Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
KU76erfan

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by KU76erfan »

More excited for season 2 of Alice in Borderland.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Succession season 3.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Pretty good spoof of Squid Games on SNL this week.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait so Netflix employee walkout cuz of Dave Chapelles new act
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So yer sayin' I better watch it quicklike.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 am wait so Netflix employee walkout cuz of Dave Chapelles new act
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/20/10473072 ... zer-speaks
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this constant outrage thing thats been going on is ridiculous
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It is confusing when people want to be referred to as 'they'.
While I think it's silly overall, i'd prefer, when specifically talking about an individual, the newer 'ze' pronoun because now I know we are speaking about one person and not multiple.

In the case above, there was an employee fired, but he/she/ze is referred to as they, and I wasn't sure ( and still am not ) whether more than one Netflix employee was fired or not.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 am this constant outrage thing thats been going on is ridiculous
too many have forgotten that what Chappelle is doing is an art form, and as with any art form, some will appreciate/enjoy it and some will not
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:35 am
TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 am this constant outrage thing thats been going on is ridiculous
too many have forgotten that what Chappelle is doing is an art form, and as with any art form, some will appreciate/enjoy it and some will not
this is true. Perhaps I am insensitive, or numb, or just raised in a different time....but the things people continually get offended by (and offended by enough to make a huge display of it) is crazy to me.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:38 am
this is true. Perhaps I am insensitive, or numb, or just raised in a different time....but the things people continually get offended by (and offended by enough to make a huge display of it) is crazy to me.
i listen to quite a bit of stand-up, and Chappelle’s stuff isn’t anywhere close to the most offensive stuff being thrown around

people need to be able to laugh at themselves
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am
i listen to quite a bit of stand-up, and Chappelle’s stuff isn’t anywhere close to the most offensive stuff being thrown around
correct. I love Ron White. He can be very offensive...not too mention people like Andrew Dice Clay...who...is too much for me
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am

correct. I love Ron White. He can be very offensive...not too mention people like Andrew Dice Clay...who...is too much for me
you should give Andy Andrist a listen
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You have the right to bitch about something that offends you.
You even have the right to ask for it to be taken down if it offends you.
But that doesn't make you correct in doing so.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am definitely in the camp that believes comedy should have little to no room for PC culture. The market will decide if it's too offensive, b/c overly offensive is not funny. And Chappelle is my favorite standup by many miles.

But, I watched this special a few days ago and a few things stood out: it was not his best work by any means and really just seemed to be his "F You" or conversation with the trans community--it was all just so direct and narrowly focused. He gets a much bigger pass from me if it was comedy. A lot of it wasn't, but he also made several good points.

If he is truly wanting to have that conversation, and I'm not sure he does, then he basically did it in front of 10,000 people that he knew would applaud at every word. That's an easy audience. He also pulled the whole "It's fine, I have a trans friend" which pisses minorities off when white people pull that shit on race. Overall, it was not his best work, but not sure it warrants a walk out. Chappelle said at the outset it would be his last standup for awhile and I wonder what is really at the heart of that decision.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 am
I am definitely in the camp that believes comedy should have little to no room for PC culture. The market will decide if it's too offensive, b/c overly offensive is not funny. And Chappelle is my favorite standup by many miles.

But, I watched this special a few days ago and a few things stood out: it was not his best work by any means and really just seemed to be his "F You" or conversation with the trans community--it was all just so direct and narrowly focused. He gets a much bigger pass from me if it was comedy. A lot of it wasn't, but he also made several good points.

If he is truly wanting to have that conversation, and I'm not sure he does, then he basically did it in front of 10,000 people that he knew would applaud at every word. That's an easy audience. He also pulled the whole "It's fine, I have a trans friend" which pisses minorities off when white people pull that shit on race. Overall, it was not his best work, but not sure it warrants a walk out. Chappelle said at the outset it would be his last standup for awhile and I wonder what is really at the heart of that decision.
i completely agree

it was an “odd” special, to say the least
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 am

I agree with your first paragraph.

I'm a pretty big Chappelle fan, but haven't watched his latest special yet.

The main reason, is this makes (at least) 3 specials in a row that apparently focus on cancel culture and his clash with the trans community.

He can say whatever he wants and as a comedian I want him to push boundaries, but damn, as a fan I'm bored with hearing his take on this topic.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:52 amThe main reason, is this makes (at least) 3 specials in a row that apparently focus on cancel culture and his clash with the trans community.

He can say whatever he wants and as a comedian I want him to push boundaries, but damn, as a fan I'm bored with hearing his take on this topic.
These are interesting observations that I haven't really considered.

IMO, I think he is just still so pissed off about the Kevin Hart Oscar fallout--which is a great example of cancel culture going way too far--but it seems that maybe Kevin has moved on better than Chappelle.
Deleted User 89

KH seems to be doing just fine, as evidenced by all the damn commercials he is headlining
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm not familiar with what Kevin Hart did.....but in general he seems like an overrated, over-hyped hack
Just Ledoux it