Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's also a conference affiliation for athletic purposes.

Nebraska is not AAU. Neither is Notre Dame.

I don't see it as a factor at all. I'd just rather have it than not.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Saw something today that said the B1G bylaws require it's members to have a minimum amount of sports programs for both men and women and that as of now, KU would be short and might have to be creative in the near future to drum up some new sports programs. Also, Iowa St has even less programs than KU.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

obviously, EVERYONE is speculating, but...

numerous talking heads have stated that non-AAU status this time around is a non-starter (mainly because B1G doesn’t feel they actually have to expand at all)...obviously, time will tell

numerous talking heads have also notably downplayed the tv market angle because of the landscape change with streaming and a la carte programming

“Brand” and “Image” seem to be constants as far as perceived value of schools to be added to one conference or another

it’s hilarious to me, jfish, that you’d put KU’s football product above it’s AAU status
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am Saw something today that said the B1G bylaws require it's members to have a minimum amount of sports programs for both men and women and that as of now, KU would be short and might have to be creative in the near future to drum up some new sports programs. Also, Iowa St has even less programs than KU.
There are a number of very high-quality club programs that could be elevated.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am Saw something today that said the B1G bylaws require it's members to have a minimum amount of sports programs for both men and women and that as of now, KU would be short and might have to be creative in the near future to drum up some new sports programs. Also, Iowa St has even less programs than KU.
Don't need to be too creative. With Title IX, it is pretty simple = spend more money.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am I tend to think that, in terms of the relevance of our selling points, it goes something like this:

1 - KC media market
2 - Potential for (and recent history of) an at-least-representative football program
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

4 - Everything else (including AAU)
Are media markets really a thing anymore. With the streaming capabilities now, don't think households matter as much as they did 10 years ago.
I don't think you're wrong in concept, but the B1G still adds a ton of new eyeballs/screens by adding what is generally thought of as the KC media market (which, as has been well-noted, punches way above its weight in college sports).
In any sport for that matter. They are usually pretty dang high in next day TV ratings from soccer to NFL to CBB to MLB.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I saw that too, but it was flawed. I think the minimum they stated was 16 total programs and 6 specifically for men but the guy saying KU was short was counting the indoor men's track team and outdoor men's track team as one team, which is incorrect.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am obviously, EVERYONE is speculating, but...

numerous talking heads have stated that non-AAU status this time around is a non-starter (mainly because B1G doesn’t feel they actually have to expand at all)...obviously, time will tell

numerous talking heads have also notably downplayed the tv market angle because of the landscape change with streaming and a la carte programming

“Brand” and “Image” seem to be constants as far as perceived value of schools to be added to one conference or another

it’s hilarious to me, jfish, that you’d put KU’s football product above it’s AAU status
This is almost entirely about football. Even bad football is football. Like, Villanova would be a better candidate than us in a big number of ways, but they're not even on the goddamned radar for any of this.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:46 am It's also a conference affiliation for athletic purposes.

the nubs lost their AAU status right when they joined...it definitely mattered. member schools actually wanted to vote them out once they lost it
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

"Big 12 source says."
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Could be Kietzman
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:46 am It's also a conference affiliation for athletic purposes.

the nubs list their AAU status right when they joined...it definitely mattered. member schools actually wanted to vote them out once they lost it
But football matters more for a vote to even happen.

Again, I'd rather have it than not, but there are dozens of AAU schools not on the B1G's radar. And B1G is (possibly) interested in KU over Kansas State almost entirely for reasons that have nothing to do with AAU.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:51 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am obviously, EVERYONE is speculating, but...

This is almost entirely about football. Even bad football is football. Like, Villanova would be a better candidate than us in a big number of ways, but they're not even on the goddamned radar for any of this.
if you’re right, then KU will be the premier program in the new AAC, MWC, or whatever new 2nd tier conference that results from mergers
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am

if you’re right, then KU will be the premier program in the new AAC, MWC, or whatever new 2nd tier conference that results from mergers
I don't follow - I think that's what happens if I'm wrong, and having *a* football team isn't enough to get us into a superconference, even with our other strong selling points.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:54 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 am

the nubs list their AAU status right when they joined...it definitely mattered. member schools actually wanted to vote them out once they lost it
But football matters more for a vote to even happen.

Again, I'd rather have it than not, but there are dozens of AAU schools not on the B1G's radar. And B1G is (possibly) interested in KU over Kansas State almost entirely for reasons that have nothing to do with AAU.
Now that said, Goff should be hammering the B1G on this, as something that separates us from (for example) KSU. It's something that doesn't need to be explained away later.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Kansas football has sucked recently, but over our history we've had periods of being a solid program....and our fanbase will support the team if we can be even remotely competitive.

We can turn this football thing around!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:03 am Kansas football has sucked recently, but over our history we've had periods of being a solid program....and our fanbase will support the team if we can be even remotely competitive.

I’m just wondering how much the quality really even matters. I suspect it’s less than we think.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:58 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am

I don't follow - I think that's what happens if I'm wrong, and having *a* football team isn't enough to get us into a superconference, even with our other strong selling points.
what evidence have you seen over the past decade that would make KU’s football program a positive selling point?

we are the lobsters of college football - the butt of jokes, literally

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/7 ... iowa-state

NCAA Conference Realignment 2021!

The three scariest words in college football...KANSAS IS INVOLVED!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:05 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:03 am Kansas football has sucked recently, but over our history we've had periods of being a solid program....and our fanbase will support the team if we can be even remotely competitive.

I’m just wondering how much the quality really even matters. I suspect it’s less than we think.
Being bad is okay as long as you make money is how it feels.