Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:07 pm if the big 10 is smart, their top target will be cincy.
With Pac-12 and ACC teams off the table, they would be looking to add one eastern team to put in a pod with Penn State and one midwestern team to keep the likes of Iowa and Nebraska happy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A pod of Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota would be cool.

Maybe Pitt likes the ACC a lot, but I think they fit so much better with B1G. Obvious rival with Penn State, close to Columbus, Ohio and not a bad day trip to go to like Ann Arbor.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pitt's a good school. Makes much more sense than Cincinnati.

KU is easily the most obvious west school. Wonder how realistic reaching out to mizzou would be.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Pitt is great fit for the Big Ten, but likely not a candidate at this time because they wouldn't take an ACC school or a Pac-12 school. I guess that's part of being in "The Alliance".
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Put WV and Cincy in ACC and someone else. Put KU and Pitt in Big Ten. Or put KU and WV in Big Ten. Just helping with options.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

What worries me is we have been talking about ISU + KU to be teams 15/16 in the B1G, but if they decide on only one midwest team and one eastern team then it becomes *either* KU or ISU. Not predicting which of the two would get the invite but sure adds to the uncertainty.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Not just the B1G, but wouldn't this also drive the ACC and PAC to follow suit as well and end up with four 16 team super conferences? It seems like that would be the likely landing spot if the SEC pulls the trigger.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HenrySwanson wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:22 am What worries me is we have been talking about ISU + KU to be teams 15/16 in the B1G, but if they decide on only one midwest team and one eastern team then it becomes *either* KU or ISU. Not predicting which of the two would get the invite but sure adds to the uncertainty.
Is there an assumption on who teams 13 and 14 are that I have not seen?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They have 14 teams...?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:11 pm They have 14 teams...?
Jeebus, I am completely out of it.

Kick Rutgers out.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if Pitt goes B1G, i have a hard time believing KU would get picked over isu
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:46 pm if Pitt goes B1G, i have a hard time believing KU would get picked over isu
Any specific reason Trad?

I personally think KU is much better top to bottom when you consider EVERYTHING. The alumni bases, greater success at their particular sport, 2 B1G schools in Iowa would be an absolute disaster.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:06 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:46 pm if Pitt goes B1G, i have a hard time believing KU would get picked over isu

I personally think KU is much better top to bottom when you consider EVERYTHING. The alumni bases, greater success at their particular sport, 2 B1G schools in Iowa would be an absolute disaster.
Agree. Much bigger brand and market. KU can add wrestling or swimming/diving in a heartbeat and be at 8-9 men's sports. ISU would need to add baseball, which is a lot tougher.

I don't think ISU has anything on KU except very current football stability.
Deleted User 89

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:06 pm

football and iowa

both are AAU (obviously), but isu has the better success on the gridiron

oddly, despite iowa and isu fighting over tv eyes and markets, i think their annual matchups outweigh whatever negatives might be perceived by having both schools in the same conference. the conventional wisdom that iowa doesn’t want to share with isu is out the door, or at least it seems that way to me

i’d like to think that the KU brand would be a bigger selling point, but i’m not so sure. if the B1G is only looking at one midwest program, i think the playing field becomes much more even between KU and isu

just my feeling though
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That's just a lot of words to say that ISU currently has better football and nothing else. KU is a bigger (and new) market, bigger brand, and more athletic revenue despite bad football.

Not that KU moves the needle a ton for the B1G, but ISU doesn't move it at all.
Deleted User 89

not at all?

they move the needle as much as KU, imo. the rumor mill for isu to B1G is just as healthy as it is for KU, which is really all any of us have to go on

i’d like to agree with you guys and value KU so much higher. but if such was reality, would we really even be having this discussion?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:26 pm That's just a lot of words to say that ISU currently has better football and nothing else. KU is a bigger (and new) market, bigger brand, and more athletic revenue despite bad football.

I think this is the entire gist of it all.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:30 pmnot at all?
This is about money. They don't add anything to the B1G in that regard.

If Iowa weren't part of the picture, different story.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:26 pm That's just a lot of words to say that ISU currently has better football and nothing else. KU is a bigger (and new) market, bigger brand, and more athletic revenue despite bad football.

I think this is the entire gist of it all.
ISU makes sense for B1G compared to most of the Big 12 leftovers--I think that is where a lot of the rumors come from. They are also obvious rivalry/geography partners with Iowa.

I'd have to figure, though, that a conference in as good as shape as B1G needs something like $20-$50mil in new revenue for an addition to make mathematical sense, and I just don't see how Iowa State gets you there with their low athletic revenue and overlap of assets with Iowa.

In that regard, even Colorado or Oklahoma State make a lot of sense over ISU.