Name brand or generic

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Name brand or generic

Post by TDub »

yea id take that!

also, which cordless circ saw you have? I have one od the 6-1/2" saws that runs off normal batteries....its under powered. I hate it, ita only good for short light duty cutting.

But, I also have the worm drive 7-1/4" saw that uses the flex volts 6AH and 9AH batteries.....that thing is awesome, runs like a champ, plenty of power for everything and runs a long time on a 9AH.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 am yea id take that!

also, which cordless circ saw you have? I have one od the 6-1/2" saws that runs off normal batteries....its under powered. I hate it, ita only good for short light duty cutting.

But, I also have the worm drive 7-1/4" saw that uses the flex volts 6AH and 9AH batteries.....that thing is awesome, runs like a champ, plenty of power for everything and runs a long time on a 9AH.
i think it’s the DW936, 20v

it does well enough when fully charged, but seems to loose juice pretty fast

the drill though has been worth it’s weight in gold

the multi-pack i originally purchased more than a decade ago had the circ saw, a reciprocating/chop saw, a drill, and a light…but i’ve since gotten an impact driver and grinder, all matchies lol
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

My shop tools are Powermatic, Jet, Hitachi, and Delta. Battery hand tools are mostly Milwaukee for the last 15 yrs but I've found new appreciation for the Makita 18v impact drivers, drills, and saws. The cordless Makita 6 1/2" saw will saw through anything and the batteries last forever. My most recent purchase was an 18v Makita all purpose saw. It's a monster.

Does anyone know how to convert old receivers and speakers to wifi? Are there adaptors?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:19 am My shop tools are Powermatic, Jet, Hitachi, and Delta. Battery hand tools are mostly Milwaukee for the last 15 yrs but I've found new appreciation for the Makita 18v impact drivers, drills, and saws. The cordless Makita 6 1/2" saw will saw through anything and the batteries last forever. My most recent purchase was an 18v Makita all purpose saw. It's a monster.

Does anyone know how to convert old receivers and speakers to wifi? Are there adaptors?
I would think (but please understand I'm like a 3.5/10 on this stuff) that the easiest/cheapest path would be a bluetooth dongle (with a 3.5mm male plug) such that you can run audio from your phone/tablet/computer to the receiver/speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+do ... oa-p_12_14
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Thanks, Fish, that's a new world . . .

I'm thinking there are wifi RC connectors for the speaker/out connection on my amp, and wifi receivers that I can put on the back of my speakers. Is this a thing?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Rain jackets. Staying dry is worth the money.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's the generic version of a rain jacket?

trash bags custom tailored with some duct tape?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

for a sec, i thought this was going all Shirley’s Law
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:55 am Thanks, Fish, that's a new world . . .

I'm thinking there are wifi RC connectors for the speaker/out connection on my amp, and wifi receivers that I can put on the back of my speakers. Is this a thing?
Another thing worth spending extra money on to get the good stuff. Audio equipment. I was sitting in the Spud Lounge a couple of weeks ago and a woman says to me, "is this a different recording of Radiohead - In Rainbows? I have never heard this version of these songs before." Now to be honest, she might have been a little high. But she knew what she was hearing.

Defix you just gotta get rid of the old receiver and start from scratch. All of the conversion tech is over a decade old and you will create an electronic Frankenstein monster and get no closer to wut you are looking for than what you started with. I know.

Get on usaudiomart or audiogon and look for a Bel Canto C5i. And get rid of your mp3 files and download your CDs in lossless format or just get a CD player with a digital out and run it into the dac spdif input on the Bel Canto. That woman in the Spud Lounge knows what I'm talking about.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Yeah . . . but does she know why she stayed at the Monte Villa hotel?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It was all clear the next morning when the fog dissipated. She stayed there because....she don't need any more reason, just because. The hot shower probably factored in as well.

I will help you on your journey grasshopper.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Grazie.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:19 am My shop tools are Powermatic, Jet, Hitachi, and Delta. Battery hand tools are mostly Milwaukee for the last 15 yrs but I've found new appreciation for the Makita 18v impact drivers, drills, and saws. The cordless Makita 6 1/2" saw will saw through anything and the batteries last forever. My most recent purchase was an 18v Makita all purpose saw. It's a monster.

love Jet and Delta. Expensive but nice. All my nail guns etc are Hitachi. I agree, Makita is nice, If I'd started with Makita I'd be a Makita guy...but battery system demands I stay Dewalt unless I do a full re-outfit.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:55 am Thanks, Fish, that's a new world . . .

Are you trying to get sound from your receiver to your speakers while converting your speakers to wireless? You'll need to utilize Bluetooth, not wifi. Wifi is what you'd use to get your equipment to talk to the internet, not to each other.

Here's a few different articles depending on what specifically you're trying to do. A google search of "how to convert wired stereo to wireless using bluetooth" will get you everything you need.

https://www.lifewire.com/convert-wired- ... ss-4173973

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/bluetooth-audio-adapters/

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-mak ... s-wireless
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Thanks, Coach, that's what I was wondering!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm Thanks, Coach, that's what I was wondering!
Read those articles carefully. You have wired/passive speakers. Passive means the speaker relies on an amplifier for power, that power comes through the speaker wire. Active speakers have amplifiers built into them, think subwoofers that you plug into an outlet. The only signal you send an active speaker is audio, which is why it is just a single RCA plug to connect to the amplifier.

The wire from your old school receiver carries both the power as well as the audio signal to your old school speakers. Most of the "receiver adaptors" in the articles are designed to get an audio signal via bluetooth to your receiver/amplifier. They call those devices "bluetooth receivers" because they will receive and convert a bluetooth signal to analog.

The big box you have sitting on the shelf in your shop is an old school "receiver" which is a tuner/amplifier combination. They called an integrated amplifier a "receiver" in olden times if it had a radio tuner in it. The bluetooth "receiver adapters" are not the same thing, they do not have an amplifier built in, they rely on the amplifier in your old school tuner/amplifier to power speakers. Those bluetooth devices will get a bluetooth signal to your amplifier and no further. You still have to run a speaker wire from your old school tuner/amplifier to your speaker, otherwise the speakers don't power up. The alternative is to put a bluetooth enabled amplifier on each speaker and plug each speaker into an outlet if you want to lose the wire from the old school tuner/amplifier to your old school speaker. At that point you have no need for the old school tuner/amplifier.

You can buy bluetooth speakers that plug into a wall outlet and take a bluetooth signal from your phone and have really small amplifiers built in pretty cheap. Making your old school passive speakers into bluetooth wireless speakers is a major DYI project.

Converting your old school receiver/amplifier to bluetooth/wireless is a simple thing as long as you have an open analog input on the back. Just know you aren't losing the wire to the speaker.