Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
ChalkRocker

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by ChalkRocker »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:49 pm Yeah I think waiting beyond the end of this year spells doom for Kansas and where they will end up. I think you have about 6 months to decide. If you wait, your time may already be gone.

Just what I feel.
That's fair. We're all throwin' darts, but in reality, we're just along for the ride...

That said, I'm not nearly as anxious as I was last time around. I'm closer to "whatevs" that "oh, shi*!".
I'm the opposite quite frankly. KU has no one to hang on to right now. You had Texas and OU 10 years ago. You don't have them now. You have to sell yourself to conferences rather than sell to OU and Texas. It's a much more stressful case for KU than what it was 10 years ago.
I get it, but the first time, as I recall, there was a couple of weeks where it appeared OU/TU and a couple others were gonna go to the PAC. MU/NU/CU and TAMU were in the process of bolting.

At least this time, we've got a core of prgms that need each other, at least for now.

And I start with the supposition that we'll be okay regardless of conny (provided, of course, that BBall continues to be top-shelf).
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:32 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm

That's fair. We're all throwin' darts, but in reality, we're just along for the ride...

That said, I'm not nearly as anxious as I was last time around. I'm closer to "whatevs" that "oh, shi*!".
I'm the opposite quite frankly. KU has no one to hang on to right now. You had Texas and OU 10 years ago. You don't have them now. You have to sell yourself to conferences rather than sell to OU and Texas. It's a much more stressful case for KU than what it was 10 years ago.
I get it, but the first time, as I recall, there was a couple of weeks where it appeared OU/TU and a couple others were gonna go to the PAC. MU/NU/CU and TAMU were in the process of bolting.

At least this time, we've got a core of prgms that need each other, at least for now.

And I start with the supposition that we'll be okay regardless of conny (provided, of course, that BBall continues to be top-shelf).
i could be wrong, but i’d think b-ball would suffer if we’re forced to merge with AAC

we’ve benefitted a ton from being in arguable the top-to-bottom toughest b-ball conference in the country. not only would that change, but so too would the opportunity for “challenge” series with other conferences. KU would still get a few marquee matchups, but i don’t really see any of the presumed P4 scheduling striking up an AAC/Big12 challenge
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Not if our media revenue drops from $38 mill to something like $15 mill. The AD doesn't just make that up. We'd be fucked.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I may be too high on us, but I think PAC is worst case scenario, so basketball would obviously be fine.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:46 pm

i could be wrong, but i’d think b-ball would suffer if we’re forced to merge with AAC

we’ve benefitted a ton from being in arguable the top-to-bottom toughest b-ball conference in the country. not only would that change, but so too would the opportunity for “challenge” series with other conferences. KU would still get a few marquee matchups, but i don’t really see any of the presumed P4 scheduling striking up an AAC/Big12 challenge
Big East would, but yeah, I'd see the other 4 doing there own thing. Maybe PAC.

And fuck the SEC, I wouldn't want to do one with them now.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: And fuck the SEC, I wouldn't want to do one with them now.
agreed, but that’s beside the point
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

kubowler99 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 pm

Not if our media revenue drops from $38 mill to something like $15 mill. The AD doesn't just make that up. We'd be fucked.

This is all just my frickin' opinion, anyway, but I didn't say we wouldn't make changes. FB budgets out way differently that BB, and is vastly more expensive. That's where I'd anticipate the most change. Some of those changes might be a bit of a relief for everyone: team, staff, admin and fans.

Same time, there are many schools in non-P5 connys that have solid BBall reps and prgms, so it's being done.

Which leads me to think we'll be okay. Much better than "fuc*ed".
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

LOL ESPN already fired back at Bowlsby.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/stat ... 7153345539
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Response is entirely unsurprising, but I don't think Bowlsby is going off just vague speculation.
Deleted User 89

Dear Bob...

:lol:

so professional (i’d wager it was intentional)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:48 pm Dear Bob...

:lol:

so professional (i’d wager it was intentional)
It was. The letter that Bowlsby sent said "Dear Burke"
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Oh, and one more thing:

As a pkg., the smaller eight still bring a LOT to the table in FB, if they are looking to add or be added.

If they aren't elite, collectively they're still a clear notch above the best G-5 conny. Graduating a few select prgms to Big 12 membership might be a sweeter prospect than we're taking credit for. This is maybe even more true if you look at the athletic depts in gen'l, across sports.

In any case, it's not the ragged collection that's been inferred, propped up as a foil for the op eds.

All, as before, just this guy's take
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I agree with sitting tight and adding teams if the BiG is going to drag us through some humiliating delays.

ESPN has lost about 20,000,000 subscribers in eight years too, laid off 500 people this year and is still leveraging cable for all they can. So the media of the future is not here yet. I see streaming wars in our future.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:36 pm I agree with sitting tight and adding teams if the BiG is going to drag us through some humiliating delays.

ESPN has lost about 20,000,000 subscribers in eight years too, laid off 500 people this year and is still leveraging cable for all they can. So the media of the future is not here yet. I see streaming wars in our future.
Amazon prime. Hulu. Hell, even maybe NetFlix will try to get in the live sports game. Hard to say...but you're definitely right. Espn fox and cbs aren't going to be the only major players in this 10+ years from now.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

If what I'm reading is correct, then ou and tu don't enter the sec til the '25 season.

Soooo...time to ponder and appreciate.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm If what I'm reading is correct, then ou and tu don't enter the sec til the '25 season.

Supposedly. They won’t be around after this year. ESPN still owes Texas $150M for Longhorn Network. So if ESPN wants them in SEC, Longhorn Network will likely be Noel more. ESPN pays say $100M to Texas. Enough to cover the Big 12 penalty.

Texas and OU won’t be around until 2025. It won’t happen.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:51 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm If what I'm reading is correct, then ou and tu don't enter the sec til the '25 season.

Supposedly. They won’t be around after this year. ESPN still owes Texas $150M for Longhorn Network. So if ESPN wants them in SEC, Longhorn Network will likely be Noel more. ESPN pays say $100M to Texas. Enough to cover the Big 12 penalty.

SEC has a contract already though too. I don't expect that to just get ripped up, but maybe if everyone is wanting the same thing they'll renegotiate early?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:51 pm

Damn that Noel More. Bitch. Seriously though, eating $100M is pretty desperate. That is rolling dice. Snake eyes and their payouts won’t be so great. ESPN is destroying the brand out trying to corner the market. Hunt brother business ethics.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Maybe already posted, but here we go. https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sec-unanim ... 32309.html
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I know I'm being impatient, but it feels more and more like KU is going to get screwed and it feels like the best case scenario at this point is the PAC, because I don't think the B1G is interested.