Officiating

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Officiating

Post by ousdahl »

I know I already roiboi’d this thread, but yeah, the officials sucked tonight. I don’t mean that in a blame them for loosing kinda way, but in a refs legit had no poise kinda way.

They got themselves all excited and tried to inject themselves in the game, then not, then hey again, then wut, then huh, then man it was like rhey didn’t even know they were in charge of officiating the game any more.

I only caught the second half, but early in the second half I noticed the only call/non-call that really struck me as egregious:

ASU guy flops to try and sell a charge on Dedrick, good no call, then reasonable call after that gets Dedrick free throws. But that wasn’t the egregious part.

The egregious part was after that, then the ASU guy ran down the court screaming at the ref. It just seemed like such a textbook example of how to get T’d up.

Yet the ref, in a classic example of rowdy-home-court-ref-incompetence, intentionally kept looking away from the screaming ASU guy.

In hindsight, I blame the ASU guy for not getting more screaming while he could.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Abd re: the good loss argument, all I’ll point out is our first loss happens to be a close one on the road against a top 18 team over Christmas break. It could be a lot worse.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's our 2nd to last game before conference play.
I'm fine with it.
I think it's a harmless loss especially considering how things were dealt.

I imagine Self just has a sly smirk on most of the flight home.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah this game has always been kinda tough on us. Roadie right before Christmas, ew.

But at least we competed and were in it til the end, instead of shartting out a historically bad Self loss like those Perry Ellis teams did.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I bet Self is pretty pissed the entire flight home....but harmless loss for sure.

1 seed is locked up.

Is it March yet? Going to be a boring conference season with no drama. We will probably will the league by 3 or 4 games.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean I’m sure Self is pissed, but if there was ever a game to fly home with a sly smirk it’s this.

And if tonight showed us anything, it’s that conference is prob not gonna be as boring as we hope. Half the donuts I mean games are on the road!
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:53 pm I bet Self is pretty pissed the entire flight home....but harmless loss for sure.

1 seed is locked up.

Is it March yet? Going to be a boring conference season with no drama. We will probably will the league by 3 or 4 games.
I disagree with everything in this post.

1) Self knows this is a young team and will likely console the team
2) There absolutely will be drama in conference season. We always have one of those Okie State games (wherever it be).
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Regardless of this game, we still aren't playing great basketball yet.
I haven't seen a full great half really - yet we've beaten some top teams.
And some of the way we've played, we deserved this L - we've been 'bailed out' ( and it's odd to say bailed out when you're talking about great plays by players on your team ) against teams we shouldn't struggle against.

We're better than Arizona State, probably 9/10 games, and tonight was actually still one of them imo.
But it's time to wake up and realize if you can't put plays together in the end, you'll loose.
Deleted User 75

thekid6 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:53 pm I bet Self is pretty pissed the entire flight home....but harmless loss for sure.

1 seed is locked up.

I disagree with everything in this post.

1) Self knows this is a young team and will likely console the team
2) There absolutely will be drama in conference season. We always have one of those Okie State games (wherever it be).
Even with our annual okie state type game no show we should still only lose 1 or 2 conference games imo.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Self is putting on a face to his team.
Stern, upset, but still not full rage because he knows they are still learning ( and he got jobbed - did you see him after the game was over, he was still chatting side by side with the official ).

He's not really angry.
He knows we coulda won. He knows Udoka is coming back soon. And he has something 'painful' or 'i told you so' now to work with.
We're 10-1 with the 2nd strongest SOS.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:58 pm Regardless of this game, we still aren't playing great basketball yet.
And some of the way we've played, we deserved this L - we've been 'bailed out' ( and it's odd to say bailed out when you're talking about great plays by players on your team ) against teams we shouldn't struggle against.

We're better than Arizona State, probably 9/10 games, and tonight was actually still one of them imo.
But it's time to wake up and realize if you can't put plays together in the end, you'll loose.
For sure.

Like you said harmless loss. And while I don't subscribe to the "good loss" style of thinking, this is a team that has shown a lack of focus at times, so a loss might be a good reset instead of them thinking they're unbeatable because we've snuck out some close wins against good teams..

I'm not worried about this team.
Deleted User 75

Why no replay on the backcourt?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:01 pm I think Self is putting on a face to his team.
Stern, upset, but still not full rage because he knows they are still learning ( and he got jobbed - did you see him after the game was over, he was still chatting side by side with the official ).

He's not really angry.
He knows we coulda won. He knows Udoka is coming back soon. And he has something 'painful' or 'i told you so' now to work with.
We're 10-1 with the 2nd strongest SOS.
Chatting?

Yeah I’ll give him credit for at least being civil considering his face was even more crimson than a Kansas message board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, maybe not chatting.
Critiquing?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm Final four and a half:

Garrett fouled into a travel.
Grimes hacked on a three pointer.
Lawson hacked and not called.
Vick called for an offensive foul.

There was another hilarious call in the end I'm not recalling.
Oh, yea, the over the back call where Dotson wasn't the last one to touch it.
That's the one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Here's the replays on Sportscenter.
Let's see what they show.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They show the 'backcourt violation' that was touched last by an ASU player.
And nothing else.

"That was one of the great sports moments of my life."
Hurley.

LOL.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:58 pm Regardless of this game, we still aren't playing great basketball yet.

This team had top-ranked-itis.

We were top dog, and seemed to get used to winning just cuz. We expected to win, but never expected to just fucking dominate bitches.

We’ve put plenty of plays together at the end, but tonight, we just happened to not.

Now that we got that much outta the way, I want this team to realize that you don’t have to put plays together at the end if you’re already up so big the walkons are playing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm They show the 'backcourt violation' that was touched last by an ASU player.
And nothing else.

"That was one of the great sports moments of my life."
Hurley.

LOL.
For fuck’s sake, it seems like the espn dukie knob slob is all time high
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:16 pm

This team had top-ranked-itis.

We were top dog, and seemed to get used to winning just cuz. We expected to win, but never expected to just fucking dominate bitches.

We’ve put plenty of plays together at the end, but tonight, we just happened to not.

Now that we got that much outta the way, I want this team to realize that you don’t have to put plays together at the end if you’re already up so big the walkons are playing.
Same general idea but even bigger point you and others have said:

We still have yet to put together a complete half, let alone a half complete game.