Anyone else getting tired of....

Kansas Basketball.
edjayhawk

Anyone else getting tired of....

Post by edjayhawk »

NBA players complaining to the refs all of the time? Seems like it keeps getting worse...
randylahey

Re: Anyone else getting tired of....

Post by randylahey »

I thought you were going to say liberal snowflakes. same concept I guess
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Fineex Phans showing they can count to 10? Wuddup wid dat?
Maybe they can help out the cyber ninjas.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-9-free ... penalties/

Player shall release the ball within 10 seconds after receiving the ball from the referee

It’s like the traveling call but more objective. Obviously in the NBA rules are just suggestions
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

edjayhawk wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:08 pm NBA players complaining to the refs all of the time? Seems like it keeps getting worse...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

zsn wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:37 pm https://official.nba.com/rule-no-9-free ... penalties/

Player shall release the ball within 10 seconds after receiving the ball from the referee

It’s like the traveling call but more objective. Obviously in the NBA rules are just suggestions
Coming next to iowa st
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

zsn wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:37 pm https://official.nba.com/rule-no-9-free ... penalties/

There is a video out there of a fan holding up the timer on his phone during the counting by the crowd...the fans got to 11 seconds in about 8 seconds of actual time.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am

There is a video out there of a fan holding up the timer on his phone during the counting by the crowd...the fans got to 11 seconds in about 8 seconds of actual time.
There's also video of a timer getting over 12 before he shoots, with no fan counting.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am

There's also video of a timer getting over 12 before he shoots, with no fan counting.
Haven't seen that one i guess.

He's been called on it at least once that i can remember...but it is definitely a bizarre (and slow) pre shot routine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

There are dozens of items in an average NBA game that bother me. Someone taking a few extra seconds to shoot a free throw is not one of them.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I guess the also-objective obvious lane violation(s) offset the time violations.

Sorry - I’m not so cavalier about the time violations. Call them or change the rules. Are we going to go down the path of (absurd example alert) oh, it’s just a small touch of the front of the shoe on the 3-point line…why dock him a point? They are ignoring so many rules that it’s getting ridiculous- traveling, palming, high dribble, 3-seconds, moving screens…….might as well get WWE referees
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

^^^
yeah, rules are rules
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I thought I was pretty decent at understanding most of the basic rules, but have never heard of a "high dribble" rule.
Deleted User 863

Nba refereeing qaulity is better than just about every other sports refereeing. MLB the exception that comes to mind and i think calling balls vs strikes is a tougher task.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am I thought I was pretty decent at understanding most of the basic rules, but have never heard of a "high dribble" rule.
It’s called differently by a few monikers - maybe it falls under palming/carrying. It’s when the players dribble so high that there’s no way the hand stays on top of the ball (legal dribble), even by the most charitable definition. They kind of push the ball forward or to the side. I learned FIBA rules first, so it’s a throwback to my early exposure.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 am
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am I thought I was pretty decent at understanding most of the basic rules, but have never heard of a "high dribble" rule.
It’s called differently by a few monikers - maybe it falls under palming/carrying. It’s when the players dribble so high that there’s no way the hand stays on top of the ball (legal dribble), even by the most charitable definition. They kind of push the ball forward or to the side. I learned FIBA rules first, so it’s a throwback to my early exposure.
That's kind of what I figured you meant, just wasn't sure if there was an older rule, in the ABA or some other league that actually had a ceiling on how high a dribble could be.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:39 am I guess the also-objective obvious lane violation(s) offset the time violations.

Sorry - I’m not so cavalier about the time violations. Call them or change the rules. Are we going to go down the path of (absurd example alert) oh, it’s just a small touch of the front of the shoe on the 3-point line…why dock him a point? They are ignoring so many rules that it’s getting ridiculous- traveling, palming, high dribble, 3-seconds, moving screens…….might as well get WWE referees
Exactly. Because without codifying this, they just occasionally actually make these calls at their whim, generally for the home team in a critical moment. It's bullshit.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

That was one thing I liked about the bubble. The refs seemed to be better and a lot of people pointed to not having a home crowd being a major influence for that. They still had challenges and what not, but a lot fewer of them were overturned. At least that's what it seemed like without getting too deep into researching it.
Deleted User 863

It's all magnified in the playoffs when all eyes are on 1 game. For the most part i think NBA refs do a fantastic job and let the players determine the outcome of the game.

30 teams playing 82 games. The body of work is good. And they put the best refs in the big time playoff games where mistakes are magnified when they happen (but they do occasionally happen).

I haven't been uphappy with the refs much during these playoffs. Bad calls happen, but the games have been good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Game 7 is worth an awful lotta $$$