Quentin Grimes

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Quentin Grimes

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:45 pm Could be a bad system fit. So far I'd think he'd look a little better in Calipari's dribble drive.

Bill's off-guard has always needed to be able to shoot: Chalmers, Sherron, Reed, Graham.

When Selby wasn't making jump shots, he became worthless. Selden never fit in here at the 2.
Is the answer - as much of a crutch as it would be - that Grimes needs to see a lot of clock at the 4, with Dedric at the 5?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You'd still have three non-shooters on the perimeter though, right? Unless you mean Grimes being a 4 on offense, which I can't see.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Vick at the 3. Need defense/rebounds w/ that lineup so have to play Garrett.

Probably won't happen. I can foresee, though, Grimes coming off the bench when Udoka gets back and we go to a mostly 2 big man lineup for whole game.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’ve thought a number of times that some iso with Grimes in the post might work...not real regularly, mind you, but situationally
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:27 pm I'm surprised that the things on his scouting report haven't really been evident, even ones that aren't necessarily basketball specific,.

He is supposed to be an explosive athlete and we haven't seen that. His size is great under the assumption that he's a 1/2...seeing that he's more of a 2/3, his size seems to only be adequate at the next level.

And in terms of basketball specific things, he was touted as a great on ball defender, and the nicest thing I can say about his on-ball defense is that it isn't as bad as off the ball. He was supposed to be great at pick and roll, and creating offense, and maybe that's on Self that he hasn't gotten to do those things.

He's shown great vision/passing here and there...and his one weakness was supposed to be perimeter shooting...and he went off against MSU. So...there's a big part of me that thinks all the scouts were just off in their assessment of Grimes.
I feel that Grimes has been at his best attacking the rim. Couple drives late against ASU, and the stretch against Wofford where people thought it clicked for him and he finally figured it out. Outside of hot shooting against MSU, driving the basketball is his most effective attribute.

I don't think the fact he went off against MSU is a very good reason to say the scouts were off in their assessment. The 10 games after that he is 5-28 from 3. Unless you're saying the scouts were off by saying he's not a great shooter when they should have said he's a terrible shooter?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:44 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:27 pm I'm surprised that the things on his scouting report haven't really been evident, even ones that aren't necessarily basketball specific,.

He is supposed to be an explosive athlete and we haven't seen that. His size is great under the assumption that he's a 1/2...seeing that he's more of a 2/3, his size seems to only be adequate at the next level.

And in terms of basketball specific things, he was touted as a great on ball defender, and the nicest thing I can say about his on-ball defense is that it isn't as bad as off the ball. He was supposed to be great at pick and roll, and creating offense, and maybe that's on Self that he hasn't gotten to do those things.

He's shown great vision/passing here and there...and his one weakness was supposed to be perimeter shooting...and he went off against MSU. So...there's a big part of me that thinks all the scouts were just off in their assessment of Grimes.
I feel that Grimes has been at his best attacking the rim. Couple drives late against ASU, and the stretch against Wofford where people thought it clicked for him and he finally figured it out. Outside of hot shooting against MSU, driving the basketball is his most effective attribute.

I don't think the fact he went off against MSU is a very good reason to say the scouts were off in their assessment. The 10 games after that he is 5-28 from 3. Unless you're saying the scouts were off by saying he's not a great shooter when they should have said he's a terrible shooter?
I'm saying the scouts were off because of everything I posted.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

But, like you eluded to, all of the reports and assumptions were based on him being a 1/2 guard more than the 2/3 guard he is playing on this team. It's tough to say they are off when we have yet to really see him play the position he was scouted as.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We’re on the front end of winter break.

Bet he looks different after playing with the guys every day for the next 3 weeks.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I will admit, I've been quite disappointed with Grimes so far. I, along with I assume are many other fans and experts, thought one McDonald's AA would come in and hit the ground running, while the other would take a few weeks/months to get adapt. While that has turned out to be true, it's just who came in ready and who hasn't adapted yet that was wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am not disappointed; just bummed for him. He's trying to figure it out. Quinerley at Nova and Little at Carolina are also going through the same issues so he isn't alone and KU/Self doesn't look "bad" for it. College hoops is hard even when you're supposed to be some hot shit HS recruit.

Self undoubtedly told him in recruiting that his ranking won't earn him a single bucket or minute of play and he is just being proven right. It may take him 3 weeks or 3 years how to play at the next level, who knows.

I hope we get to see him break through. No doubt he is working his ass off trying.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

He could be a really good player eventually. It sucks that nowadays if you are a top 10 prospect you feel compelled to go pro after one season. A lot of top 10 guys have had great careers without being one-and-done
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 pm I am not disappointed; just bummed for him. He's trying to figure it out. Quinerley at Nova and Little at Carolina are also going through the same issues so he isn't alone and KU/Self doesn't look "bad" for it. College hoops is hard even when you're supposed to be some hot shit HS recruit.

Self undoubtedly told him in recruiting that his ranking won't earn him a single bucket or minute of play and he is just being proven right. It may take him 3 weeks or 3 years how to play at the next level, who knows.

I hope we get to see him break through. No doubt he is working his ass off trying.
The thing the disappoints me is that if he misses a few shots, he loses his mindset to be aggressive. Then just spends the rest of the game kind of floating around the perimeter and taking the occasional jumpshot. It also seems like he makes his mind up for what he will do 2-3 passes before he even gets the ball. He'll catch and shoot when guys are right on him, but not when he is open.

You can tell to start games and 2nd halves that Self is trying to force the issue and make him be aggressive, driving the ball, looking to score, etc. Just that he misses 1 or 2 shots and his confidence in back down to zero.

I guess that's the down side of playing one of the hardest schedules year in and year out. You don't get many chances for "confidence games" against directional schools. Not to mention the effects if you play poorly in one of those games.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 pm I am not disappointed; just bummed for him. He's trying to figure it out. Quinerley at Nova and Little at Carolina are also going through the same issues so he isn't alone and KU/Self doesn't look "bad" for it. College hoops is hard even when you're supposed to be some hot shit HS recruit.

The thing the disappoints me is that if he misses a few shots, he loses his mindset to be aggressive. Then just spends the rest of the game kind of floating around the perimeter and taking the occasional jumpshot. It also seems like he makes his mind up for what he will do 2-3 passes before he even gets the ball. He'll catch and shoot when guys are right on him, but not when he is open.

You can tell to start games and 2nd halves that Self is trying to force the issue and make him be aggressive, driving the ball, looking to score, etc. Just that he misses 1 or 2 shots and his confidence in back down to zero.

I guess that's the down side of playing one of the hardest schedules year in and year out. You don't get many chances for "confidence games" against directional schools. Not to mention the effects if you play poorly in one of those games.
We have also seen this script enough to know, for certain, that there's something about the stuff we run that makes it very hard for a small wing to contribute offensively if he's not a deadeye shooter. We've had problem after problem unlocking guys at that position.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I’d like it sooner than later, for his sake, but I got no problem waiting for MOP em up minutes.

I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Did anyone else feel like there was a light bulb that turned on in Grimes's head at some point last night that said: "Hey, you're stronger than every person that guards you?"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, the play where he dove on the floor to get the loose ball in the second half, was by far his biggest hustle play thus far.

But to your point. I wonder if the fact that he'd played against Bienemy in HS is when he realized that he could outmuscle people. Like, he thought he couldn't do that at this level, but then he was like, I did that to this guy in HS, I can do it in college too.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There was a play last night where he knew the guy guarding him had no chance so he posted him and got fouled.
Liked it.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am There was a play last night where he knew the guy guarding him had no chance so he posted him and got fouled.
Liked it.
me too

would like to see more of this
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

If Grimes and Dotson get 100% dialed in, Holy Smokes!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 am Also, the play where he dove on the floor to get the loose ball in the second half, was by far his biggest hustle play thus far.