Car rentals

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Car rentals

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am
Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am One nice thing about Turo is that you can guarantee exactly what kind of vehicle you're getting. So, if ous wants to make sure he gets a 4WD SUV, Turo is the best way to go.
Right; we're going to Hawaii next week, and might get an open-everything Jeep for a day or two, just to fool around.
Which island?
Maui. Certainly, advice welcome.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 pm Similar story to fish: Had to use Enterprise b/c they were the only ones that had cars left--they employ mostly ex-D1 athletes whom are trained and naturally equipped to aggressively upsell. Told the guy I was driving from DEN to Cripple Creek and his aggressive upsell was an Escalade for that ride. What?

Then in central Illinois, the only car left was a Chrysler 300 and there was an ice storm expected. Got stuck in the hotel parking lot/ice rink.

Now that I think of it, what a headache of an industry.
Maybe the worst, tip to tail. And there's no good reason for it except, I guess, an insanely-high barrier to entry.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:08 pm My only concern with Turo is getting in a wreck. I got rear-ended in a rental car, and while I know that Turo is insured-up and there's no risk from that standpoint, there's just zero emotions involved when it's a rental car company's car that gets fucked up.

Also haven't used Turo from an airport, so have no clue how convenient that would be.
You have to filter down. Most Turo rentals I have done dropped off the car at baggage claim and picked it up at departures.

At LAX, we took a 5 minute car ride to a Turo specific lot.

A lot nicer to vacation in an Audi convertible versus a Malibu
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It seems like it really comes down to whether for a particular trip you have to have a certain car or not.

Back in the day when I was Hertz President's Circle, I would routinely get Audi's and Benz's for the cost of standard, sometimes 15-20 bucks/day. But couldn't count on it. Granted, vast majority of trips were for work.

Carshare and traditional rental each have their place. I tend to stick with traditional given the familiarity of the process at every airport--Turo a great option though that I use in spots. Now, lodging, give me a hotel 95 times out of 100 over an airbnb.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:50 pm
JKLivin wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am

Right; we're going to Hawaii next week, and might get an open-everything Jeep for a day or two, just to fool around.
Which island?
Maui. Certainly, advice welcome.
I've been on Kauai and Oahu. Enjoy Maui. I've heard it is great.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:32 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:08 pm My only concern with Turo is getting in a wreck. I got rear-ended in a rental car, and while I know that Turo is insured-up and there's no risk from that standpoint, there's just zero emotions involved when it's a rental car company's car that gets fucked up.

Also haven't used Turo from an airport, so have no clue how convenient that would be.
You have to filter down. Most Turo rentals I have done dropped off the car at baggage claim and picked it up at departures.

Probably a dumb question and one I could find the answer to myself but I will ask it anyway/s.
What is the advantage to using Turo over a "regular" car rental company?
I ask because at LAX I have taken a 5 minute shuttle ride to get whatever car I chose to rent and in the not so distant past it was unbelievably INexpensive to rent "performance sports cars" and "luxury performance cars" from Enterprise Exotics.
Less than renting a standard Mustang convertible from most rental agencies. Not sure how it is today but for me at the time/s it was a no brainer.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Probably a dumb question and one I could find the answer to myself but I will ask it anyway/s.
I ask because at LAX I have taken a 5 minute shuttle ride to get whatever car I chose to rent and in the not so distant past it was unbelievably INexpensive to rent "performance sports cars" and "luxury performance cars" from Enterprise Exotics.
Less than renting a standard Mustang convertible from most rental agencies. Not sure how it is today but for me at the time/s it was a no brainer.
You're sort of alluding to one of the more confounding things about the "big box" rental car experience, which is the insane rental rate volatility.

Once I book something, I always check again every few days when on hold or something. 9 times out of 10, I'll end up with either or both a much better car and/or a much better rate by the time I travel.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:24 pm

You're sort of alluding to one of the more confounding things about the "big box" rental car experience, which is the insane rental rate volatility.

Once I book something, I always check again every few days when on hold or something. 9 times out of 10, I'll end up with either or both a much better car and/or a much better rate by the time I travel.
Bingo! I have found the same to be true.
On another semi related note - I hope you enjoy your trip to Maui!
I haven't been there in 32 years but one thing I assume that hasn't changed, driving around the island, it's an extremely aesthetically relaxing and peaceful place to be.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

All about supply. They don't want the vehicles just sitting on the lot all weekend.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

is there a Hawaiian island that isn’t great?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:54 pm is there a Hawaiian island that isn’t great?
Molokai, for a time.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I like Turo because I can rent a car that I actually WANT to drive. I get to pick it out, whether it is a badass lifted Jeep, a drop top sports car, a McLaren or a mini van.
I always do the diligence to make sure the terms fit me, there are potential pitfalls if you don’t
Last edited by Overlander on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

i spent this whole thread thinking Turo was a new model of car or something. Jeeps comment makes me think its something different altogether.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 pm

I like Turo because I can rent a car that I actually WANT to drive. I get to pick it out, whether it is a badass lifted Jeep, a drop top sports car, a McLaren or a mini van.
I always do the diligence to make sure the terms fit me, there are potential pitfalls if you don’t
That makes sense. Obviously a much bigger selection and you can pick out the EXACT car you want.
I assume like Airbnb, many people buy cars they don't actually use themselves and strictly "rent" out?
I assume it must be profitable for them - or they wouldn't do it - but I'm wondering how one determines the exact monetary risks and rewards in/for doing it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 pm i spent this whole thread thinking Turo was a new model of car or something. Jeeps comment makes me think its something different altogether.
Whew, I thought I was the only one.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:27 am

That makes sense. Obviously a much bigger selection and you can pick out the EXACT car you want.
I assume like Airbnb, many people buy cars they don't actually use themselves and strictly "rent" out?
I assume it must be profitable for them - or they wouldn't do it - but I'm wondering how one determines the exact monetary risks and rewards in/for doing it.
Yes, there are a lot of people who own numerous cars that they rent there. They are usually the ones with sneaky fees, so I have really stayed away from them.

The majority that I have rented (several dozen) have been folks simply renting out their personal cars.

No idea on profits, but the math seems to work.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am
TDub wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 pm i spent this whole thread thinking Turo was a new model of car or something. Jeeps comment makes me think its something different altogether.
Whew, I thought I was the only one.
Back to the cave boys, randy has breakfast ready for you.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:27 am

Yes, there are a lot of people who own numerous cars that they rent there. They are usually the ones with sneaky fees, so I have really stayed away from them.

The majority that I have rented (several dozen) have been folks simply renting out their personal cars.

No idea on profits, but the math seems to work.
I would imagine there are a number of people who can work from home (or take transit or whatever) who throw their cars on there as a "why not". If they can make back their insurance or car payment or whatever, sure.