Kansas Football 2021 Season

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 863

Re: Kansas Football 2021 Season

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:53 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:36 pm Insanely bad play calling. I am frankly pissed at Leipold.
What do you call when your offensive line can't block or open a hole?
We need this kid...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CT8z95Fl ... =copy_link
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 pm So are we allowed to be upset with the outcome yet or no?
Definitely disappointed in outcome. Happy for the first half. Mad at 2nd half.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I have been traveling all day. I’ve seen the score, but I would like some Cliffs. I loved the Saban/Weiss comment.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I only watched the first half.
It was boring unoriginal conservative play to not loose by a lot football with throws to the flats for zero yards, runs up the center on third and four or Bean scrambling. We had a fumble return to get close to Baylor territory but then snapped it for negative 28 yards. And then on third and 30 didn't try anything at all really.

That said, I left watching the game thinking we had a chance to cover because of our decently impressive drive to end the half.

Someone else will have to detail the meltdown.
Deleted User 863

I do not understand the overly conservative play calling. I understand not calling unrealistic plays that our skillset can't support, but it didn't feel like that on several occasions. It just felt like scared (or dumb) play calls.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Our O-Line sucks. I'm sure that's part of it. You can't do anything that takes a while to develop.

But we seem to have a QB. Bean can make plays, if you turn him loose and he has a good game, that's a recipe for a potential upset. I'm just worried he's gonna get killed (bad O-line), leave, or graduate before we get any talent around him. Neal will be good, I hope.

Every coach since Mangino has done this conservative play calling bullshit.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get it when you're within a score or two. Keep it within reach and hope for the opposing team to fuck up rather than you giving them the chance to take a advantage of your fuck ups.

I guess we dont have confidence in our line, qb and receivers to give the QB a moment in the pocket to complete a 8 yard pass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was also hoping we would show better at home v Baylor.

The other potential miracles are Duke, ksu and Tech but Duke is 2-1, ksu took care of Nevada and Tech may score 60 today.

We may not score 60 in four games.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Would you rather:
A. A 3 point win v Duke in football next game but a 10 point loss v UK in BB
Or
B. A 30 point loss v Duke in football but a 10 point win v UK
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

A

Also, today was a step back for this program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 863

B
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A

I’m torn on the season.
On one hand, Kansas and Leipold seem set on establishing what they want to do with the offense regardless if it’s successful this year or not. They’re running a lot of the same plays they’ve ran for the last 9+ years together.

On the other hand, it’s not working for this years team. And it comes off as conservative in nature, when in reality over the last few years, it’s been looked at as an efficient offense.

Do you sacrifice long term gain for short term benefits? Not sure either way, but it seems staff is set on the long term play and not the 2021 play.

Still an extremely frustrating day. Mostly disappointed in the defense. They got worse in the 2nd half and it was just guys missing easy tackles or missing gap assignments.

Just tough year. However, I do still think one win is there, somewhere….
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You felt pretty good going into halftime and then the 2nd, for the first time all year it looked like the team quit especially on defense. That looked like the teams of the last decade.

Duke, is the only realistic W left. Maybe Tech but they will still be at least two score dawgs.

This team just has to keep getting better and trying to put together 60 minute games.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Duke line has to be around the Baylor line tho.

I'd say Duke -14 moving to -18.5 or so.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

No way this KU team beats Duke in Durham.

Here's the thing, in general, Leipold might be the right guy, but the talent is not there, especially not after all the transfers, and no one will have the patience for Leipold and his coaching staff to "coach up" players over the next 3-4 years. The only way this works is if Leipold's staff hits on several underrated recruits who all contribute fairly quickly after they hit campus...and it has to happen within the next 2 years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Our last 3 recruiting classes were ranked 56, 70, and 60.

We should at least LOOK like a power5 school.

But in all 3 games, one against an fcs team and two non P5 teams, we've looked like the jv squad scrimmage the varsity. And that's just on eyeball test. And it's not like we make up for it with speed.

I guess the transfers that everyone downplayed were a problem. Or we got every dud recruit for 3 straight years.

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

This year's defense is all-around bad so far, I would imagine it would be better with Karon Prunty, Marcus Harris, & Da'Jon Terry (not to mention Dru Prox, Elijah Jones, Co Harris, & a few others).

Leipold is a good coach and we'll see how things go next year, but KU needs a Matt Campbell-type to pull them out of this shit.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Liepold is a good coach.

I think the big question is how can he recruit now that he's at a power 5 school.

Also, jury is still out on S&C coach, we look small and slow. Do we need more calories on the training table...our O- and D-lines should at least have Big Strong guys on them even if not talented.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:20 pm Our last 3 recruiting classes were ranked 56, 70, and 60.

No good hosses in those classes. Except Dajon Terry, which.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:20 pm Our last 3 recruiting classes were ranked 56, 70, and 60.

No good hosses in those classes. Except Dajon Terry, which.
But even when I look at our secondary guys, and skill position players, they just look more like HS players than big time college football guys.

For example, Devin Neal looks like he belongs, Velton Gardner doesn't. Now, I say that knowing damn well you can't always judge a book by its cover and there is a long list of guys who were not impressive physically but were great players...but when you have a roster full of guys that don't pass the eye test, it's hard to believe they're ALL the Walter Paytons and Barry Sanders, and Mark Kelsos of the world.

I dunno, I guess I feel the same way about someone like DaJuan Harris where it's like, yeah, maybe you'll do fine, until you have to go up against someone who just has the physical tools that are too much for you.