Boulder game cancelled

Coffee talk.
sdoyel

Re: Boulder game cancelled

Post by sdoyel »

Bill Self said the entire team is double vaxed and all but a few are boosted. Covid shouldn’t be much of a concern for this team.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I miss the 50’s.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 pm Bill Self said the entire team is double vaxed and all but a few are boosted. Covid shouldn’t be much of a concern for this team.
Famous last words. If they keep testing asymptomatic people covid is a concern for every team.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:54 am
sdoyel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 pm Bill Self said the entire team is double vaxed and all but a few are boosted. Covid shouldn’t be much of a concern for this team.
Famous last words. If they keep testing asymptomatic people covid is a concern for every team.
I don’t wake up every day and test myself. That’s the point. If you’re vaxed and/or boosted what’s the purpose?

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

sdoyel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:26 am
I don’t wake up every day and test myself. That’s the point. If you’re vaxed and/or boosted what’s the purpose?
To make sure you're not positive and spreading covid?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:30 am

That's all fine. But I do think there is some recalibrating to be done on acceptable risks. There are a number of reasons to think we needn't be as hyper-conservative as we have been, including (1) we're finally starting to test at reasonably-acceptable levels, meaning of course we're finding more positives, (2) vaccines and boosters are widely available and (3) all evidence to date suggests that fully-vaccinated (and boosted) people are at very low risk for severe disease.

I think it's just reality that it will be impossible to have sports if we're going to cancel for positives like this. To me, I think vaxxed-only public things (like sports and movie theaters and so on) are the rational path forward (and that path does not require shutting things down because of a couple positives).
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

This.

A vaccine doesn’t prevent the spread of Rona. It minimizes the symptoms and thus the chances of being hospitalized.

I saw Bill mention affecting the immune compromised. Yeah, that is true but if you are immune compromised even the common RSV could be deadly.

Not to further derail this thread but the only way sports are going to go on without further delays or pauses is either to stop testing or normalize having COVID with the proper vaccinations.

We will never fully eradicated COVID but unlike two years ago there are ways to safely manage it.
Holidaysmore - 2005
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Wear a mask. Stay home. Get vaccinated.

The average Joe doesn’t have the luxury to wake up every day and administer a self-test.

Time to move on with life.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:13 am

The average Joe doesn’t have the luxury to wake up every day and administer a self-test.

The average Joe doesn't have the opportunity to just "stay home" either. Do you want KU hoops to just "stay home" and cancel their season or do you want them to go out into public and play games to entertain you?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

They only test after someone complains of symptoms. Then they test those that the symptomatic person has been around. They aren't just administering tests to everyone every morning regardless. That would be insanely expensive.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:18 am
sdoyel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:13 am

The average Joe doesn't have the opportunity to just "stay home" either. Do you want KU hoops to just "stay home" and cancel their season or do you want them to go out into public and play games to entertain you?
2 years into this, I fully expect Average Joe to understand the risks as well as “expectations” of being fully vaccinated.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:20 am
They only test after someone complains of symptoms. Then they test those that the symptomatic person has been around. They aren't just administering tests to everyone every morning regardless. That would be insanely expensive.
How do you know this as fact?

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

If they haven't been testing asymptomatic people then why did the NFL and NBA just say they're maybe going to stop testing asymptomatic people and not make asymptomatic people sit out?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Suggested before, but if every Merican got and took tests every day for a couple weeks, couldn’t we identify and isolate much of this?

Not that Mericans would ever buy in.

For instance! I’m sitting there feeling ashamed for being the only doods in Boulder not wearing masks, particularly in my KU gear so I’m making my alma mater look like a buncha ignorant rednecks. I feel like all the crunchy Boulderites are looking down their noses at us, not that I can see their noses cuz they’re masked.

Meanwhile, beav is there just oblivious.

I ask if he has a mask, or if he’s seen anywhere offering any. He replies, I ain’t gonna put it on unless somebody asks me to.

I mention every door in town has a sign asking to mask before entrance, and in case he hasn’t noticed, we’re the only ones not masked. He hadn’t noticed.

He puffs up in that stubborn magahead kinda way, and then declares, “well that sounds like a THEM problem”

I can’t even.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Here is my stance: if it's safe enough to have a stadium full of thousands of vaccinated people who aren't required to test then it's safe for the vaccinated players to play if they feel well enough to play without being tested at all.

Either cancel shit because it's not safe or play the games. I'd rather they just play the games. More people get covid at those games standing in concession lines than they do catching it from players or players passing to players.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, the idea of going to a crowded indoor event during a pandemic is dumb to begin with.

But, come on, I don’t wanna be a bad fan either.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You guys are going to make pdub lose his shit.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:44 am Suggested before, but if every Merican got and took tests every day for a couple weeks, couldn’t we identify and isolate much of this?

Not that Mericans would ever buy in.

For instance! I’m sitting there feeling ashamed for being the only doods in Boulder not wearing masks, particularly in my KU gear so I’m making my alma mater look like a buncha ignorant rednecks. I feel like all the crunchy Boulderites are looking down their noses at us, not that I can see their noses cuz they’re masked.

Meanwhile, beav is there just oblivious.

I ask if he has a mask, or if he’s seen anywhere offering any. He replies, I ain’t gonna put it on unless somebody asks me to.

I mention every door in town has a sign asking to mask before entrance, and in case he hasn’t noticed, we’re the only ones not masked. He hadn’t noticed.

He puffs up in that stubborn magahead kinda way, and then declares, “well that sounds like a THEM problem”

I can’t even.
1st part: no. It's too widespread. It sill take more like 2 months than 2 weeks of total extreme lockdown and rigorous testing. Neither side wants that.

2nd part: don't blame beaver. You're an adult. If you were embarrassed you'd have acquired a mask.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

If sports leagues want to get to the point where they can stop testing fully vaccinated, asymptomatic people, then they should make the vaccine mandatory. If everyone is fully vaccinated and every game, the biggest risk is fully vaccinated people spreading it to other fully vaccinated people, then it becomes like every other communicable disease. The vaccine is proven to work against serious illness, hospitalization, and death so if you want to treat it like the flu or the common cold, make everyone get vaccinated.