Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by twocoach »

ChalkRocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 pm Yeah. I don't think the 12 is in a landscape where it can say "okay, these are the schools or prgms that we can add, that'll be home-runs"...

They'll have to be fwd-looking, and ask "what schools have a predictable potential to be resilient, robust partners at some point in [some time-frame]?"

UCF seems strong taken that way, as do UH and Cincy. Within reasonably short time-frames, I mean

What I know abt BYU is what I've read in this thread, mostly
The Big 12 just has to stay alive until their rights expire in 2025 so that the rest of the schools can look at their options without a looming exit fee over their head. This move does that. Split the exit fees of Oklahoma and Texas among the schools, keep cashing fat checks for a couple more years and then push to jump to a more stable environment for the 2025-2026 seasons.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Stable is relative. I can see bigger conferences ejecting schools.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:18 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 am
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:05 pm Seriously though, f*ck OU and Texas (and Fizzou, A&M, Colorado, & Nebraska).
Why though? They did what was best for them. We'd gladly change places with any of them. And on the daily we are suggesting leaving the big12 to do the same thing they did, abandon the remaining conference members.

If someone has a chance to go to the SEC or Big10 it is awfully hard to find fault in them for upgrading to a better conference.

Big12 will get 4 new teams. And the big12 will still be the 4th or 5th best conference yearly. We lose a little money without OU and Texas, but oh well. Something tells me that we will still be making plenty of money.
In retrospect, they were where they needed to be before they got greedy. They have lost traditional rivals which is most of the point of college athletics. And they are irrelevant largely. They used to represent a region and occasionally dominate. Whatever they did, it isn't working very well. I could see KU dominate any bb conference, but other than Nebraska's ladies volleyball, not sure the fast money was worth it. They have nice facilities. To what end?
We could argue all day on money versus relevance. Money wins initially. I just see a bunch of lifeless satellites orbiting Alabama and tOSU.
Honestly, they are no different than they were in the Big 12, when they were lifeless satellites orbiting Texas/Oklahoma in football and Kansas in basketball. They just have more money. So that's a net gain for all of those schools. None of them have dominated anything since Nebraska was good at football 25+ years ago.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 am Kind of like an ex-spouse that left the kids and happy home for the country club set. Seemed nice at first, but increasingly lonely and unsatisfying. Then comes the drunken backhands and never quite fitting in.
They aren't leaving any "kids" behind. They found a new spouse that treats them better (more money) than their old spouse.

But you're right, they won't ever quite fit in with the Bamas and Georgias etc. But they will wipe their tears with all the extra money they have i am sure.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:54 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:13 pm Yeah. I don't think the 12 is in a landscape where it can say "okay, these are the schools or prgms that we can add, that'll be home-runs"...

They'll have to be fwd-looking, and ask "what schools have a predictable potential to be resilient, robust partners at some point in [some time-frame]?"

UCF seems strong taken that way, as do UH and Cincy. Within reasonably short time-frames, I mean

The Big 12 just has to stay alive until their rights expire in 2025 so that the rest of the schools can look at their options without a looming exit fee over their head. This move does that. Split the exit fees of Oklahoma and Texas among the schools, keep cashing fat checks for a couple more years and then push to jump to a more stable environment for the 2025-2026 seasons.
I guess I'm suggesting that, w/ the right kind of success (an "if"), the addition of the schools can itself lend the stability we're seeking. A snapshot of where these schools are now isn't a crystal ball for where they may be later.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ChalkRocker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:05 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:54 am

I guess I'm suggesting that, w/ the right kind of success (an "if"), the addition of the schools can itself lend the stability we're seeking. A snapshot of where these schools are now isn't a crystal ball for where they may be later.
We just have to make it 4 years. None of these schools are suddenly going to develop into programs that a tv network is going to pay millions more to broadcast. I expect that the Big 12 schools will be shopping for better deals. But if it turns out that all the Mormons in the world all start tuning in in record numbers to see their BYU program play the better teams of the Big 12 then I will be thrilled. Win-win.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KANSAS
ksu
isu
wvu
cincy
byu

osu
tcu
ttu
baylor
ucf
uh

i love that BIG 12.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thats a lot of travel for the north division
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I do too, Mich. Less tribulation and some fun games that don't require a guantlet run exhausting the winner. I can see OSU having a lot more success than OU and eclipsing them
Deleted User 863

So then we have 4 years to really turn our football program around. Because aside from hopeful internet speculation, it seems the big10 is not all that interested in expanding to include KU. If it's not the big10 then I'd rather build the big12 with some new additions. Moving to the PAC doesn't seem that appealing to me.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am So then we have 4 years to really turn our football program around.
i wouldn't hold your breath.

BIG 12!
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:26 am thats a lot of travel for the north division
Adding BYU and UCF means adding a lot of travel regardless of where they're placed. Geographically, neither is a good fit, but we need the eyeballs/$$$ so...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko is right that there were some very shortsighted decisions made. How do you quantify if OU/UT made the "best" decision for them? Yes, more money and exposure, but there are endless examples of why making decisions on money ends up being shortsighted, and even wrong.

But sorry Spark, this absolutely hurts the remaining members of the Big 12, and, no, there's no f-ing way OSU is going to eclipse OU.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’ll be hilarious if this move actually decreases the likelihood that either school is in the playoff...presuming the expansion to 12 actually happens
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 amBecause aside from hopeful internet speculation, it seems the big10 is not all that interested in expanding to include KU.
You're also speculating. It's basically the fallacy of having to prove a negative.

Great for clicks, though.
Deleted User 89

was anyone predicting ou/ut to the SEC before it actually happened?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:59 am was anyone predicting ou/ut to the SEC before it actually happened?
No. And the day before it was announced, you could say that the SEC was not interested in expanding based on the available information.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:59 am was anyone predicting ou/ut to the SEC before it actually happened?
No. And the day before it was announced, you could say that the SEC was not interested in expanding based on the available information.
that’s what i thought
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 am

We just have to make it 4 years. None of these schools are suddenly going to develop into programs that a tv network is going to pay millions more to broadcast. I expect that the Big 12 schools will be shopping for better deals. But if it turns out that all the Mormons in the world all start tuning in in record numbers to see their BYU program play the better teams of the Big 12 then I will be thrilled. Win-win.
I understand your premise, but you don't know this. UCF taking a spot in the playoffs and doing well would do wonders for their network appeal. Same is true for any of the others.

Granted, it's speculative, but that was my larger point to begin with. The addition of new schools will not, in the CFB world as it is, be a matter of choosing a "superstar" prgm and working them into the fold. There're none to be had. It seems to require a good deal of speculation.

I never suggested that stability would come simply because a Mormons-watching-teevee demographic is added to the conference audience.

Who the fu** knows, anyway? We're all just bystanders...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 863

The main difference is the big10 (and PAC iirc) has people publicly saying they're not expanding (not to mention the publicly announced "alliance" with ACC and PAC). The SEC just did a good job at keeping everything quiet.

The big10 is weird. They're far too arrogant to let the SEC influence what moves they make in this instance. And adding KU does absolutely nothing positive football wise for them (which is what this is all about). There is no texas or OU for the big 10 to add.