4 day work week!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: 4 day work week!

Post by ousdahl »

It’s about balancing economic productivity with actually having a life outside work.

And don’t get me wrong, economic productivity is good. It’s nice when things get done on time!

But it’s also nice to just be an actual human being sometimes, with friends and family and a social life and a creative life and a LIFE, rather than be stuck within an existence as little more than just some economic cog.

This would have to happen in some macro, where our entire society and economy and culture shifts its values. So pointing at individual anecdotes why it wouldn’t work right away is not considering this potential in the big picture.

Particularly considering how many of you guys have kids, you’d think you’d want every chance possible to spend more time with the fam, but go figure.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And there also seems some irony that many of the least flexible jobs in terms of schedule commitment and days or hours worked, are also often some of worst paying jobs too.

Aint classism fun?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

we should all be working to live, rather than living to work
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 am And there also seems some irony that many of the least flexible jobs in terms of schedule commitment and days or hours worked, are also often some of worst paying jobs too.

Aint classism fun?
This is why I went back to school and got a better job.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good for you! Glad you did! We need more folks with that mindset, and more and better such opportunities generally.

I’m tempted to ask whether Merica is one of the more difficult places to do so any more, with relatively more economic barriers - to education, childcare, healthcare, etc.

It almost seems like it’s set up to be some vicious cycle.

And bringing it back to the theme of the thread, perhaps more folks would have more chances to pursue higher education and career advancement if they weren’t so bound to the expectation to have so much of their schedule consumed by work?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We did not have kids until after we got out of school.
We both worked full time while in school.
It sucked for a few years but we're better off for it.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:34 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:29 am this entire discussion is theoretical
Yeah, but twocoach still needs to shit all over it. It's his thing
I was responding to this "if i can get just as much done working 32 hrs/wk rather than 40, just from being better “recharged” because of a longer weekend, then why not?

I don't know about you but I have never personally found a three day weekend to be capable of "recharging my battery" to the point of magically becoming 20% more productive. I you have 20% improvement that can be made in your efficiency just due to your inability to recover in a two day weekend then that's a problem you probably need to speak to a doctor about.

If I work 32 hours then I just have more work left to do when I return after the three day weekend. Frankly, a three day weekend mostly just means that I will have an extra day to fill my random time, which more often than not will just result in me spending money on something dumb.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t think that’s right, Ousie

it seems like, even though we are by no means perfect, we’ve got more opportunity for upward mobility now (for a greater number and diversity of citizens) than we have throughout our history
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 am And there also seems some irony that many of the least flexible jobs in terms of schedule commitment and days or hours worked, are also often some of worst paying jobs too.

Aint classism fun?
It's likely due to the types of work rather than "classism". You can't just show up at a restaurant and work from 10pm to midnight to make up for taking two hours off to watch your kid do something like I can.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 am Good for you! Glad you did! We need more folks with that mindset, and more and better such opportunities generally.

I’m tempted to ask whether Merica is one of the more difficult places to do so any more, with relatively more economic barriers - to education, childcare, healthcare, etc.

And bringing it back to the theme of the thread, perhaps more folks would have more chances to pursue higher education and career advancement if they weren’t so bound to the expectation to have so much of their schedule consumed by work?
I haven't lived in any other country so I don't have anything to compare it to. There are tons of opportunities to pursue higher education. Loans are available. Trade schools are more plentiful than ever. Community Colleges teach many more job specific classes than ever. Websites exist now to give people ample opportunities to find childcare that didn't exist in years past. Healthcare is available to more people than ever. None of the things you are saying seem to be actually true.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:06 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 am Good for you! Glad you did! We need more folks with that mindset, and more and better such opportunities generally.

I haven't lived in any other country so I don't have anything to compare it to. There are tons of opportunities to pursue higher education. Loans are available. Trade schools are more plentiful than ever. Community Colleges teach many more job specific classes than ever. Websites exist now to give people ample opportunities to find childcare that didn't exist in years past. Healthcare is available to more people than ever. None of the things you are saying seem to be actually true.
Spoken like a true white guy. Well done.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:18 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:06 am

Spoken like a true white guy. Well done.
Are non-whites ineligible to receive student loans, access the internet or sign up for Obamacare? I was unaware.