory language?

i don’t know what kids you’re hanging around, but that wasn’t my experience in college...and i spent plenty of time at the student rec hooping with both basketball and football players
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't disagree with that. It's just not a matter of life and death. It is people who signed a NDA, were still pissed off, and wanted retribution. Seems cheap to me.
For what it's worth, the only references in the story are to a non-disparagement agreement (which is not the same thing as a non-disclosure agreement, which is usually what is meant by "NDA").

I have no idea why this "confidential settlement agreement" would have non-disparagement (but not non-disclosure), but whatever.

You might be 100% right about their motivations. It might be 100% true that Caperton did something to at least partially be at fault here.

But it speaks quite loudly to me that, at least as far as I've seen, there haven't been denials of any of this.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:05 pm
JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 pm

For what it's worth, the only references in the story are to a non-disparagement agreement (which is not the same thing as a non-disclosure agreement, which is usually what is meant by "NDA").

I have no idea why this "confidential settlement agreement" would have non-disparagement (but not non-disclosure), but whatever.

You might be 100% right about their motivations. It might be 100% true that Caperton did something to at least partially be at fault here.

But it speaks quite loudly to me that, at least as far as I've seen, there haven't been denials of any of this.
I can see why the 4 players wouldn't. Probably contacted through twitter and all said no because of legal ramifications. Long and Miles is expected and it's obvious Reed is going to deny comment, it's his job to be as discreet as possible.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe I'm just missing something here. There are no players with anything to deny, because none were named.

As for the grown-ups...just because it's "expected" that someone would not respond or would only decline to comment doesn't change that they had an opportunity to deny (or clarify or put in context or add more facts), and didn't.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 pm Maybe I'm just missing something here. There are no players with anything to deny, because none were named.

As for the grown-ups...just because it's "expected" that someone would not respond or would only decline to comment doesn't change that they had an opportunity to deny (or clarify or put in context or add more facts), and didn't.
General rule of thumb my employers have always given is don't give the media anything to work with. "No comment" is the default, followed by "Contact our PR person."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Commenting on this just gives a non-story oxygen. These are weird people with money and influence. No upside to challenging the narrative. Wish this crazy SOB of a story into the corn.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 pm Maybe I'm just missing something here. There are no players with anything to deny, because none were named.

According to Newell he reached to all the players mentioned by the player and all declined. And I Think even some other players who he has connections with and all declined.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:49 pm

According to Newell he reached to all the players mentioned by the player and all declined. And I Think even some other players who he has connections with and all declined.
And then he didn’t name them.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He probably said something like, "If you want to deny this story, I'll put your name in the story. If you choose to decline or don't say anything, I'll leave your name out of it."

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Newell is the KU beat writer for the Star. Last thing he wants to do is burn bridges.

If I'm anyone connected to this story I'm either laying low for fear of what may come out or I am working with someone else to get my story out.

Really the two people who should be creating their own narratives right now would be Long and probably more specifically Miles. In the six months Miles went from a quirky, fun, eating grass HC to a creepy, perverted awful person. Miles, at this point may be so senile he doesn't even realize what is going on.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:55 am Newell is the KU beat writer for the Star. Last thing he wants to do is burn bridges.

If I'm anyone connected to this story I'm either laying low for fear of what may come out or I am working with someone else to get my story out.

Really the two people who should be creating their own narratives right now would be Long and probably more specifically Miles. In the six months Miles went from a quirky, fun, eating grass HC to a creepy, perverted awful person. Miles, at this point may be so senile he doesn't even realize what is going on.
Eh. I'd guess it's Long, and not Miles, who will work again.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

At some point we will hear Long's name pop up. I would want nothing to do with the guy but someone will take a chance on him because of his connections and resume.

Miles, on the other hand. His legacy might be toast.

As far as this incident goes and at least the initial negative press it was mostly a 'KU' issue. But this is the way the cycle goes and the Star played it perfectly. Slow time in sports with nothing much to talk about and it got national press. Once CFB and the NFL kick off people will have all but forgot about this story if they haven't already.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

what story?

lol
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was an argument on the team. A guy got dramatic trying to get attention about it. Wouldn't say how he pissed off his teamates. But they were wrong to be mad he told a reporter. Was asked to leave but attention must be paid.

I'll bet someone at the Star got put on a story that someone else wanted. There was a confrontation between "factions." Lug nuts were loosened. There was a kick at a car grill. Mellinger pulled a spork shank. A BBQ place was not reviewed adequately says unnamed source. That escalated quickly.