KU vs South Dakota

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: KU vs South Dakota

Post by holidaysmore »

TDub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:43 am Im not entirely sure how anyone watched that and came away encouraged.
Bean looks like he can play.
Wilson looks decent.
Ky Johnson can get to the QB.
The young secondary holds it own.
Special teams didn’t stink.
Offense didn’t turn it over
Really liked Leipold’s aggressiveness when the ‘knock’ on him was that he didn’t like to go for it.

The biggest thing is KU won. Was it impressive, hell no but from here on out Ku will be massive underdogs so we might as well enjoy this while we can. It shouldn’t be understated Leipold and staff and 25 practices to install. You hope (maybe pray) it only gets better as guys get acclimated to the system.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

South Dakota with the Spring slate, some real size, and a lot of experience, was a great test it turned out. When I say they held back, they held back the passing game. Bean has an impressive arm. SD came in ready for the run and kept at least eight in the box all game long. Cost them too, guys were open all night if we had chosen to do that more. I remember the Herm Edwards loss to a bad Indianapolis team where he kept calling running plays into the stacked box. It felt like that last night. Bean was reading only one or two hot targets and getting rid of the ball. He can create space and give himself time to throw. The receivers looked good last night. There weren't lapses like in the CC game where receivers dropped passes--once even deflecting the ball for an easy interception. The defense held tough against 350-pound linemen. I guess I shouldn't be shocked, but SD had a huge and experienced O-line. KU used speed to contain the run. Bean really threw the ball well. Remember there was a TD disallowed by a toe. And he could have scored himself on the TE improvised throw. It was fun. You don't lose as many players as KU did and not see some holes. But really liked Leipold's coaching. Bean is the best QB we have had in a long time. What an athlete. We'll enjoy and learn. Killer schedule. Oh--and the best special teams showing in years. Nebraska lost last week based on just that part of the game.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:12 am
TDub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:43 am Im not entirely sure how anyone watched that and came away encouraged.
Wilson looks decent.
Really liked Leipold’s aggressiveness when the ‘knock’ on him was that he didn’t like to go for it.

The biggest thing is KU won. Was it impressive, hell no but from here on out Ku will be massive underdogs so we might as well enjoy this while we can. It shouldn’t be understated Leipold and staff and 25 practices to install. You hope (maybe pray) it only gets better as guys get acclimated to the system.
^^^^^^^^

Wasn’t pretty but with first game jitters, coaches adjusting at halftime to players they’ve never done that to before and they typical improvement from game 1 to game 2, KU will be competitive.

We asked for competent football. And with no turnovers, zero ST errors, aggressive 4th down calls and a game winning drive in the final 5 minutes, we got that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Just learned my buddy's son is on the SDAK roster.
I know, that and $2.25 gets me a ride on a bus and yet another meaningless post on the Crimson.com

https://goyotes.com/sports/football/ros ... alsh/11476

* "Walked on, they want to redshirt him but covid making that tough!"
Last edited by Deleted User 887 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

We were bad but... The SD squad was bigger and stronger and more disciplined than us yet we won. To me the difference was the QB's. Their QB blew a lot of opportunities with bad decisions. Clearly their o-line was better than ours but on the whole Bean made better decisions and better plays.

Our defense was respectable but I'm afraid a good passing team would carve us up.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

AlOerter wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:48 pm We were bad but... The SD squad was bigger and stronger and more disciplined than us yet we won. To me the difference was the QB's. Their QB blew a lot of opportunities with bad decisions. Clearly their o-line was better than ours but on the whole Bean made better decisions and better plays.

Our defense was respectable but I'm afraid a good passing team would carve us up.
Yeah we won. Fine.

But to me the bolded part just means the narrative that miles got the roster in good shape is bullshit. We looked like the FCS team.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think the size disparity was jarring. There are fewer players to draw from so you have to out-recruit directional schools at least. Obviously have not. We keep seeing cornfed brutes from the hinter lands and they have been often tougher opponents than we see later. Dakota teams seem to hang on to keedz.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I am glad we played Bean.
I hope we stick with him.
He made some ok throws, nothing difficult, and posed a threat on the ground.

The fear, in general, is that if we were to be this heavy running team with talented running backs, we struggled to get more than 1 yard per carry from our backs. Versus South Dakota.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:52 am
Wilson looks decent.

^^^^^^^^

Wasn’t pretty but with first game jitters, coaches adjusting at halftime to players they’ve never done that to before and they typical improvement from game 1 to game 2, KU will be competitive.

We asked for competent football. And with no turnovers, zero ST errors, aggressive 4th down calls and a game winning drive in the final 5 minutes, we got that.
I guess was just hoping that we were a little more D1 competitive or even P5 competitive.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I thought the O-Line was pretty bad, but it looked improved. Huge work in progress.

Bean will be fine. D loses a couple of starters to the portal and then to injury during the game and still looked really solid, and even better than I thought despite my month long 17-10 score prediction.

Coaching showed a lot of competence, which was an expected improvement. Pretty aggressive, too. Probably should have challenged that 4th down spot instead of being worried about the timeouts.

I thought the whole team looked improved, not close to fixed, but improvement was all we were asking for.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wilson looks decent.

^^^^^^^^

Should have read this post first before posting.

A lot of KU teams would have lost that game. The Bean to Fairchild pass and catch on 4th sticks out as something that wouldn't have happened in most years over the past decade.

And a shout out to the D-Line for playing tough. The record might not be the same, but I am all for, sometime soon, having a 2004-like season where the D dominated and the offense was slowly working itself into form under the OC's system.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:18 am

Wilson looks decent.

^^^^^^^^

Should have read this post first before posting.

A lot of KU teams would have lost that game. The Bean to Fairchild pass and catch on 4th sticks out as something that wouldn't have happened in most years over the past decade.

And a shout out to the D-Line for playing tough. The record might not be the same, but I am all for, sometime soon, having a 2004-like season where the D dominated and the offense was slowly working itself into form under the OC's system.
Wouldn't mind that 2004-like season. 12 DL played last week. That's pretty good. Need all the horses for this week.

And like you said on your earlier post, the OL was not great, but still seemed improved from what we've seen over the last few years. The worst OL according to PFF? The Center, Novitsky. Bet that doesn't happen again.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The jury is out on the O-line in that they obviously stacked the box. Hoping we see multiple threats next week. I was hoping they held back some things, but it is obvious that it will take a while to get the offense in. Playing FCS teams that had two months of spring games is asking for trouble--Washington lost to Montana for example. We will know a lot more Friday. CCU will be a chore.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Wilson looks decent.

Bean was fine, and I'm 100% for him getting every meaningful snap this year.

BUT - I didn't see him even getting to second reads.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

We didn't seem to run as much wide zone as this staff has done for the last 5+ years. Lot's of middle runs where RBs tried to bounce outside.

Bean seems really comfortable with RPOs, and he ran those plays to near perfection on Friday night.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:21 am
Wilson looks decent.

Bean was fine, and I'm 100% for him getting every meaningful snap this year.

BUT - I didn't see him even getting to second reads.
Never even thought about it. One read and go. Which, with his speed is fine, but the offense needs to be more diverse if it's a one-read and go.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, I think in game one with not a lot in the playbook, his second read is tuck the ball and run.