Lance Leipold is a God Damn Gangster.

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Lance Leipold is a God Damn Gangster.

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah Goff is fucking legit. He just plain gets it. He hired Leipold. He's keeping Self happy as Self said great things about him on a recent podcast interview with Simien.

He'll have some big decisions with non-revenue sports like soccer and all that and then Memorial renovation and conference realignment. But he truly just seems to get it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I believe Goff hiring Leipold is going to go down as a great move and after what I read this morning, he should be praised even more for the timing of it. He could have played the year out with an interim head coach and hired someone in the traditional window. But Brett McMurphy this morning said he expects more than 25 coaching changes to happen this offseason. We wouldn't have landed Leipold if we waited. He'd have won another 10 games at Buffalo and would have been in the running for a lot of jobs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:26 pm I believe Goff hiring Leipold is going to go down as a great move and after what I read this morning, he should be praised even more for the timing of it. He could have played the year out with an interim head coach and hired someone in the traditional window. But Brett McMurphy this morning said he expects more than 25 coaching changes to happen this offseason. We wouldn't have landed Leipold if we waited. He'd have won another 10 games at Buffalo and would have been in the running for a lot of jobs.
I said that when Leipold was hired. If you want him, you have to go get him now. And that's what they did. There's so many more openings that will happen, but he seemed like such a Virginia Tech type of hire. But we have him here at Kansas and he's just getting started.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

hartjack8 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 am Sunshine Jack: a red shirt is a red shirt. I don't see a kid staying Morningstar numbers of years in KU football. The other fact is if you recruit a great QB, he will play. Best to go with your best this season. Two beatable teams.
My man!!

A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. There are two redshirts and a blue shirt and a grey shirt hell even a green shirt in football,

Besides that you are 100% correct.
Those are called red sleeves.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The most under the radar hire for the KU staff was ALIGO.

Scott ALIGO is the Director of Scouting for KU.

We didn't get ALIGO from Buffalo he came from MSU. Tucker and ALIGO blew up the roster and had 30 players hit the transfer portal and replaced them with 15 new players from the portal. When I made the comment about Fat Boy Charlie only taking 5 HS kids was because he was lazy and fat. Now with ALIGO it just might be that to get ballers you go the portal not HS route. Going to have to wait and see but having only 5 commits may not end being a bad thing. It may end up being the plan.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I'm not against getting proven players from the portal. I do think you need some balance and build those bridges with the HS coaches, particularly in state. You can't continue to let K-state get the best Kansas HS players.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

That kid from NW Kansas catching that conversion means A LOT.

The kids are there. Liberal, Ulysses, Goddard, Great Bend, Hutch, Wichita, Salina, Concordia, Belleville, Atchison, Topeka, Pittsburg, Fort Scott, Wyandotte County, Johnson County, Colby, and Goodland.

Then go to Rockhurst.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The western Kansas kids can play man. Big farm boys.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Those Dakota OL groups certainly reinforce that thinking. They outwieghed KU by hundreds of pounds. Strong as buffalo too.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

ESPN has a story up this morning about some of the top players in the transfer portal that mentions KU as interested in a couple of linebackers, including being in the final 2 for one of them. It also mentions Karon Prunty as one of the top DBs available, going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

Eriq Gilyard
Senior
2021 team: UCF

Gilyard's background: Gilyard had played a big role in UCF's defense in the past with 59 tackles and 8.5 tackles for loss in 2020. He then saw his role move to a rotation with other linebackers on the team, and although he was still productive, he wasn't the only one playing. With two seasons of eligibility left, Gilyard has a ton of experience and should be able to help right away.

Where he could land: Gilyard has had quite a few teams reach out and he doesn't want to prolong the process. His top two schools right now are East Carolina and Kansas, and he will likely make a decision after the first week of December.

Marcus Bradley
Freshman
2021 team: Vanderbilt

Bradley's background: Bradley was the only ESPN 300 prospect in Vanderbilt's 2021 recruiting class. He is originally from Gaithersburg, Maryland, and originally committed to Maryland before decommitting and signing with Vanderbilt. At the time, he was also considering Ohio State, Tennessee and USC, among others.

Where he could land: Bradley hasn't narrowed his list down yet, but will have some options given his upside and remaining eligibility. So far, he has heard from Boston College, Kansas, Florida State, Pitt, Memphis and Ohio State. There will likely be more schools in touch as programs find out which players they're losing to the portal and the positions that become a need.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:29 am Those Dakota OL groups certainly reinforce that thinking. They outwieghed KU by hundreds of pounds. Strong as buffalo too.
KU will never get top linemen here. Go get a bunch of country boys who are still growing into their frame and bulk them up and let them do their work. Go get a ton of like 6'5 kids and let them eat nonstop for 3 years and then they can be great 2 year players as they are juniors and seniors.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leawood wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:10 pm That kid from NW Kansas catching that conversion means A LOT.

The kids are there. Liberal, Ulysses, Goddard, Great Bend, Hutch, Wichita, Salina, Concordia, Belleville, Atchison, Topeka, Pittsburg, Fort Scott, Wyandotte County, Johnson County, Colby, and Goodland.

Then go to Rockhurst.
I'm not that concerned about dominating Kansas. I'd rather just get a Devin Neal over 5 out of the top 10 Kansas recruits.

Certainly a transfer to Rockhurt, Miege, Aquinas helps but until the rules for KS HS football change, you have to evaluate if the juice is worth the squeeze. Declining state population, as well.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Kansas State cleans up Kansas but KU grabs the top player in Wichita, top player in the Sunflower League, and do really well at Rockhurst, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit--we clearly win.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I say look at the small schools and see where they are recruiting and dominate that pipeline if possible as well as the traditional spots. Cast a wider net. . .
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:46 am
Leawood wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:10 pm That kid from NW Kansas catching that conversion means A LOT.

Then go to Rockhurst.
I'm not that concerned about dominating Kansas. I'd rather just get a Devin Neal over 5 out of the top 10 Kansas recruits.

Certainly a transfer to Rockhurt, Miege, Aquinas helps but until the rules for KS HS football change, you have to evaluate if the juice is worth the squeeze. Declining state population, as well.
I'm not from Kansas and I have no meaningful experience with Kansas cities outside the KC metro (other than visiting friends' hometowns, things like that). I don't really care whether a kid is from Kansas, or not.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

Not sure where this goes, but this gives us a rebuttal to anyone from the purple pig farm telling the Kansas-raised kids that KU won't give them a shot or trust them in a critical situation. I think that was an impression that Miles and Weiss presented, that they were looking to build with studs from out of state. Good for in-state talent to see that you can come to KU, put in the work, and get your shot.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

HenrySwanson wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm Not sure where this goes, but this gives us a rebuttal to anyone from the purple pig farm telling the Kansas-raised kids that KU won't give them a shot or trust them in a critical situation. I think that was an impression that Miles and Weiss presented, that they were looking to build with studs from out of state. Good for in-state talent to see that you can come to KU, put in the work, and get your shot.
It goes here. Kansas kids matter.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:59 pm
HenrySwanson wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm Not sure where this goes, but this gives us a rebuttal to anyone from the purple pig farm telling the Kansas-raised kids that KU won't give them a shot or trust them in a critical situation. I think that was an impression that Miles and Weiss presented, that they were looking to build with studs from out of state. Good for in-state talent to see that you can come to KU, put in the work, and get your shot.
It goes here. Kansas kids matter.
I'm more of a position that KUFB is in no position to put their eggs in one basket.

I also don't agree that Miles ignored Kansas high schools. That's one thing they may have even spent too much time on.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Oh sure. But there is LITERALLY nothing stopping you from loading up on walk-on type of kids. I'm not talking about focusing solely on the top 10 kids in Kansas. But freaking load up on the smaller fast kids who can play special teams, or the big farm kids who just may turn into a 2nd string OG after entering a P5 eating and S&C program. That's what this program needs.

Kansas has never done that. This staff's forte is developing. Not necessarily getting top recruits. But they know how to work those kids into football players.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I will say previous staffs have either overlooked or just didn't care enough to go after the preferred walk on or walk on type local kids. That is an easy way to build up roster depth and truly develop talent.

That is why having your back end recruiting staff running at full strength and being efficient on how your staff is using their time is so critical.
Holidaysmore - 2005