sdoyel

Re: Big 12 Game Thread #1 - vs. Oklahoma

Post by sdoyel »

Meh.

3 biggest issues I see with this team:

1 Turnovers
2 Bad 3pt shooting
3 The inability for Dedric and Dok to co-exist

All of these things can be fixed. #3 is what will be the most difficult (I fear).
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 pm We sucked ass in the 2nd half but looks like we will finish this one.
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 pm OK, Lawson, it's your time now. Instead he stands there doing nothing.
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 pm Moore, I really wanted to say nice things about you for your performance tonight but those bricks make it very challenging.
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:47 pm Friggin' Garrett
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm Dok on the ground fighting for the ball. Lawson standing there watching him. Yuck.
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 pm So who has weaker hands that get the ball stripped more, Dedric Lawson or Mitch Lightfoot?
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:19 pm I need another beer. Woof.
All that during a good win = relax for sure.
Fuck off. If it bugs you then don't read it. I will enjoy the game how I choose.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“Why does Dedric make the exact same shots when Dok is out that he misses when Dok is in?”

This.
The only shot that Dedric had that was different than the ones he missed when Dok was in was the second abuse of Manek when he hit a 10 foot jumper on the baseline.
Maybe it’s mental but I think it’ll get figured out. Our peak lineup is those two co-existing and Grimes playing more or less like he did last night.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 am “Why does Dedric make the exact same shots when Dok is out that he misses when Dok is in?”

This.
The only shot that Dedric had that was different than the ones he missed when Dok was in was the second abuse of Manek when he hit a 10 foot jumper on the baseline.
Maybe it’s mental but I think it’ll get figured out. Our peak lineup is those two co-existing and Grimes playing more or less like he did last night.
Agreed. He seemed to be rushing things in the 2nd half when Dok came back like he was gonna get his shot at the first opportunity before Dok had a chance to set up and need to be fed.

There are certainly opportunities to be had if Lawson is patient and let's things set up. Dok gets so much attention that Lawson could find some easy baskets if he is patient. Self will get it figured out and Lawson will hopefully listen when the message is delivered.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:21 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 pm lulz

I like to watch the dumbassery when it's close.
Weird. I like to watch and talk about the game when it's close. To each their own I guess.
Who are you?

You shit yourself like Doyel. You miss the point like Illy. You respond with more dumbassery like Imzy. Are they all your socks? Or are you theirs?
Why are you and Illy even in this thread? Both of you posted to this thread 5 times and they were all putdowns of other users or their posts. None of the 10 posts were about the actual game.

You came to a game thread specifically looking to put down fellow KU fans.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:27 am Why are you and Illy even in this thread? Both of you posted to this thread 5 times and they were all putdowns of other users or their posts. None of the 10 posts were about the actual game.

You came to a game thread specifically looking to put down fellow KU fans.
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 pm
16/66 for his career now....worse % this year than last year.

But the kid can play some defense, rebound, and get out in transition. He's very useful. I enjoy watching him play.
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:36 pm He's fine. He's not going to score as much when Dok is getting dunks. Dok scores easier than him against most teams. He should pass the ball to Dok and score when it comes within the offense. It's easier to isolate Dok for a dunk, than spread everyone out and have dedric driving and kicking to guys that aren't hitting a bunch of 3s every night.

Dedric will adjust.
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 pm Relax. We struggle to score at times. It's no secret. We don't need to do this every game. We're up 8pts. And can't throw it in the ocean from 3pt land.
#fakenews
Those are my posts from during the game.

And again, nobody put down "fans" (plural)...only YOU...stop being a pussy and complaining because you were melting down during a relatively stress free victory over a ranked team.

For fucks sake that's one of the best 3 or 4 games we've played all year!..if you're going to make false claims it'd probably be best to do it in a thread that isn't only 7 pages and is easy to go back and gather quotes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

what gets posted and what twocoach interprets are seldom the same thing.

If his posts weren't 500 words long, I'd question if he was literate.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Dok needs to become a better passer though. I think sometimes he puts up a shot (which im sure hes being told to do) because he doesnt know how to look for the open man. His bball IQ isnt extremely high. That being said we sre definitely better with him in the game. Amd dotson continues to surpass even optimistic expectations
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think twocoach was 'flaming' during the second half where we let the Sooners get within four points.
We didn't look good - that definitely wasn't in our best 3 or 4 halves we've played all year.
I'd argue it was in our worst 5 halves we've played all year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Devon Dotson has one or two moments every game where you go 'whoa'.
I get that with Vick sometimes with his tough shots but with Dotson, it's usually something unique you don't see as often, and typically has to do with dribbling/getting to the basket.
Last night's recovery just before he crossed half court where he dribbled it low to the ground to get out of trouble was his 'whoa' moment.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:34 am Dok needs to become a better passer though. I think sometimes he puts up a shot (which im sure hes being told to do) because he doesnt know how to look for the open man. His bball IQ isnt extremely high. That being said we sre definitely better with him in the game. Amd dotson continues to surpass even optimistic expectations
To be fair, Dok gets rushed a ton because when he gets the ball down low, there is at least 1, maybe 2 more guys coming at him in a hurry and he has to shoot or risk turning the ball over. And with his FG percentage above 70%, it's a pretty good bet to take that he'll make the shot instead of trying to kick it out to a below average 3 point shooter
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:34 am Dok needs to become a better passer though. I think sometimes he puts up a shot (which im sure hes being told to do) because he doesnt know how to look for the open man. His bball IQ isnt extremely high. That being said we sre definitely better with him in the game. Amd dotson continues to surpass even optimistic expectations
To be fair, Dok gets rushed a ton because when he gets the ball down low, there is at least 1, maybe 2 more guys coming at him in a hurry and he has to shoot or risk turning the ball over. And with his FG percentage above 70%, it's a pretty good bet to take that he'll make the shot instead of trying to kick it out to a below average 3 point shooter
Agreed. But there are times that when that double comes dedric slips behind them and if Dok could dump the ball to the cutter itd be a dunk (well not with dedric but yknow) and that would make it dangerous to double Dok leading to easier shots for him.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am I think twocoach was 'flaming' during the second half where we let the Sooners get within four points.
Regardless of when, comparing dedric's hands to mitch's is pretty fucking stupid and over the top. Apparently telling him to "relax" after that is coming to the thread only to put down a bunch of KU fans.....?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

telling anyone to relax in a game thread is a fool’s errand
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

An ugly win is still a win. Let"s save our meltdowns for losses. Suggestion only.

Carry-on how you feel led.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:43 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am I think twocoach was 'flaming' during the second half where we let the Sooners get within four points.
Regardless of when, comparing dedric's hands to mitch's is pretty fucking stupid and over the top. Apparently telling him to "relax" after that is coming to the thread only to put down a bunch of KU fans.....?
Comment on the game in the game thread.

When good plays happened, I commented on them. When bad plays happened, I commented on them. If some of my comments seem too stupid for you or you do not feel comfortable with my positive comment to negative comment ratio, then take your own advice and utilize the ignore feature.

And for the record, telling someone to relax in the game thread is about as useful and welcome as telling your wife to relax in an argument. It is rarely well received.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 am Devon Dotson has one or two moments every game where you go 'whoa'.
I get that with Vick sometimes with his tough shots but with Dotson, it's usually something unique you don't see as often, and typically has to do with dribbling/getting to the basket.
Last night's recovery just before he crossed half court where he dribbled it low to the ground to get out of trouble was his 'whoa' moment.
He also does a great job in disrupting plays on defense by just having a knack to put himself in the right spot at the right time. Josh Jackson also did that a lot and I love it.

Every time I see Dotson play, I feel like the number of seasons he will be here shrinks. Both sad and awesome. He is fun to watch.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's here 2.
He'll be an All American ( like 2nd/3rd team ) candidate next year and bounce.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mason and Graham's Sr. seasons have got to be the selling point to keep Dotson. Basically he could leave now and be a fringe first rounder, or stay lead a team, pick up a ton of hardware and play his way into the lottery.

At 20, he can do that (move up to the top of the draft), whereas Graham and Mason couldn't.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

All depends if his 1st contract is the most important to him or his 2nd contract.

He would likely find his way onto an NBA roster if he decides to leave after this year. But he'd be less prepared to overcome going to a bad fit or bad organization at developing players....if he stays in college for another year or 2 he'd be more prepared to overcome something like that...but he'd also be risking injury and giving up a year or 2 of earning potential in an already limited window of earning potential possibility....and the NBA will only give you so long before they give up on you.

I'm not sure what he should do. Typically I lean going to the NBA as quickly as possible. But with a somewhat small PG who isn't a great shooter I may lean staying in college in this particular instance.